RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: July 2020 Shmup Club - UN Squadron  (Read 17215 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »

I'm rescinding my score submission for the arcade version, because I found out that my configuration was booting up to the lowest difficulty level. I've been playing on Normal the last couple days, and haven't reached nearly as far, so I might still throw a screenshot in here for my arcade score later this week, but the previous post about reaching the final boss was on the lowest difficulty.

zoydo
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2020, 12:41:50 PM »

Haven't done better than my St.5 score, that i posted very early this month.

Even though i totally see, why everyone loves this game, i just can't find a groove with it. I guess the multiple special weapon system, the stage select, shop feature and story sequences is just too much to handle for my simple brains.
I see that it serves the game to have a lot of variation, but it somehow kills the flow (for me).

Anyway, i love the music and the graphics!

Also played 2 or 3 creds on the arcade version and i liked that it's a bit more straight forward but i agree, that the SFC version is the better game.

GG to everyone who cleared the game or came close (and to everyone else).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:05:10 AM by zoydo » Logged

TOB
SaturdayDevelopment
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2020, 06:14:33 PM »

I'm rescinding my score submission for the arcade version, because I found out that my configuration was booting up to the lowest difficulty level. I've been playing on Normal the last couple days, and haven't reached nearly as far, so I might still throw a screenshot in here for my arcade score later this week, but the previous post about reaching the final boss was on the lowest difficulty.

Appreciate the honesty, MetalFRO.  The arcade version on normal difficulty is no joke.  I really wanted the 1CC on the arcade version, but ran out of time.  Here's my arcade score submission for the month.  252,340, got to the cave level with Greg and bit it there.

Good game to everyone who played.

* UNSquadArcade.png (1152.81 KB, 960x570 - viewed 305 times.)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »

If there was another month I'm confident I could've hit the 1CC. Made it to the cave on 1 cred. No pic but broke 500K points. Love the variety in this game, and really appreciate the boss battles that scroll in both directions. I'm novice enough w/shmups that I don't know how unique to the genre it is, but it's an interesting mechanic that gives those boss battles a more epic feel. The dogfighting level is also a nice stray from the norm.

With it's level selection and grinding, I still feel like it's an adventure game posing as a shmup, and that's fine by me. Capcom got so much right, the music and the environments are all fresh enough to have their own character and memorability (if that's a word), and the gameplay and controls are super intense, but fair.

I've watched some of MetalFro's streams, and for full disclosure I haven't played the arcade version, just watched. But I can't shake the feeling that Capcom took a respectable arcade IP and reimagined it in an even better form. Can't wait to see/hear comments from those who have played both.

Really have enjoyed U.N. Squadron this month, we had right on our side!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:14:30 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
davyK
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2020, 08:23:22 AM »

Was listening to the podcast about the SNES port and heard the US version has screenshots of the arcade version on the box?

The PAL version only has screenshots of the port as far as I can see. My box and manual aren't in the best of condition (think it was an ex-rental so it's a miracle it's as good as it is). I play it on my modded SNES at 60Hz though. Plays just fine. The music plays at the same speed - 50 or 60Hz so it must be coded to internal timers and not the frame rate thankfully!  Smiley

I've always found it a tough game - one I've never spent a lot of time with I have to admit but maybe I'll look at it once I get my current 1CC challenge (Samurai Aces on PS2) out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:08:23 AM by davyK » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length