RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:13:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Game Mods 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game Mods  (Read 4518 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: June 15, 2004, 05:13:23 AM »

I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience creating your own mods or maps for games.  They're obviously all over the net, so somebody has to make them.  I've never really done any traditional mods, but I have created my own custom maps in StarCraft.

Or, if nothing else, are you one to play with mods and custom maps, or do you just stick to what the original developers give you?  Usually, I stick to what the game comes with until I get bored, and then I go out and find custom maps, weapons, mods, etc.  Return to Castle Wolfenstein had some great custom maps, Unreal Tournament had TONS of cool mods and maps, and StarCraft of course survives on custom maps.  One game - Warcraft III - I actually ONLY play modded versions of gameplay.  I was introduced to the game with tower defense games, and continue to pretty much exclusively play the game on that mode.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:05:20 AM »

Well, I do use maps quite a lot in some games, and not at all in others.
with GTA: Vice City, I got the map laminated in a shop in town, and stuck it to the wall by my armchair, so I could see at a glance where to go, without pausing the game.

I have made my own maps, but not for a long time. I mapped Jet Set Willy & Jet Set Willy 2 in the 80's. In fact I had no intent to try to finish Jet Set Willy 2, it was enough if I could actually map everything.

I sometimes make little sketches for bits of games, I did that with Phantasy Star, and last year with Summoner. Recently I made simple star charts for Elite on the NES.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:36:51 AM »

I think heroes really degraded the Warcraft III experience.  You can't just build up and conquer, you have to be super aggressive all the time; this makes it difficult to manage everything else you have to do.

I like Aeon of Strife maps more than Tower Defence, but TD is still quite fun.  Mucho money in starcraft is the only custom map that I can really think of.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:56:21 AM »

I did a model hack in q3 and I also have a series of maps for a game I invented but it's not technically a mod: BFG hockey! Basically everyone has god mode on and one player is the puck. The puck uses a rocket launcher to try not to end up in a goal. The teams use BFGs to try to push the puck into the goal. The maps are basic boxes with textures that somewhat resemble a street hockey rink and the goals have teleporters that drop the puck back down to center ice after a goal. I never did properly finish the maps...

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:56:54 AM »

Oh, and my Tengen Pac-Man rom hack, Azz-Man.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 10:37:27 AM »

U4E - the most complete mod pack I have ever seen for a game.  The original, U4E for Unreal Tournament, was amazing.  However, I was let down by the U4E for 2K3.  Anyways, check it out.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length