RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:40:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shmup Club January 2023 - Metal Black 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shmup Club January 2023 - Metal Black  (Read 18725 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: January 02, 2023, 11:04:52 AM »

Sometimes a game takes a very different path than expected, before it is released. Most of the team who designed the Taito shooter Gun Frontier returned for another shoot-em-up, at the time tentatively titled "Project Gun Frontier 2" as a starting point for development. At some point, the game was considered as a possible 3rd game in the Darius series. In the end, however, the project became its own game, with some of its own unique mechanics. What we ended up with is the now classic, Metal Black.

Released in arcades in 1991, and later on the Sega Saturn in 1996, Metal Black has a unique power-up system that sees you collecting small particles known as "Newalone" to gradually increase the power of your ship, until you reach maximum power. Once you do, you can unleash a beam of destruction to take out enemies. You can also use your beam to duel with bosses who will fire a similar beam. This ended up being a major inspiration for Taito's later Darius series game, G-Darius. Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in 2023, and pilot the CF-345 Black Fly alongside us, as we play the Taito classic Metal Black!

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
MightySquirrel

o.pwuaioc
N-Gage

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 12:05:13 AM »

This game is so underappreciated and in my opinion well holds its own against some of the more popular Saturn STGs (and probably my personal favorite). I think what really makes this a great game, besides the neat power-up mechanic, is the ambiance. It's darker, atmospheric music pairs well with the somewhat "isolating" feel you get of being in space. Despite the plethora of activities, you feel alone as you take on the baddies. It's wildly different from the power rocker or uplifting and glorious epic themes that some of its more immediate precursors were doing.

If you've never played before, get on it, because this game is awesome and worth owning for sure.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 06:20:28 PM »

This game is so underappreciated and in my opinion well holds its own against some of the more popular Saturn STGs (and probably my personal favorite). I think what really makes this a great game, besides the neat power-up mechanic, is the ambiance. It's darker, atmospheric music pairs well with the somewhat "isolating" feel you get of being in space. Despite the plethora of activities, you feel alone as you take on the baddies. It's wildly different from the power rocker or uplifting and glorious epic themes that some of its more immediate precursors were doing.

If you've never played before, get on it, because this game is awesome and worth owning for sure.

Indeed! Are you joining in with us this month?

Dingo
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 08:26:17 PM »

Damn! Shame I missed out on Metal Black! I would have loved to get more familiar with it. I’ve only played it a bit on mame but have access to Saturn now. Is there a thread for the feb/march shmup club?

"M.e. I eat dust."
Instagram: www.instagram.com/andrewoxt

Twitch: twitch.tv/dingo__
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 02:28:14 PM »

Damn! Shame I missed out on Metal Black! I would have loved to get more familiar with it. I’ve only played it a bit on mame but have access to Saturn now. Is there a thread for the feb/march shmup club?

I have kind of fallen off making the threads, and forgot to get one created for February. I need to get one done for March.

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 12:24:15 PM »

I have kind of fallen off making the threads, and forgot to get one created for February. I need to get one done for March.

Have you played Bio-Hazard Battle? I would join for that. 

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 07:28:24 AM »

We have not, but I definitely want to cover that game at some point, because it's a neat one!

Have you played Bio-Hazard Battle? I would join for that. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length