RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2018, 03:29:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2018 Shmup - Gradius 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: July 2018 Shmup - Gradius  (Read 1882 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »

So randomly on lunch at work today, I 1CC the 1st loop of Gradius! YAY!

Here's my score for the 1st loop, as you can see going into the 2nd (365,100):

I put my PSP into a low power state to go back to this and improve upon the game, but it will be a continuous run, in the sense that I'm not continuing from a save or continue, so when I post my next score, hopefully it will be significantly higher, assuming I don't succumb to Bacterian forces quickly in the 2nd loop.

Golem
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »

Congrats on the 1CC! Impressive you've done it in the arcade version first.

Lunch is a great time for gameplay--not bleary-eyed in the morning or worn out at the end of the day. Claiming some of your productivity back from your employer. Some of my better Dariusburst sessions took advantage of this.

And this is precisely why I'm more of a survival play than a score player, at least with regard to classic shooters. I try to always err on the side of caution, knowing that death is around every corner, or at the edge of every enemy bullet. If I ever truly mastered a game, where I knew the mechanics and patterns well enough to know what the full risk assessment was for that kind of strategy, I might adopt it, to try to achieve a higher score, but I've never spent enough time with any one game to ever get to that point.

I believe they refer to this as Maslow's hierarchy. :b

EDIT: Gave it another run myself tonight and reached 427,300. This is a decent improvement over my previous best despite not getting any farther into the second loop (still stuck at 2-2). Lasers are amazing for points, but you need to really know the levels.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:00:49 PM by Golem » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator

WWW Stats
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 08:48:46 AM »

Nice! Now that I've found more of a rhythm on the arcade version via PSP, I need to boot up my Gradius Deluxe Pack on Sega Saturn, and give that a go. Maybe later this week, or this weekend...

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator

WWW Stats
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 12:44:35 PM »

Well, the 2nd loop in the arcade version is quite a bit harder than the 1st loop, so I bombed out quickly, but did manage to break 400K:

Not half bad, considering it's my first time in the 2nd loop, and I managed to reach 2-2, though I didn't quite get to the boss.

Golem
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 03:59:41 PM »

Great work! Is there any chance you witnessed the horror of loop 2 cube rush?

EDIT: Do you guys see stuff like this happen?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:37:45 PM by Golem » Logged
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator

WWW Stats
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 11:44:32 PM »

No, itís simply the insane amount of bullets that enemies shoot out, and I had a hard time navigating through the milieu.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length