RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:42:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 780268 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3690 on: March 01, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »

That does suck James, a buddy once had his basement robbed of everything but the massive TV, furniture, and stuff locked in his room. It was a harsh ordeal and the only time I saw his mom piss drunk so early in the day.

All that drilling yesterday was followed by the jackhammer right in the hallway in front of my apartment or flat, found out there was a bursting plumbing emergency from maintenance. So we're having all of our metal pipes replaced with PVC as I type this up. Thankfully they're done with the jackhammer, its felt like a mild earthquake the past couple days.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:19:21 PM by sirpsycho » Logged

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3691 on: March 01, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »

The worst thing is I realised just before I went to bed that they had taken two of my watches. I've had one of them since I was 10 and the other one was a 21st birthday present. They both mean a lot to me.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3692 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »

That's horrible James. Sorry to hear of the loss, but glad that you have a backup of most of the important items.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3693 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »

Bought a new laptop. Normally with a new laptop you spend 10-15 minutes going through Windows account setup. This one has so far taken 90 minutes to basically reinstall Windows then go through Toshiba's own update program, which prevents you doing anything else while it's going. All the updates it's doing could be handled in the background by Windows, without rebooting after every single update. Stupid.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:46:00 AM by James » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3694 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »

That's a shame, James, especially the watches. Luckily you "only" lost 3 weeks worth of photos and not years worth of photos.

Backup, backup, backup. Undecided

When you're on a holiday you can bring blank DVD's with you. Every week you can burn your photos on a DVD and mail it to yourself back in the UK. That way your photos are not lost when the worst happens. A huge hassle (and not cost-free) but atleast you'd not loose your photos.

Alternatively, using an online/cloud storage solution is also possible. Or if you can access your home network from the internet you could send things over that way.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3695 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

Alternatively, using an online/cloud storage solution is also possible. Or if you can access your home network from the internet you could send things over that way.

I did have a server set up in Britain which I was going to use for backups but it doesn't really work with upload speeds of around 150kbps when you're trying to upload 5GB of photos in a day's shooting. Also, we have an above average monthly data cap of 60GB, which brings me to my next annoyance. I downloaded 16GB of games on Steam and now I've decided to reinstall Windows on this laptop because it's doing stupid things. Of course, I don't have an external hard drive to put it on so I'll have to shuffle things around with my memory cards and USB sticks. If I just wiped the data I would have wasted 16GB of our allowance.
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #3696 on: March 03, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »

We've been burgled. Sad

They took three laptops, an external hard drive, dad's camera, dad's cheap UK phone, our TV, and a five pound note. They also took some of dad's beta blockers. If they're hoping to get high, they'll be unpleasantly surprised when they end up dead.

I'm typing from dad's newly purchased laptop, hence no pound sign.

Luckily I took my backpack with camera and 3DS worth NZ$4500 to work with me. My laptop has a password on it but I'm still gutted about all the data I've lost. Most of my photos on the laptop are also on my desktop PC in the UK. It's just the last 3 weeks'worth that I've lost.

I've spoken to the neighbours and we're the only ones that got done.

The TV and laptops can be replaced and paid for by the insurance, but it's the data and the information they've got that worries me.

My sympathies, good sir.  As a victim of a major, house cleaning burglary twice over, I have also felt the sting of having personal items (physical and digital) stolen that meant a great deal to me.  Not to mention the uncomfortable insecurity that accompanies the realization that someone had the gal to just take my things, and that such amoral characters know where I live.

I pray that more than the physical items, you are able to recover peace of mind.

Keelah se'lai
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3697 on: March 03, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

I remote accessed my British desktop using Team Viewer and in the process of emailing myself some of the more special photos, I found out about Skydrive. If you email photos through Hotmail as an album, rather than a direct attachment, they get uploaded to Skydrive. You can upload up to 200 files at a time with maximum sizes of 50MB each, and a total capacity up to 25GB. If I do that, I could leave my British PC chugging away overnight uploading stuff at 150-200kbps, then I can download them to my NZ laptop whenever I want at 10-15Mbps. I think I'll start doing it in the opposite direction for backups.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3698 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
^^^That made me laugh so i decided it should go there^^^

People are so creative.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3699 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

I remote accessed my British desktop using Team Viewer and in the process of emailing myself some of the more special photos, I found out about Skydrive. If you email photos through Hotmail as an album, rather than a direct attachment, they get uploaded to Skydrive. You can upload up to 200 files at a time with maximum sizes of 50MB each, and a total capacity up to 25GB. If I do that, I could leave my British PC chugging away overnight uploading stuff at 150-200kbps, then I can download them to my NZ laptop whenever I want at 10-15Mbps. I think I'll start doing it in the opposite direction for backups.

Same thing for Box.net. 50GB free if you have an iOS or Android device (or just sign in on one). 100MB single file limit.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3700 on: March 06, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »

I have a skydrive i never use. I was not overly impressed but i don't remember why...

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3701 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »

I have a skydrive i never use. I was not overly impressed but i don't remember why...

Probably because it interlaces photos uploaded from your Windows Phone and doesn't allow for direct image sharing?

I tried it when I first got my phone, and informed you it was not a usable solution for photo sharing. I immediately downloaded Picasa Metro and haven't been happier for a $0.99 purchase.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3702 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:38 PM »

Hooray for Google and Sales!

Hello World.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3703 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »

Probably because it interlaces photos uploaded from your Windows Phone and doesn't allow for direct image sharing?

I tried it when I first got my phone, and informed you it was not a usable solution for photo sharing. I immediately downloaded Picasa Metro and haven't been happier for a $0.99 purchase.

Ahh that could be it. Other than paying the monthly bill the only thing i pay for on my phone is achievement related

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3704 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length