RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:44:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sega memories and fave Sega system 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega memories and fave Sega system  (Read 1573 times)
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »

You know in the last few years I have grown to be a massive SEGA fan. I am now more of a fan of SEGA than I was of Nintendo years ago. Seriously I just have SEGA everything systems to merchandise and I can never have enough. While I might be a old school poser as being a major fan of old school Sega now. I can at least say I started in the 90's with Game Gear in 1996. Then DC hype in 98.

I have often talked about those two so no need to repeat what has been said about my memories with GG & DC.
DC is still my fave system of all time but outside that it's very hard to choose a SEGA system as a fave. Why I have 2 options to make it easier. SMS is my fave 8 bit system. 16 bit it's hard for me as I love SNES,Genesis and TG16. I think it's equal ground there as I love them for different reasons.

32 bit era. Ok I have nostalgic memories with both PSone and N64. Psone one of the best libraries of all time. N64 known for it's handful of great classics. Now playing my Saturn. I think this is my fave of the 3. PSone and N64 broke ground and Saturn it was just broken ground. You know what that's ok. I love how it's mainly a fun machine. It's not changing the game with Mario 64 or oot or bringing gaming to the cool crowd with MGS or FF7. It had these wonderful charming arcade games or arcade style. Yes I know games like NiGHTS and Panzer Dragoon can be argued as the Saturns version of breaking ground. I feel it continues that sense of pure fun. Maybe just me but that holds up to me better in many ways than a game trying something new back then and since been perfected. Well without blabbing anymore Saturn already had the charm and fun factor perfected already.

So yes I think Saturn is becoming a second fave Sega system behind Dreamcast.
    The Metamorphosing Leon
    Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
    Donor
    United States

WWW Stats
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »

I suppose it is nice to know there can't be any more to collect.

When shall his new form be revealed?
    nupoile
    DB Contributor
    United States
    Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
    « Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »

Even before I read your thoughts Ryudo, I was going to say Saturn and Dreamcast. I haven't played all of Segas systems yet and didn't grow up with much chance to play any of them. It was so rare for me to get to play one when they were current, I think I distinctly remember each time I played a Genensis. The DC and Saturn just seemed to get something right, what that was I haven't figured out yet. I do like those two systems better than the PS1 and PS2 if that says anything.
    nintendork666
    N-Gage

Stats
    « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »

It's a real tough call for me between the Genesis, and Dreamcast. I also have really fond memories of playing Aladdin, Shinobi, Spider-man: Return of the Sinister Six, and Adventures of Batman & Robin on the Game Gear.

My Saturn doesn't interest me much, and I've never played an SMS, emulation aside.

So, yeah. Genesis, Dreamcast and Game Gear.

understatement
    Donor
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »

In terms of favorite Sega system out of all the Sega systems I’ll have to say the Sega CD and Saturn are my favorites.

If you go favorite systems among all systems in each era I don’t think I can honestly say I prefer a Sega system over everything else out at that point in time. Although somthing Sega always seems to be in second place where my first choice changes, so you could say Sega has a better over all average than the other companies do with me.

Crabmaster2000
    Podcast Crew
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »

Even though I grew up with the Genesis and one of my friends had a Sega CD when it was new I have very little nostalgia for Sega stuff. I cant really explain it either. I played a ton of Genesis and had a blast with it, one of the best gaming memories I have of my father (and those are pretty rare) even involved our Genesis. Despite that I'd much rather direct my attention to other consoles and games.

I also truely dont understand the Dreamcast love though . I think the domestic library is pretty weak.

The only Sega system I didnt grow up on was the Saturn and for some reason thats my favorite Sega console. I could see myself dedicating more resources to Saturn once my NES set is done.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
    http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
    noiseredux
    Blog Writer

WWW Stats
    « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »

Crabby, I'm not sure your aversion to imports but the DC lived on far longer in Japan than it did here. So really, only looking at US releases is a limited view of the library. That said, if you're not into fighters or shmups then maybe it's a bit more understandable to overlook the DC. But if you are then there's a ton to choose from. Beyond those genres lies an immensely interesting library of scattered brilliance but you might have to do a bit more digging is all.

Like others in this thread, I've too fallen pretty hard for the Saturn. So much so that calling it my "2nd favorite console" is pretty marginal at this point. I kinda feel like DC is my favorite when I'm playing DC games, and Saturn is my fav when playing Saturn games in a way.

