RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:32:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sega acquired all shares of THQ Canada including some IPs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega acquired all shares of THQ Canada including some IPs  (Read 1517 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:24 PM »

SEGA Corporation (Headquarters: Tokyo, President, Representative Director, and Chief Operating Officer: Naoya Tsurumi, “SEGA”) acquired all of shares of THQ Canada Inc. (Headquarters: Vancouver, Canada, “THQ Canada”) and some IPs owned by THQ Inc., a parent company of THQ Canada on January 24, 2013 in order to further reinforce PC game development capabilities in the U.S. and European regions. THQ Canada has developed million-seller franchise titles such as “Warhammer 40k Dawn of War” and “Company of Heroes” under the brand of Relic Entertainment Studio.

Relic Entertainment was established in 1997 and acquired by THQ Canada in 2004. THQ Canada have been known familiarly as Relic Entertainment since the acquisition and provided a number of high quality games equipped with graphics equal in quality to movies and rich strategic game features mainly for the PC market in the U.S. and European regions. THQ Canada provides several million seller franchise titles, and its representative products include the “Warhammer 40k Dawn of War” series,.  As a series Warhammer 40k Dawn of War has sold more than 7 million copies worldwide, whilst the “Company of Heroes” series, a real time strategy game based on the modern history of warfare from World War II and after,  has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide.

“We are thrilled to have Relic Entertainment join the SEGA family. The acquisition is a strategic fit and a critical step in growing our business,” John Cheng, President and CFO, SEGA of America said. “They are a well-respected studio with a pedigree for making creative and innovative games and we look forward to seeing what great things we can create together over the coming years.”

SEGA already owns three development companies in the U.S. and Europe, and is progressing to support compatibility with the rapidly expanding online games field, such as PC online games, smartphone games and social games. As a result of the THQ Canada acquisition, SEGA will further advance the provision of various appealing entertainment contents by utilizing THQ Canada’s high-end content development capabilities and accumulated development know-how, and increase SEGA’s presence in the PC online game market.

source
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:39:20 PM by Cobra » Logged

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »

Results of THQ auctions:
http://www.trueachievemen...ts-of-the-thq-auction.htm

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:24:32 AM »

No one bought Vigil, the developers of Darksiders.  Cry.  I am sad.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:32:27 AM »

No one bought Vigil, the developers of Darksiders.  Cry.  I am sad.
Same here.

I seem to get all the sad stories of game series as my faves.

Shenmue
Mega Man Legends
Darksiders
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »

And then Sega destroys some more games when it releases pure shit. Sad Oh Sega how I miss the 90's.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »

So is buying relic going to help with Shining Force?

SEGA is rumored to announce a new Sonic game next month.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »

I heard Platinum Games has an interest in doing Darksiders, so hopefully something will come of that!

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »

I heard Platinum Games has an interest in doing Darksiders, so hopefully something will come of that!
I'd be all for it. They could give the polish the games needed. I just hope they get some of the artists from Vigil or Mimic the style
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

it might mean we get some for 40k games though. which is nice...

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »

Item #1 - Relic - Developer of the Company of Heroes titles and Warhammer 40k titles, includes all assets for Company of Heroes but NOT Warhammer 40k
Winning bidder: SEGA
Winning bid: $26.6 million
Back-up bidder: Zenimax Media
Back-up bid: $26.3 million

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

Vigil is dead:
http://www.austinchronicl...me-studio-vigil-to-close/

Platinum only interested if THQ sells for cheap
http://www.digitaltrends....for-its-signature-series/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:12:05 AM by Izret101 » Logged

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »

http://www.ps3trophies.or...umber-of-Vigil-Staff.html

Seems like Crytek was able to save some of the Vigil team and hire them for their new studio.
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 02:51:28 AM »

Retro Studios hired some vigil staff as well
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length