RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:11:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Magnavox Odyssey 2 Question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Magnavox Odyssey 2 Question  (Read 6543 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »

Hey all, got a Magnovoz Odyssey 2 question.  I have 2 system with these connectors hardwired into the system:

How do I connect them to the TV?  I know I have done it in the past (15+ year ago) but I didn't find any other cables in with the box I had the systems in.  I think I need a coax cable to plug into a TV and a female RCA that plugs into the cable coming out of the system and the other end that screw into the coax cable.  ANy help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »

Female coaxial adapter. Radio Shack or cheap on ebay.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:41:47 PM »

Female coaxial adapter. Radio Shack or cheap on ebay.

Yes, I that's it!  Thanks.

SMS set complete!
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »

^^^ That or if you have one of those really old switches that let you switch from "tv" to "computer" (or "game")

Like this:

you can use that and screw in the the one end on many tvs still. You might have one laying around.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »

^^^ That or if you have one of those really old switches that let you switch from "tv" to "computer" (or "game")

Like this:

you can use that and screw in the the one end on many tvs still. You might have one laying around.

I think that may have been the way I originally played when I still lived with my parents.  Of Course once I moved out who knows where it went.

SMS set complete!
OldSchoolGamer101
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:28 AM »

Well...It looks like singlebanana and nupoile beat me to it.  I can confirm that I have seen both at Radio Shack at one time or another.  Not sure if they still have the TV/Game switch boxes though.......
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »

Thanks guy, the adapter did the trick for both Odyssey's.  Apparently I only have one adpater.  Anyone have a spare?  Maybe I can find a compatible one at Radio Shack.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »

I checked Radio Shack and Batteries Plus Bulb and they don't have one.  I checked the internet and couldn't find anything either.  Anyone have any idea on where to get one?

SMS set complete!
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2...ial-antenna-/112241667195

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L...-Adapter-TV-/172374656133

https://www.amazon.com/At...ale-Adapter/dp/B0028MXOF6

https://www.amazon.com/At...pter-Corpco/dp/B01JESOLZI
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:52 PM »

I guess you didn't read the whole thread. laugh I already bought the adaptor and it worked.  I need a power supply as I have two systems but only one power supply.  Yes, Ebay has them but they are expensive.  I was hoping someone knew of another place on the web to search or knew of another power supply to use.

SMS set complete!
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:17:29 AM »

Oh, power adapter, you can use one from another console. I think I've been using a SNES one with mine. Genesis ones work too I think? As long as voltage and polarity match you're fine. And size of plug of course. I was trying to look up a good reference for this online but gave up quickly, haha.

And I read the whole thread, I thought we were still on adapters for RF signal and you needed a second one of those  Cheesy
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:28:18 AM »

Oh, power adapter, you can use one from another console. I think I've been using a SNES one with mine. Genesis ones work too I think? As long as voltage and polarity match you're fine. And size of plug of course. I was trying to look up a good reference for this online but gave up quickly, haha.

And I read the whole thread, I thought we were still on adapters for RF signal and you needed a second one of those  Cheesy

laugh  The power supply voltage is an odd one: 11.5V.  Most power supplies are usually 12V so I'm leary on using a 12V power supply.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:07:28 PM by shaggy » Logged

SMS set complete!
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »

Yeah, one of the reasons I wasn't committing to a straight answer was there being a second version people weren't sure on. I know on mine I have been using a power supply from a SNES or Genesis and was satisfied the voltage as being the same. You might have a different version though.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »

Yeah, one of the reasons I wasn't committing to a straight answer was there being a second version people weren't sure on. I know on mine I have been using a power supply from a SNES or Genesis and was satisfied the voltage as being the same. You might have a different version though.

No problem.  I'm hoping someone can give ma an answer, though.

SMS set complete!
the_wizard_666
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:41 AM »

I know it's late, but I found some info when researching for my own system.  From my research, it requires a 12v 600mA power supply, but because of the built in bridge rectifier and 5v regulator, so it's actually safe to use power supplies that don't exactly match the specs.  Supposedly anything from 9 to 14 volts of either AC or DC current should be okay.

In other words, an NES adapter will work with the Odyssey 2, with the exception of the earliest run, which had a different port.  In that case, an Atari adapter should work.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length