And you all know I'm a Sega CD fan as well. I def think that's an overlooked system that gets a bad rep.

Growing up I had SMS, Genesis and Game Gear as well -- and while I certainly have a lot of nostalgia for them, for whatever reason I just find disc-based games more fun to collect these days. I guess I also find these 3 libraries to really tell a very interesting history.

Shadow Kisuragi
    Variant Collector
    Director
    United States
    Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
    « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »

I never owned anything Sega growing up, which is why the focus of my collection is Sega. I love the Saturn to death, even if it is the bastard child of the 3D age. My wife even expressed a growing interest in collecting JP Saturn games last night when we were cleaning up the game room, since everyone had a blast when I was stumbling my way through a striptease Mahjong title.

...oddly enough, I now know how to play Solitaire Mahjong. How's that work out for motivation?

Am4zingGam3r
    Sega 32X
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »

Master System, Dreamcast, Genesis, & Game Gear for me!

techwizard
    Donor
    Canada

Stats
    « Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

i never had much experience with sega growing up either, definitely not with any of their systems when they were new. i did get a master system and genesis at some point around when i was 11 or 12 though and enjoyed the few games i had for those. i never really played them as thoroughly as i did my nintendo stuff though, and i only had experience with a handful of games. monster boy in wonder land and Shinobi for the SMS are the only ones i remember that much of, and for genesis only Sonic 2.

since i started collecting i picked up a dreamcast and a saturn, both of which i had zero experience with before and was really impressed with what i saw. most of the DC games i've played so far look great, almost as good as PS2 level graphics, and the controller feels a lot more comfortable than i expected it to. Saturn surprised me too for a system that's from the same era as n64 and PSone it had some pretty good visuals. the controls at time felt awkward but that could just be my unfamiliarity with the controller. the shoulder buttons feel stiff, like they don't actually move when i press them but they still seem to register the presses in the game. not sure if that's how they all are or if my controller is wonky. either way i liked what i saw and look forward to getting more games for both systems.

also just last week i finally got around to replacing the capacitors in my Game Gear and now the screen works perfectly so i'm looking forward to trying those games finally. i just need to fix the sound, the built in speaker is really quiet but the caps i need are on their way from ebay, i heard those will fix the sound issues too. headphone quality sounds fine though.
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:51:38 PM by techwizard » Logged
    Leynos
    Atari 7800
    United States

Stats
    « Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »

Vectorguy
    Jaguar CD
    United States

WWW Stats
    « Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »

I started out with the Sega Master System, then sold it to get my Genesis.  Yeah I know, I shouldn't have done that, but I wasn't very impressed with the games, although several of the ones the kid got that owned it before me weren't that great, and now it'll be tough to replace them (the SMS didn't sell real well here in the States).

The Genesis still gets quite a bit of play; it's my #2 all-time favorite system, right behind the Atari 2600.  I spent a lot of time exploring and making notes for Starflight, was interested in when the media was bitching about introducing ratings for video games when The Immortal somehow seemed to slip underneath the radar, and other stuff that I got.

I got a used Sega CD when it was down to only $70, and just started playing Ecco the Tides of Time after having it for 10 years right now Smiley (lotta crap and nonsense in the way delayed that, like only having a 13" tv for several years across the room, which I didn't want to get killed by small stuff I might not be able to see, for instance!).  Some interesting tidbits from there included being surprised that Michael Dorn, Worf from Star Trek: The Next Generation did the introductory dialog for Stellar-Fire, along with thinking Silpheed was just a next generation version of Zaxxon (one stage in particular made me think of Zaxxon) when I rented it once, then I later got it on clearance for only $8 and enjoyed it a bit better, along with trying to find out for years (on and off) why on earth the death metal band Bolt Thrower was thanked in the ending credits of Heart of the Alien.

I also got my 32X for cheap and it didn't even last a year due to leaving long games of Doom on pause (since you couldn't save a game or have passwords to it), but luckily once I got another 32X I was tired of it, so no more of that then. 

There's also tons of music I recorded from my Genesis, 32X and CD games as well, but I thought I'd end my happy memories there, and with more to come years from now (especially since in the last two years I've been able to back up my 32X and Genesis systems for real cheap at resale shops; who hoo!  Just need another CD and all my Sega stuff's backed up)!

Pages: [1] Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length