RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | May 2018 Playthrough - Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: May 2018 Playthrough - Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure  (Read 19446 times)
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »

Got this one done, I'm sad I didn't get all the puppets to heaven, but I enjoyed it.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 05:44:46 AM »

Nice job Doug!

I am so behind on this game it's killing me! I'm going to have to marathon it this weekend.

I printed out a walkthrough just to get through the dungeons quicker. They're kind of infamous for being too similar from screen to screen, making it very easy to get lost. How is everyone doing with that aspect of the game?

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

I printed out a walkthrough just to get through the dungeons quicker. They're kind of infamous for being too similar from screen to screen, making it very easy to get lost. How is everyone doing with that aspect of the game?

I've only seen one dungeon so far, the one in the starting forest. I do agree that the screens are very similar, though at least that dungeon was small.

I'm finding the game's pacing a bit odd. I've played for 3.5 hours and the inciting incident just happened. This wouldn't be odd in most JRPGs but since this game is only supposed to be about 10 hours long, it seems like it took a long time to really kick off the adventure. Though I have been enjoying it.
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »

I've done some more dungeons now. The Tower of Wisdom was particularly bad for getting turned around. Often I'd go to look at a sign and get in combat, then completely forget which way I had come from and which way I was headed.

Is there a way to bring back puppets who are at 0 health? I don't see an item for this and I've tried using the statues to restore HP/MP but nothing's working.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

Is there a way to bring back puppets who are at 0 health? I don't see an item for this and I've tried using the statues to restore HP/MP but nothing's working.

Go back to your house and talk to your grand-dad. He'll repair them, I believe at the cost of some inotium.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:46:45 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

I know it's nearing the end of the month, but I finally got around to starting Rhapsody last weekend.  I'm only 2-3 hours into it (I'm currently in the middle of the competition), but I am really enjoying the game so far.  It has a ton of charm, and the humor is great as well.  I enjoy the mechanics of the game well enough, although I think I would have liked the combat to have a bit more depth.  I even set the difficulty to hard since others were saying that the game was incredibly easy on the normal setting, and it's still been a cakewalk.

Really enjoying it so far!  Hopefully I'll still be able to finish before the end of the month since the game is so short.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

I also just got around to starting Rhapsody this Sunday and I'm already around 9 hours in (at the hearts battle). I wasn't sure how I would take to this game's "cutesy" tone and look, but I find myself continually intrigued with the game and pushing to get to the end. I've been rather tied up with personal stuff for the last few months, but as I mentioned to Shawn, this game was kind of the loose, breezy game that I needed to get away and leave some frustrations behind.  There are a few things that I am critical of in the game, but overall, this is a great experience.

I agree with Stephen in that the mechanics of the game are pretty good, but the combat is quite lackluster due to it's ease (I'm playing on normal).  Even at this level, I can still just press "O" to autoattack and have no worries. The lack of difficulty makes the fights rather boring at times and I just want to get through them quicker and quicker to progress. And yes, I'm one of those players who never "Escapes" from battles no matter how simple. I found that in a few of the towers, I have run into hoards of these metal slimes, and that has caused my levels to skyrocket on many toons.  I rarely take a hit in any battle due to all the "misses" and I haven't done any grinding. The battle spaces are tiny, so there's not a ton of strategy involved other than the occasional rock or two in the way. Like Pam mentioned above, you can get rather turned around in the dungeons and if I were playing this out as intended, I'd definitely be looking to use some graft paper (instead, I'm using an online map). So far, I feel like there is little variation in the dungeons; there seem to be only two types (caves & towers) and the only differentiation seem to be the color palates used.

With all that said, what is really keeping me going with this game is its charm and the story.  I love how everything flows really well and I've had no issues in determining where to go and what to do next.  The character sprites and backgrounds are colorful and lively, and those short cut-scenes........whew, they are simply stunning on my Trinitron! I love the idea of the puppets and adding enemies to your party, but I almost feel like it's a bit of an overload because there are so many party members that you can acquire. I never really know who to level up and what my best party is. Also, weapons are so expensive that I can't afford to buy enough for everyone; continually swapping them out to put on new members is a pain. The humor is lively and fun as mentioned by others. And well grandpa.............Damn, grandpa is harsh charging his own grandchild coin to fix her broke ass puppets! 

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:34 AM »

I really enjoyed this game, I think I got too over powered by the end boss.  Most of my puppets where over 35 and i was in the 60s .  I got lost in some of the caves for a while to help with the leveling up. 

Did anyone find the 3rd egg brother?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 07:31:06 AM »

Yes, third egg brother was in the "snow town." You just talk to the snowman. Another puppet shows up later in the game in your home mailbox.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »

Yes, third egg brother was in the "snow town." You just talk to the snowman. Another puppet shows up later in the game in your home mailbox.
I talked to the snow man, forgot to check the mail box

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »

Had a little re-arranging of the game consoles so my PS1 was inaccessible for a while, but I started back up on this today.

One of my biggest pet peeves in games is having to go back and forth between areas a lot, while not actually doing much in any of them. I found this happened a lot while getting ready for the competition while looking for a cooking a meal meant for the Prince. Today it happened in a particularly annoying way when I had to make my way through the volcano dungeon, get to the end, make my way back, go to town for literally 10 seconds and then go back through the dungeon again to watch another scene. Not fun. Thank goodness for the teleport items though, being able to use those to get back to the map are great.

Right now I'm lost in the Tower of Ninetail. The guide I have been using has been decent for the more dungeon-type maps, but sucks for the tower maps. I think I need to find a new one.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »

The tower of ninetal

Right now I'm lost in the Tower of Ninetail. The guide I have been using has been decent for the more dungeon-type maps, but sucks for the tower maps. I think I need to find a new one.

After you go in the tower, you need to go back to town where the boy you saved lives and they will come with you.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »

The tower of ninetal

After you go in the tower, you need to go back to town where the boy you saved lives and they will come with you.

Yeah, I went back to the town. Now I'm back at the tower again.
Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »

Just finished this last night, the first JRPG I've finished in ages.

I thought it was alright. I liked how the story was constantly subverting expectations around things like Cornet rescuing the Prince or even small things like Etoile dual-wielding machine guns during one of the fights she joined me for. I really liked the story of Cornet and Kururu, I thought that was well developed. The Prince and Marjoly plots though? Ehh. I think the short run time, while a boon for me actually getting through the game, gave them limited time to develop the other characters. None of the villains ever served as more than comic relief (in a game that's already 90% comic relief) and I can't help but roll my eyes at stories about true love that involve two characters who have known each other for 5 minutes.

When I got to the final boss Cornet was just under level 40 and my puppet party was around 27-37. My first couple times I had Marjoly one-shotting my puppets before I could even get a turn in, which was jarring since combat had been such a breeze until then. I spent a few minutes running around in circles hoping for random battles and got everyone another level or two and then got through the final fights without issue.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »

Meant to post that I beat this on 5/23...........if you follow me on Twitter and Instagram, you probably already knew. If you're not following me, well then what the hell's wrong with you?? 

Anyway, this may be my #1 weirdest moment ever in my almost 40 year video gaming history...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length