RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:29:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | A Precautionary Question 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Precautionary Question  (Read 1121 times)
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »

I'm in the process of moving to a new place in July and I've decided I'm mostly going to be using my Gamecube and Wii U for multiplayer.  As such I want to keep my Super Nintendo and Switch out (I'd keep my Genesis out but its a model one and a HUGE dust magnet when left unattended for days on end) but I'd like to store my Gamecube and my Wii U.

This goes for the AV cables, controllers, AC adapters and such.  Right now I have them stored in plastic storage containers but I'm a little on the worried side that by doing this I'll risk the cables short circuiting from being stored.

Am I worrying for nothing?  Is there a better, cost efficient way to store my systems until the time bust them out for multiplayer gaming sessions comes around?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

I think that concern regarding damage to your cords is reasonable. I don't store controllers, but when I hang them on my pegboard, I make a circular loop out of the cords and tie them off with twist ties (like the ones that keep bread bags sealed). I've been told by other members here that this method puts less strain on the cords and will not cause them to get twisted up and bent, which could be damaging.

Hope this helps. Not really sure I understand your concern with short circuiting though, so maybe you could elaborate.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »

You know how when a laptop charger is shorting out it doesn't always work when plugged in?  That's what I mean.  The wiring inside my cables getting damaged and me being unable to use them.  Like the AV cables not displaying visuals when plugged in (I used to buy a Legacy Cable from Gamestop but those things wear down and stop displaying video way too easy)

I'd have to see pictures of how the pegboard thing works in case I can set them up after I move.  I've always been storing controllers when not using them, but most of my Wii U Wired Fight Pads and both my nunchucks seem to work fine.  As do my SNES Mouse, spare controller (I haven't checked my Super Scope's infrared box since I don't feel like using up six AAs right now).  Seemingly if there is any strain or damage it's a long way off, but I hope that I can get proper storage set up regardless.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length