RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:05:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Fixxing an Atari 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fixxing an Atari  (Read 3390 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »

I just got an Atari "light six", and thing does not work.

Here is a description of what's happening.
-The Atari powers up fine
-When I turn it on with a game inserted, I cannot get a picture, it is usually a still picture of different colors, or I get static and wavy colored lines

I am not sure what else to do, I popped it open to take a look at it, and nothing seems wrong, but I do not know these machines that well,
so I am not sure what I am looking for.  I have fixed game systems before, just never worked on an atari.

I tried cleaning the games and cartridge slot with alcohol, but it doesn't work either. I know its not my games because I tested them out on another Atari console.

If anyone has any experience working on these things please help me, I would like to get this thing working, so I can sell it or trade it for some games.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:47:40 PM »

Ataris are funny. Try pushing the reset switch after powering the system on with a game inside of it. Just turning it on with a game in the slot doesn't make the game play through the system in most cases.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:13:14 AM »

Are you using the same A/V hookup on the non-working Atari as the working Atari? Those switch boxes go bad fairly often, but even the RCA cable can quit working.

Other than that, I'd just open it up and look for some broken solder points. Solder wasn't all that great back then and it doesn't take much for a connection to come loose after 30+ years.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »

If you're still using a switchbox, ditch it and get one of these: http://tinyurl.com/b7zufzo

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »

Also, clean those console and game pins with some brass cleaner.  Could just be bad connections due to corrosion over the many years.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »

If you're still using a switchbox, ditch it and get one of these: http://tinyurl.com/b7zufzo

Yeah that is what I am using, I am going to buy a new video cable for it.

@single banana: I have tried cleaning but I am not sure how effective I was cleaning.

I have done alot of research the past few days, and it say a common problem when it is just a black screen, it is a power supply problem.
I am going to try and test the voltage to see if proper voltage is going through the system.  I hope it is a voltage regulator or a capacitor they are easier to grab, because if it is the transformer, it will be harder to get one of those.

Thanks for all the help, and if either of you know someone who is experienced in fixing ataris and intellivisions please let direct them to me

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 02:27:37 PM »

InvaderGii recently ended up with a shitload of 2600 stuff from me.
He might have some spare parts out of the lot.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »

I hope it is a voltage regulator or a capacitor they are easier to grab, because if it is the transformer, it will be harder to get one of those.
There's no power transformer in the 2600 except for the one in the PSU.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »

Oh, maybe I meant the power supply.  I am really unfamiliar with these things, so if you got any tips please let me know.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length