RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:42:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 792659 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #5430 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »

Next person to register will be member 9000...

Bet it was a bot.
Sadly, it was. I'd say 4 out of 5 new registrations are bots. Hence, why most of my RFG time is spent battling them.

does the registration process not have a captcha?
It does, and its set to its strongest setting. We're also connected to StopForumSpam, so anyone on their list can't register. Those two things probably keep out a hundred bots every day, but a few still manage to slip through.
Just one of the costs of having such an awesome forum I guess.

So, silly question...what's a bot going to do once it's registered...tie up resources or something?  Sorry, IT ignoramus here...

if you're ever on the site really late at night you're more likely to see some of it before the mods catch it, some of it can be pretty hilarious.
Most of them actually just put a bunch of links in their profiles to whatever site they want to "promote". I don't think many actual people are clicking those links, so I'm assuming they're more for crawlers to access them so their site appears to be more popular/more connected to the rest of the web. Which just means more advertising dollars to those sites.

But its not harmless to us, we have had over 9000 registrations, but currently have only 6500 members, so if left alone, that would be 2500 profile pages that are taking up our bandwidth solely to benefit other websites.

moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5431 on: February 05, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »

Next person to register will be member 9000...

Bet it was a bot.
Sadly, it was. I'd say 4 out of 5 new registrations are bots. Hence, why most of my RFG time is spent battling them.

does the registration process not have a captcha?
It does, and its set to its strongest setting. We're also connected to StopForumSpam, so anyone on their list can't register. Those two things probably keep out a hundred bots every day, but a few still manage to slip through.
Just one of the costs of having such an awesome forum I guess.

So, silly question...what's a bot going to do once it's registered...tie up resources or something?  Sorry, IT ignoramus here...

if you're ever on the site really late at night you're more likely to see some of it before the mods catch it, some of it can be pretty hilarious.
Most of them actually just put a bunch of links in their profiles to whatever site they want to "promote". I don't think many actual people are clicking those links, so I'm assuming they're more for crawlers to access them so their site appears to be more popular/more connected to the rest of the web. Which just means more advertising dollars to those sites.

But its not harmless to us, we have had over 9000 registrations, but currently have only 6500 members, so if left alone, that would be 2500 profile pages that are taking up our bandwidth solely to benefit other websites.

Wow, anything to make a buck for some folks I guess...probably not a lot of job satisfaction with that one...

[img width=95 height=39]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/RFGmicrobar01.gif[/img]
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5432 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »

As someone who does a lot of ad clickwork to scrape together a few bucks, I feel like the internet advertising bubble has to pop at some point.

It's like bots on bots on bots. Then when you get to the cent per click stuff that I do it's like people on bots on bots. At some point the people paying to advertise will have to look at what they're paying for (other people paying other people to click their links) and realize that it's not actually selling any extra products.

When shall his new form be revealed?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5433 on: February 14, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »

So this was my reaction to logging in tonight.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5434 on: February 14, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »

As someone who does a lot of ad clickwork to scrape together a few bucks, I feel like the internet advertising bubble has to pop at some point.

It's like bots on bots on bots. Then when you get to the cent per click stuff that I do it's like people on bots on bots. At some point the people paying to advertise will have to look at what they're paying for (other people paying other people to click their links) and realize that it's not actually selling any extra products.

Uh-oh, you've discovered their terrible secret.

Hide yourself away before they make you disappear for knowing too much.
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5435 on: February 20, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5436 on: February 20, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »

Oh, you poor, poor man. I'm so sorry.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5437 on: February 21, 2014, 01:24:59 AM »

i'm confused, what's new in that picture? there's nothing to put the sizes into perspective, i don't know if the small ones are new or the big ones
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5438 on: February 21, 2014, 02:47:40 AM »

I think there is a child of unknown sex joining the family.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5439 on: February 21, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »

I think there is a child of unknown sex joining the family.

You are correct, sir!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5440 on: February 21, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

Congrats lots of RFG babies in 2014!!!!

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5441 on: February 21, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »

Watching the Olympics. It's a shame we couldn't beat the Canadians at hockey (again).

Also, "Die, rebel scum!"

it's thinking
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5442 on: February 23, 2014, 02:34:07 PM »

^ Or the Fins... Tongue

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5443 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »

Major congrats bickman!

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5444 on: February 24, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »

Harold Ramis is dead Sad

No more Ghostbusters

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 400 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length