RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2018 Shmup - Gradius 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: July 2018 Shmup - Gradius  (Read 20945 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »

I thought I'd pen a few final thoughts on Gradius for the thread, now that we're several days out from the end of the month. I hope everyone enjoyed tackling this classic; I certainly have! It's been good to reconnect with this game, after not having put any serious time into it since 2014, with the RF Generation December shmup competition, and to really dig into several iterations of the game. It's interesting to compare and contrast with R-Type, since these 2 games provided much of the template for horizontal scrolling shoot-em-ups, and are still hugely influential on the genre today. In recent years, the game Hydorah was released on PC, which has since been re-released with new features on PC and consoles as Super Hydorah, and that game takes HUGE inspiration from Gradius, with a ship that looks very much like the Vic Viper, as well as graphics and enemies that are heavily inspired by the series as well. The impact Gradius has had has been immeasurable, and to top it all off - the game is still fun! Sure, the later games in the series eclipsed it, in terms of the weapon load-out customization, the improved shield mechanics, and those things, but the original game is still a lot of fun to play, and there are still plenty of things to learn from the original game. Anyone else have any final thoughts about Gradius?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length