RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:25:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | The Good Video Game Store Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: The Good Video Game Store Thread  (Read 111259 times)
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »

I'd be shocked (and delighted!) to find anyone else on this site from central Nebraska, but just in case, there are a handful of good shops I like to go to:

GameOn Video Games
5012 3rd Avenue #140
Kearney, NE 68845

Decent prices, though they tend to like to honk people on PSX RPGs a little bit.  Like some other mom & pop shops, they'll re-sell games that came to them with custom printed sleeves, so you want to watch out for that, but otherwise, they're a decent shop.  They have another location (actually, their original/primary site) in Holdredge, Nebraska, but that's quite a way off the beaten path.  They do lots of tabletop gaming stuff as well.

Game Cycle
221 N. Lincoln
Hastings, Nebraska, 68901

I've actually never been to this store, because they've only been open a couple months, but based on a conversation I had with another gamer/collector in the region, they're pretty decent.  They're a bit far from where I'm at (nearly an hour and a half), but I'll make it down there at some point.

UPDATE: Game Cycle in Hastings closed down in 2017 due to lack of sales, and all inventory was cycled back through the Grand Island location that opened up a few months later (and is still open as of February 2018):

Game Cycle
203 N Locust Street
Grand Island, NE 68801

I'm friends with the manager of the GI location, and he's a real good guy.

In the Lincoln/Omaha area, there are several shops I like.

Game Room (2 locations)
1709 O Street
Lincoln, NE

*Updated*
2701 N 27th St Suite C,
Lincoln NE

The O Street location is the original one, and is always a bit "in transition", so it always seems a bit messy and unkempt.  They have decent deals on NES, Genesis, PSX, SNES, and N64 stuff, as well as PS2, Xbox, GC, etc.  Their Saturn and DC selection is for crap, but then they have good handheld selection as well.  The O Street location is larger, has more variety and selection, though Saturn and DC are still almost nonexistent.

Gamers - multiple locations in Lincoln and Omaha

I'm not going to put addresses in, because Omaha has 3 locations, and Lincoln has 2.  Their prices are a bit high for my tastes some times, but they have okay selection overall.  Sometimes their employees are not known for having the most knowledge outside of AAA titles, despite the fact that they sell everything from Atari 2600 through current gen.  Still, I've been buying from them off and on for the last 15+ years, as I see good deals.  **UPDATE** The last couple times I was in a Gamer's store, the retro game selection was almost laughable, and the clerks they had almost no knowledge outside of current and last gen.  I wouldn't put them on the bad list yet, but consider them perhaps a last resort  if you're in the Lincoln/Omaha area.  **2018 UPDATE** Anything 32-bit and prior, you'll be lucky to find at Gamers these days.  I still occasionally stumble upon something good, but consider them more of a PS2/Xbox/GCN and above kind of vendor at this point.

Game Vault
6307 Center Street #102
Omaha, NE 68106

I've become acquainted with this store over the last year, and it's quickly become a favorite place to go each time I'm in Omaha.  They actually have a few Saturn games (that don't suck), even though they're overpriced, and their selection overall is pretty good.  They even have a handful of imports from time to time.  If you're passing through Omaha, and you've got a gaming itch, this is a good place to scratch it.  **UPDATE 2018** Unfortunately, this store has closed  Sad

Ben's Game Zone
7930 Harrison Street
La Vista, NE 68128

I've not been there, but I've read that it's a great place to go.  Apparently they have good prices, and don't gouge folks for stuff.  My next trip to Omaha I fully plan to check them out.  **UPDATE** I have now visited this store several times, and have nearly always had a good experience.  Some of their PS1 stuff is overpriced for what it is, but they're probably just trying to hit market value.  I've picked up a boat-load of Game Boy games from this store, and so far the prices have been very good.  The staff have been helpful as well. ** 2018 UPDATE**  I've been to Ben's Game Zone a number of times now, and have picked up quite a few Game Boy games from them, along with a few other things, including even some inexpensive Saturn import titles.  Good place to shop, and the owner is a nice guy who is fun to talk to about games.  Some of their stuff is still overpriced, but just know what you're looking for and what market value is, and you should be able to avoid that stuff.

