RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:45:22 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2017 Playthrough - Shining Force II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: July 2017 Playthrough - Shining Force II  (Read 21925 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »

Also, errybody playin' getting Karma this month.........even Duke.  THE facepalm

I'm not getting Karma bombed into oblivion this year? Cheesy

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

I tried making the check point for the week. I am close.
Spoiler (hover to show)
Its tough working 12 hour days and trying to game in the evening. I can usually manage to get in an hour or two before my eyelids start getting heavy on me. I should be able to get to the checkpoint tonight.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »

I started grinding to 40.  Undecided So slow.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »

Passed the second checkpoint. Still grinding.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:53 PM »

Just passed the second checkpoint. Taking a small break right now, to watch Stargate.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 12:39:36 AM »

I started the game and have been playing it some over the last few days.  I just reached Polca, so I think I'm getting close to the first checkpoint.  I've been playing pretty recklessly, which means that sometimes my main character ends up biting the dust and I have to replay the battle, but instead of rage quitting I just say that I'm 'grinding.'  Thanks to the 'grinding' though, my team is pretty powerful, and I don't have much trouble mowing down enemies now even if I'm playing recklessly.

Shawn and I were discussing the game the other day and one of the things he mentioned really liking about the game is that even if you die, you still retain all of the experience you earned from the battle.  Definitely a game where it doesn't hurt to fail.

You do lose half your gold, though, I believe.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »

I completed the game. Loved it!

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2017, 04:52:41 AM »

I am so close to finishing the game, I saved on my nomad before heading to the last area so I could play it on a tv

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »

I finally passed the second checkpoint yesterday.  I'm now at the point where I have more total characters than my main party will allow (other than when Elric joined, but dumping Kiwi was an easy choice), so now I have to make the difficult decisions of who to cut and who to keep.  The guide I reference says to dump Luke, but I feel like he's pretty valuable right now.  I may end up cutting one of the centaurs.

I chose to take Karna at Creed's mansion since I thought I could use the extra healing, and since both Sarah and Karna can be promoted to Master Monks, I don't have to sacrifice offensive power to keep them around.  I have also been promoting everyone at level 20.  I don't have the patience to grind characters up to higher levels Tongue

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »

I've been meaning to chime in here, as I finished the game about a week ago.

My initial impression of the game was very good. It was really hard to put down and I was playing it constantly. Something about strategy or tactical gameplay always has an addictive quality to me. The problem is, I usually hit some kind of breaking point where I all of a sudden no longer want to keep playing. It's very weird, honestly. I was trying to explain to Rich that the battles were overwhelming me in some way. It wasn't they were too difficult, but knowing how many there are in the game at the point I was at made anxious about completing the game in a timeframe I was happy with. So, at a certain point a little more than halfway through the game, I turned cheats on and blasted my way through the rest of the game.

I absolutely feel that if this wasn't a playthrough game, I would have taken all the time I needed with it and savored it a lot more. I really did love mostly everything about it. It's definitely a case of "it's not the game, it's me." I was grinding like crazy in the beginning and I think I burned out on the game real quickly.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »

I chose to take Karna at Creed's mansion since I thought I could use the extra healing, and since both Sarah and Karna can be promoted to Master Monks, I don't have to sacrifice offensive power to keep them around.  I have also been promoting everyone at level 20.  I don't have the patience to grind characters up to higher levels Tongue

I ended up keeping Karna as a Vicar since you I didn't want to end up with 3 Master Monks and one Vicar. She turned into my main healer, and she became insanely overleveled just from using Boost all the time. It made it easier to keep her around than Frayja.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:16:32 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

I chose to take Karna at Creed's mansion since I thought I could use the extra healing, and since both Sarah and Karna can be promoted to Master Monks, I don't have to sacrifice offensive power to keep them around.  I have also been promoting everyone at level 20.  I don't have the patience to grind characters up to higher levels Tongue

I ended up keeping Karna as a Vicar since you I didn't want to end up with 3 Master Monks and one Vicar. She turned into my main healer, and she became insanely overleveled just from using Boost all the time. It made it easier to keep her around than Frayja.

Yeah, I might do that.  I haven't promoted Karna yet, so I'll give the Vicar class some consideration.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »

I finished the other day, I saved my special promotions for the people I saved from Creeds they had a hard life, thought they needed something special in their life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »

I'm just starting this back up after finishing with jury duty. I'm hoping to play this weekend.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »

I'm just starting this back up after finishing with jury duty. I'm hoping to play this weekend.

Wife and kids out of town this weekend. Plan on making a big push.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length