RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:43:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Multiplayer in GTA? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer in GTA?  (Read 6757 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: June 29, 2004, 11:30:43 PM »

I was discussing this with a couple friends the other night.  Would online multiplayer work in the GTA series? Personally, I can't think of a way that it would.  It seems to me that there would just be utter chaos and that the whole Grand Theft Auto play mechanic would be destroyed.  It'd be a completely different kind of game...  more like online State of Emergency with cars.  (Shudder.)  None of us could think of a way that Grand Theft Auto would work online and still play like Grand Theft Auto.  Can any of you?  I'd honestly rather see the series stay just how it is: single player, but these friends of mine think online multiplayer GTA would be awesome.

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 11:52:38 PM »

i don't think it would either. how would you be able to do the missions and shit?

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 12:02:56 AM »

Missions aside, it wouldn't work, because people would set out to wreck it.

You'd never get anywhere in a car, as some loser would always shoot you from up high, groups of players would stake out their turf and shoot everyone else etc etc

the whole concept of a mostly driving game would be lost.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:00:22 AM »

Part one and two of the series could be played online and it was supposedly pretty good. Part 3 and Vice City are quite different of course, but I'm sure Rockstar would know how to make a good multiplayer game.
They could always change the gameplay slightly. Just look at games like Splinter Cell, the multiplayer in that game is quite different from the single player.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 03:49:12 AM »

yeah, okay, if you took the city enviroment, and the cars, and then changed the rules, a lot, it might work.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

You can play GTA3 & GTA:VC online via mods, but it's stunt & race type affairs rather than doing missions.  I'm not entirely sure how well co-op would work, they'd have to make quite a few changes.

Me vs Gretzky
Geondp
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 11:32:40 AM »

There is a mod for the pc ver (vice city i think) that lets you do mp, tho im prdy sure its all PvP
http://www.mtavc.com/downloads.php?ordner_id=2

Fuck you asshole Ill fuck you in the butt lets get DIRTY!!-Geondp
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:58:35 PM »

Yeah I've heard about that mod but never played it.  I think it is just PvP though, like you said.  To me, that just wouldn't work as a GTA game.  After a while, it'd just turn into Vigilante 8 meets State of Emergency.  Yuck.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »

I am not entirely sure exactly when GTA Online officially became a thing, but the fact that this discussion took place at least a decade prior to it becoming a reality is pretty amazing.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

freakboy freakboy freakboy

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length