RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:32:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | TG-16 or 3DO? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Taking in all factors, which is the better system?
TG-16   -14 (93.3%)
3DO   -1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: TG-16 or 3DO?  (Read 2987 times)
jansolee66
Donor

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »

I agree that it's the TG-16 and it isn't particularly close. The TG-16 has very few bad games. It's excellent for shooters. It actually has several good pinball games. While it doesn't have a ton of RPGs, the ones that it has aren't bad. I very much enjoy Neutopia. I'm also a fan of the very simple controller. I find it controls extremely well.

The only downsides about the TG-16 are that it is relatively pricey (most non-loose hucard games are $20 and up in my area, at least) and that the sound chip isn't very good (i.e. it looks and plays like a genesis, but it feels and sounds like an NES).

The PC Engine Duo recommendation is spot on from what I've gathered (I'd like one eventually). The fact that it's not region locked makes it much more valuable than going the turbo duo route. I've wanted a Duo if only to hear the Music in Ys Books 1 and 2, which I keep hearing is amazing.

As for the 3DO, I think it's worth owning, but don't think you're going to be playing all sorts of great RPGs. Everybody wants Lucienne's Quest, but committing $300 to it seems extreme.

What you do get with the 3DO are a few decent racing games including, without a doubt, the very best port of Road Rash (a must own on the system). There are also a bunch of space shooters/simulations (you've mentioned some notable ones). I'm also a big fan of the Super Street Fighter II Turbo port on the system. One of the coolest things I find with the 3DO is that even though it's not the oldest of systems (granted, it's about 20 years old), it feels extremely retro because of the gratuitous use of (mostly terrible) FMV.

I happen to own the Goldstar model. I have no issues with it, but most people seem to prefer the looks of the Panasonic FZ-1 (front loader). I know some people prefer the FZ-10 (top loader) because it has less mechanical parts to break. I find the Panasonic controllers to be a bit more comfortable than the Goldstar ones.

As a collector, the 3DO is unique in that, whether or not you're into collecting cardboard, you almost have to be a "boxed" person to collect for the system (I'm not a cardboard guy, but I find myself pricing 3DO cardboard all of the time). It's the one thing that sets the 3DO apart from most other\ systems, in terms of collecting - those long cardboard boxes. It seems almost sacrilegious to collect for the 3DO and not go after long boxes. And it's important to remember that with cardboard comes costs.

So, long story short, definitely go for the TG-16 first. Save for a PC Engine Duo R instead, if you can. Later on, don't neglect to pick up a 3DO (any of them). Grab Road Rash and clear an unusually tall space on your shelf where you can keep those long boxes.    
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:02:18 AM by jansolee66 » Logged
o.pwuaioc
N-Gage

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »

It should be noted that the PC Engine beat the Mega Drive in numbers in Japan. It is a fantastic system and the 3DO isn't even close. The only problem is the price, but you'll get that with the 3DO as well.
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »

I never played the 3DO, but I had a friend give me his TG-16 with a bunch of games and I love it.  Wish I had the CD add-on, so I could play my Fighting Street. game.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

Thanks again for continued input! I'll save some scratch and try to get that Duo-R
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 02:36:10 AM »

Well I have had lots of opportunities in my city, to buy a 3DO. I have no interest. Going to buy a TG16 at the end of the month.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
todesengel
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »

I'll chime in and go with TurboGrafx as well, upgraded to a Duo-R a couple years ago and love it.  The PC Engine has been a pretty low cost console to get games for and the bonus of the CD's being region free is a big plus.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length