RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:23:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Sega Game Gear - North American Reprints 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega Game Gear - North American Reprints  (Read 1709 times)
Tan
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »

You may or may not have noticed we have a new type of variant in the Sega Game Gear section for North America: Reprints. Seems sometime around 2000 or so, Majesco reprinted a whole slew of games for the GG.

Since members have already submitted scans and info for many of these titles, I had to edit them and re-label them as the reprints that they are. That means the original releases will have to be added to the database again and these reprints linked to those entries.

I wanted both the staff and members to know about this in case we get future submissions for that section or you have Game Gear games in your collections. There are two easy ways you can tell a reprint:

1. There are two years listed on the back of the scan, i.e. 1994, 2000.
2. The ESRB didn't start using "E for Everyone" until 1998, so any game that has a year before '98 with an "E" rating is a reprint. Original releases will be "K-A Kids to Adults"

Once that section has been sorted out, I'll post the list of reprints in this thread. That way everyone can check their games, submit info or scans if needed to the proper listings and update their collections.

Thanks folks,
Keith
Tan
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »

These are the games for the Sega Game Gear that have so far been re-labeled as reprints, some have had the incorrect scans removed. Most of these games have an original release counterpart already in the database as well:

Aladdin, Disney's
Caesar's Palace
Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck
Jungle Book, Disney's The
Lion King, Disney's The
Ms. Pac-Man
Pac-Man
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Spinball
Super Battletank
X-Men

So if you have any of these games, you should check and see what version you have to make sure you have the proper one in your collection. Each reprint is cleared labeled in the variation title field for easy searching. Also be sure before you submit any scans for the Game Gear section that you have the proper version by using the two indicators listed above in the first post.

If you see any errors in information or scans don't hesitate to let us know. Smiley
Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

Hey, now I can properly put down what I have!

Does anyone know if all the games that were available with the Majesco GG were reprints or if some were extra stock being sold off like they did for the rereleased Genesis?
I bought a GG and a few games when Majesco rereleased it and that's all I have.
I was asking because one of the games I have is Sonic 2, bought new at the store in 2000 along with 3 confirmed reprints... however the cart doesn't have any Majesco branding on it and you haven't listed it on the list of reprints.  I don't have the box so I can't check that.  I might have the manual, though.

Also: the normal release of Sonic 2 on the GG seems to be labelled Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic and Tails, and I've never seen that subtitle anywhere.  Sonic and Tails is the Japanese title for Sonic Chaos...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:09:04 PM by Mr. Ksoft » Logged

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
Tan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »

Hey, now I can properly put down what I have!

Does anyone know if all the games that were available with the Majesco GG were reprints or if some were extra stock being sold off like they did for the rereleased Genesis?
I bought a GG and a few games when Majesco rereleased it and that's all I have.
I was asking because one of the games I have is Sonic 2, bought new at the store in 2000 along with 3 confirmed reprints... however the cart doesn't have any Majesco branding on it and you haven't listed it on the list of reprints.  I don't have the box so I can't check that.  I might have the manual, though.

Also: the normal release of Sonic 2 on the GG seems to be labelled Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic and Tails, and I've never seen that subtitle anywhere.  Sonic and Tails is the Japanese title for Sonic Chaos...

Sonic 2 as far as I know didn't have a reprint. However, feel free to submit a page edit with the proper title if you wish. Smiley 

I believe only those 11 games above had reprints. Majesco only published 11 games as far as I know and all of them in 2000 or so, even if the box says otherwise, hence the ESRB difference.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »

A question: Do you know if Europe got these reprints aswell?
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »

as far as i know here ikn England we didnt get any reprinted games

Tan
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »

as far as i know here ikn England we didnt get any reprinted games

I believe these 10-11 reprinted games were North American exclusive and were only sold at North American Toys R Us stores who had exclusivity with the GG Core System as well. That's not to say as region free games they weren't sold elsewhere like the NGPC games were, but they'd still be North American games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length