RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:12:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shmup Club January 2020 Game & Year-Long Scoring Competition - Ketsui! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Shmup Club January 2020 Game & Year-Long Scoring Competition - Ketsui!  (Read 29147 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »

***SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT***

Normally, we'd wait until the December news post to announce the game for January. However, we wanted to give everyone extra time to acquire a copy, because it's an import title. In January, the RF Generation Shmup Club will be taking on our first Cave shooter, Ketsui! Known by its full title, Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi, and with the more recent PlayStation 4 release, Ketsui Deathtiny. It's also seen release on the Nintendo DS, as a boss rush, known as Ketsui Death Label. The original arcade game saw release on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Japan, the former version of which is region free, as is the DS game, and the newer PS4 release, which is part of the M2 ShotTriggers line. Currently, there's no way to purchase the game digitally from any US markets, such as PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live, so a physical release is the only way to go with this title, at the moment. Thankfully, both the PS3 and PS4 versions are not only region free, but also readily available via Amazon, Play Asia, Nin Nin Game, and other online retailers, for a reasonable price.

We also wanted to make sure that we gave our first Cave title its due, not only because the developer is legendary in the shooting game scene, but also because their games have a reputation for complexity and intricate scoring mechanics. Ketsui is no different. During the entirety of 2020, we'll be playing Ketsui as a primary score competition game. We'll still have the monthly games to play, and try to score as best as possible during that time, but because Ketsui will take more time to master, we're hoping players will join in during the course of the year, and post scores for the game throughout the year. We want to give everyone ample opportunity to learn the game, and master the play and scoring mechanics, so we'll keep a thread going on the forum, to continue to discuss the game, share tips and strategies, and give everyone a place to share their scores. This new approach will hopefully encourage players to really dig into the game, and learn it at a level we wouldn't normally do, since we only focus on most games for a month at a time. We hope you'll consider joining us in January, and throughout 2020, as we dive deep into Cave's Ketsui, and get the most out of this game! More information will follow with the official news release post in December.

Just one last note to also mention that emulation is okay for this competition! We definitely encourage everyone to buy a copy of the game, especially the new PS4 release, to help support M2's efforts in bringing more of these games to modern platforms. However, for those who don't currently have the means, we will neither discourage, nor disqualify anyone, because emulation is their only option.

Ketsui PS3 (region free) via Amazon | Play Asia | Nin Nin Game

Ketsui Deathtiny PS4 (region free) via Amazon | Play Asia | Nin Nin Game

Ketsui Xbox 360 (NOT region free) via Amazon | Play Asia | Nin Nin Game

There's also the Ketsui Death Label release for Nintendo DS, which is region free, but isn't the full game. It's a boss rush, based on the arcade game. That will be allowable for scoring as well, in its own separate category. However, since that version has become prohibitively expensive, we will not be focusing on it.

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
infamous2117
zoydo
kz_the_kusoplayer
ze_ro
Dingo
shamanix
dtungsten
Biscuit Thief
Zkibu86
Jonster

Update 2-20-2020:
The leader board is finally here! I have been working on getting this done over the last couple weeks, making sure I had everything right. As of this post, I believe the scores are all accounted for, and the order should be correct. For each category where one has participated, their highest score will be reflected, and their position on the leader board will reflect the most recent score, as soon as I see updates, and can get them posted in the spreadsheet. Scores will ONLY be edited and posted on the board by either MetalFRO or Addicted. As normal, post your screenshots here, and as we see them, we will update the spreadsheet accordingly. If you have any questions, suggestions to improve the document, or need clarification on anything, please let us know. Also, please read the Rules & Guidelines tab in the spreadsheet before posting any questions about the list, to make sure we're not answering any questions already addressed. Thank you all for your patience, and let's keep those scores coming!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JnZ4vZsBv4cgIMa1XKFy5OxqYULGPZNVMTjOAD9EDeY/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:58:39 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 11:59:14 PM »

Great choice, a worthy takeoff to 2020! I, ll be there.

Edit: Just realized it's not just the january game, but an ongoing competition throughout the year. (reading properly helps...)
Even better!
I really like the idea, looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 07:05:28 AM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »

Glad to hear it! I think this is going to be a great addition to the Shmup Club, and a nice way to keep folks engaged month to month, when there are games they either don't have, or aren't participating in.

Ze_ro
Donor
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 11:20:36 PM »

I ordered the PS4 version the other day from Nin-Nin... it was "on sale" for $65 CAD, which was a good bit cheaper than Play Asia was asking. I'm pretty terrible at these games, but with a full year to work at it, maybe I can manage to not embarrass myself too much.

