RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:58:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Determining Value 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Determining Value  (Read 1913 times)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »

I've got two questions about this topic.

I'm wondering how other RF Gen members determine value when out at flea markets or pawn shops. These two types of places seem to have different pricing/valuing methods than, let's say, thrift store.

Case in point, today I was at a pawn shop and spotted two copies of Super Mario World, one for $10, the other was $15. When I came home and researched the price I had Video Game Price Charting quoting $4.75 and Rarity Guide.com showing $13.

Also, with the seemingly inconsistent value data out there how do you whether you've found a decent deal or a rip off?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »

Also, with the seemingly inconsistent value data out there how do you whether you've found a decent deal or a rip off?

Just ask "are you happy with your purchase?". Thats how you determine if you got a decent deal or were ripped off.

None of these items are sold with an MSRP anymore so the price is only what people are willing to pay. Some people would pass on a Super Mario World until they found one for $5 or less. Others are quite happy to dish out $20. If the person that paid $20 had some fun with the game I wouldn't say he got ripped off in the least.

You can go by past sales to get a ballpark figure for something, but there are so many variables that its impossible to say "Game X is worth $Y!". How nostalgic are you for said game? Whats the condition of the game? Do you have many opportunities to pick it up locally? Does it come with the Box/Manual? Is it a variant? How popular is the game? etc. etc. etc.

Just pay what your happy with and then you'll only get decent deals!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »

Very well put, Crabby.

This is an excellent topic. I'm learning more and more about this kind of stuff each day as I search for treasure and wheel n' deal with other collectors.

I lean on completed ebay auctions a lot, maybe too much. I don't have pawn shops or flea markets near me. I go to the salvation army a lot but they charge .99 for anything in a cd case and 1.99 for anything in a dvd case so obviously, no help there. For anything previous generation or newer there's obviously regular retail as well.

I do use pricecharting a lot, but you have factor in that they are not specifying the conditions of the items, just the price.

If you haven't listened to the last episode of the collectorcast, I would highly recommend it.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »

Also your relationship, or potential relationship, to the vendor should be a BIG factor. I've bought "over-priced" games several times from one particular place in town. In return I get occasional bulk deals, he has a list of my most wanted items to watch for, freebies, contact with people selling games, good conversation, etc.

I also wouldnt charge Duke.Togo the same price if selling him a game as opposed to someone who just joined the site and jumped into the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

i also sometimes give friends a good deal. i have a gamer friend that i regularly give games to for free if i don't want them anymore. and just today i bought some NES games boxed off a friend for a little above Ebay prices (not counting shipping) because he had a long drive to get them to me. i do have limits, like if it's a game i know i could sell easily for a decent price then i'm more likely to say that i'd want the market value otherwise it would be a bad loss for me, but that doesn't happen very often.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

The "happy with the purchase" idea makes sense. I've always understood the nostalgia factor, but what you say is very rational.

I guess it's safe to say that value is too subjective once  the physical aspects (box/manual, overall condition) have been taken into consideration. I understand giving friends a break and compensating them if they went out of their way for you.

As far as thrift stores go, at least near me, electronics/video games have set prices which are pretty reasonable. So I'm not concerned about that.

When you go into a flea market or pawn shop would you say, "Hey there, my name's 'X' and I collect video games."? I often hear of the significance of building and maintain relationships with shopkeepers.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:17:42 PM »

When you go into a flea market or pawn shop would you say, "Hey there, my name's 'X' and I collect video games."? I often hear of the significance of building and maintain relationships with shopkeepers.

Make small talk with the vendor. They aren't always into games, but as long as you're friendly and buy something once and a while they will remember you. As long as you stay in their good books you definitely want them to remember you Wink

There are a couple pawn shops in town that I visit often and chat with the employees (movies, music, games, children, whatever), but rarely buy anything from. They know me by name and even recognize my family now. It only happens maybe once a year or so, but they'll see me come in and go "Hey, we just got this in a couple days ago and I immediately thought of you!" and then pull some gaming stuff out from behind the counter. Its generally worth the effort to maintain that relationship, even if its just to see a friendly face 9 times out of 10.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »

I find RarityGuide to be almost comically inaccurate. I mean they list Super Mario World as having a higher rarity value than Earthbound. Seriously.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »

i was in a thrift store that was game focused a while back and they had a buy one get one 50% off sale on, and they had mario paint CIB for $80 which was a lot more than i was willing to spend. so i asked if it would be cheating to get a $10 game i wanted and count that as the first one at full price, and get mario paint as the 50% off one Lol. she laughed and said ya that would be cheating. i said that's what i thought, but i had to ask because $80 was too high for me, i was thinking more like $50-60 at most. so she said well if you really want it i could call the manager and ask if he would do $60, it's been on the shelf for a long time. i kept looking around and she came to tell me he said i could get the $10 game and mario paint, taxes included, for $70 Cheesy.

the point i was trying to make is even if you don't know them well (i had never talked to this girl before), just be friendly and don't be afraid to ask even if you think they would say no, it may open the conversation into some sort of deal like i got.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »

Thanks guys. Based on what we've discussed it seems that value can only be determined by looking at your satisfaction with the asking price, condition, completeness, and nostalgia factor.

This question has been on my mind lately because I've only been collecting for a couple months. I feel like I'm learning a lot.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »

ya it's really what you're willing to pay, but it does help to get a rough idea from looking around online. like say you find something on craigslist but don't know what it's worth, just skim through the completed listings for it on ebay, check other auction sites like gamegavel, or anywhere else you might buy games online. or ask on the rfgen price check thread of course. the prices you see might be completely different than what you end up paying, but at least it'll let you know if something you're looking at is a good deal or way overpriced. from there you can decide if the extra cost even matters to you based on your desire to have it anyway, if you can't get them to sell lower that is.
thomassellingoriginal
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »

I am new to the site, I would appreciate some help. I cant seem to enter chat, my other question is determing value on a complete nintendo power set nes-pswh-us-2, all original materials, manuals, original poster, power pad, warranty registration card, zapper gun, dual controls, 3 games that it came with( super mario bros., duck hunt, world class track meet  and box included. all in perfect condition i would appreciate some help in steering me in the right direction. Thank you
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length