EDIT:  Game Cycle just opened up a location in Grand Island, NE @ 203 N. Locust Street.  It's a larger location than the Hastings, NE store, and they have way better selection.  They even have a handful of Japanese FC, SFC, and other games.  I guess the owner (7 or 8 stores total now) goes to Japan frequently to buy used Japanese retro games and brings large hauls back to the states to sell in his stores.  Makes me want a Famicom.  They currently have a Japanese copy of Duck Tales 2 for Famicom at this location  Grin

EDIT 2: Game Cycle continues to expand in Nebraska - this time they've opened a store in Columbus, NE @ 2014 23rd Street.  I haven't had the chance to go there yet, but hope to make it over there soon.  Based on the street address, since it's on the "main drag", I'm going to assume they're probably not in a very large shop location, so they probably don't have super selection, but for a small city the size of Columbus (22k) to have a retro game store, it's certainly welcome.  **2018 UPDATE**  The Columbus, NE location closed in 2017 due to lack of sales.

****2018 UPDATE****
There's another place in Omaha that I discovered during 2017, and having been there a couple times now, I can say it's worth checking out:

Pop Culture Exchange
1110 S 71st St
Omaha, NE 68106

Good store, interesting owner/clerk.  They have pretty good selection, and while some stuff is a little overpriced, they also have variety with vinyl albums and other collectibles.  I've picked up a number of things there at this point, and will definitely be going back next time I'm in Omaha.

****2018 UPDATE 2****
Game Cycle has opened a Lincoln location as of 4-23-18:

3841 S 48th St
Lincoln, NE 68506

It's a decent location (by one of the colleges), and based on my visit to the store prior to it opening up, it looks like they're going to have good selection.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:07:03 AM by MetalFRO » Logged

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »

I would say these would be great places to hit up if in the nj area

Gamezone
108 Broadway
Hillsdale nj 07642

Nice size shop they go back to atari but really good selection of nes to modern.  Very good prices clean the owner is always a big help. I prefer this store cause its closer to my house and they always have something new in I don't have and is a must add to my gaming collection

Other store I would suggest no big surprise to those in the Tristan area

Digital press
387 piidget ave
Clifton nj

Big big store with a little bit of everything. Monthly get together are cool and are held at the end of each month .

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:44:47 AM by A8scooter » Logged

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »

How's Digital Press been lately? I know there were some issues with old vs. new crew a while back, and a lot of the older crew moved on.

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2015, 03:43:38 AM »

Can some one compile the list of game stores by state at the top like the bad game stores thread does  would benefit us all if it was sorted by state for when we are looking for places to hit up

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ manuals and boxes
Nico Bleackley
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

World-8
1057 Vermont Ave,
Los Angeles, CA 90006
http://www.world-8.com/

An incredible store.  Their stock comes in waves, but I always end up buying at least 1 thing every time I'm in there.  Nicest staff you could ever imagine. I'm new to the area and where I'm from we only have a Gamestop, so I was floored by how friendly and approachable everyone here is. I always lose track of time just talking games with these guys. They do weekly fighting game casuals every Friday too! Definitely worth a look!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2015, 03:26:01 PM »

Makes Cents Variety Store, corner of National Ave. & 47 St. across from the VA hospital near Miller Park.  I love this store.  Hasn't even been open a year but this guy has some great prices and has some good stuff!  Everyday is 20% if you buy $100 and he has a punch card.  For every $10 you spend you get a punch, after 10 punches you get $20 to spend in the store!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:57:23 PM by shaggy » Logged

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »

So for 100 is 10 punches or one  punch since it was one transaction over 10.00

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ manuals and boxes
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »

So for 100 is 10 punches or one  punch since it was one transaction over 10.00

Correct, you can get multiple punches on a purchase.  If you spend $100, he gives 20% off instead.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
InfiniteVoid
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »

Retro City Games
6100 Mountain Vista St #120
Henderson, NV 89014
United States

-Amazing Customer Service
-Prices are either Ebay or below
-Owned by a really nice couple that are great to chat with

RetroChiGuy1212
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »

I thought it might help to say what some good stores around your area are. Also, If you find any abroad, write them down!!

I'll start off:

Video Games Etc.
4351 N. Harlem Ave.
Norridge, IL
(708)457-2260

Great selection, highly recommended! Grin

This one is still good!
Crazy_Opossum
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »

Video Game Connection
300 W. Genesse St.
Lapeer, MI. 48446

According to their Facebook page, they permanently closed at the latter half of last year

~The Craziest Opossum you know!
Bear78
DB Contributor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »

I don't remember if I've posted this here or not but here is a map of all game stores in the St. Louis area.  Independent and other.

https://drive.google.com/...ef1ITnXbM&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:00:46 AM by Bear78 » Logged

WhyNotZoidberg
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »

If you're ever in the area:

Souffle dans Cassette
2325 B, Boul. Sainte-Sophie
Sainte-Sophie, Québec
J5V 2V3

https://souffledanscassette.com/en