--Zero
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »

Excellent! We will, as with the other games, announce the "winner" for January's scoring, but yes, if you're looking more to try and hone your skills in the game and score better, then having all of 2020 to work on it should help with better overall mastery. I'm hoping the same will be true for most of us Cheesy

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »

In modern gaming vernacular, those who aren't familiar with shoot-em-up conventions often refer to them all as "bullet hell" games. However, the term has a much more narrow scope than all of scrolling shooters. Some consider Toaplan's swansong Batsugun to be the genesis of the genre, and games developed by companies whose staff was formerly of Toaplan, such as Raizing, Takumi, and Cave, have frequently been given that label. However, one developer stands tall in the crowd, and has worn the danmaku, or "bullet hell" crown proudly. Japanese studio Cave, with development often led by Shinobu Yagawa, has produced some of the most well recognized and respected games in the genre, and certainly continued to wave the flag for shmups, well after their commercial viability as a genre had been called into question. Though they haven't released a new shooting game for several years now, as the shmup genre is celebrating somewhat of a renaissance, they remain relevant as the go-to for many hardcore players, because their games are considered to be of the highest quality.

January 2020 marks the first Cave game explored by the RF Generation Shmup Club, and our debut look at their catalog begins with none other than Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi. Released in arcades in 2003, the game took the familiar military trappings of Cave's previous DoDonPachi series of games, but took the game in a different direction, mechanically, and in terms of the specifics for scoring. With a greater emphasis on point blanking enemies, and a limited range focus laser weapon with lock-on capabilities, Ketsui has a different feel than Cave's previous military-themed shooters, and that makes it fairly unique in the Cave canon. A special boss rush version was made for the Nintendo DS in 2008, called Ketsui Death Label. The game received an Xbox 360 release in Japan in 2010, and saw release on the PS3 in 2013. In 2018, prolific studio M2 ported the game for their ShotTriggers line, to the PlayStation 4. Not only did they bring the arcade version fully intact, but also included the IKD 2007 soundtrack, and a new mix by famed composer Virt, aka Jake Kaufman. In addition, they created a new mode for the game, titled "Deathtiny" that changes the mechanics and scoring. It gives the game play another dimension, and provides even more replay value to this already impressive game. Come join the RF Generation Shmup Club in January 2020, as we explore Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi!

We're also starting a new tradition in 2020, as our January title will also be our year-long score focus! We'll continue to play a different game each month, and will tally scores at the end, so that aspect remains. But because of the complexity of a game like Ketsui, which will take players longer to acclimate to, and longer to master, we want to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to get good at the game, and allow for participants to really maximize their ability to score well in the game. Throughout the year, we encourage everyone who is playing the game to continue to post score progress, share strategies, and talk about the game. We hope this will be a fun way to keep everyone engaged throughout the year, and that more people will join in the fun!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »

Here are some good resources about Ketsui, for those who may be less familiar, or those who might be on the fence about the game.

Hardcore Gaming 101 article (pre-PS4 release)

Ketsui: Deathtiny PS4 release menu translation guide (courtesy of the Shmups forum)

Ketsui strategy guide (courtesy of the Shmups forum) - Lots of great information in this guide!

I realize we're a little over 2 weeks out, but I wanted to make sure everyone had an opportunity to read up on the game, in case there were any questions.

infamous2117
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 12:28:18 AM »

Im in on this one, Will probably stick to Deathtiny mode.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 10:40:15 AM »

Im in on this one, Will probably stick to Deathtiny mode.

Welcome aboard! Deathtiny mode is a ton of fun, so I don't blame you for that. It will be good to get some perspectives on Deathtiny specifically, rather than just the standard arcade mode.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 12:52:51 AM »

This may be helpful for anyone participating in the January Shmup Club game, Ketsui, who don't speak Japanese, but are going to jump in and play the PS4 port. Some helpful hints from Mark_MSX of The Electric Underground podcast, and interesting info about the game:

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »

Dropping the STG Weekly issue/episode that covers Ketsui as well. They typically do a great job of going into the games they cover, and getting into the weeds on technique, as they watch and analyze/comment on a super play run or two. I haven't watched this one yet, but I hoping to do so soon:

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 04:26:53 AM »

Hello everyone and happy new year. Smiley

I had a good run yesterday, which resulted in a new PB, so i'm throwing in my first score (Stage 3 Boss).

I also did a no miss in Super Easy mode, which got me my last trophy plus the platinum trophy. Usually i don't care much about trophies or achievements, but when i come close to platinum i might grab it (and this one is very doable).

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 07:05:40 PM »

Excellent to see you already playing! Was the above score in Arcade mode, standard difficulty?

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 04:07:17 AM »

Excellent to see you already playing! Was the above score in Arcade mode, standard difficulty?

Yes it's the Arcade mode. You can see the mode in the upper left corner, above the score. Smiley

Mark mentioned in his review video, that CloudyMusic did a translation of the menues for the shmups forum. It also explains how the "Kizuna Mode" works.
You can check out here:

https://shmups.system11.o...topic.php?f=5&t=65515

Both the video and the translation might be very helpful getting startet with the game.

TOB
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, zoydo! I'll have to check that out.

I wanted to share this video from Mark_MSX, that shows off his 1-ALL of Ketsui. It's not a scoring run, just a survival run, but it has some useful stuff to watch. Also, he talks about overcoming the mental blocks associated with improving in shmups, which I know many of us (myself included) suffer from. There's some good advice in the video, so give it a look:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length