RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:32:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Konami Collection 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Konami Collection  (Read 2035 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: December 30, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »

Hey all I have been collecting Castlevania games this past year, and I came up with a new goal, collecting U.S. released Konami games.  I do not know the breadth of this goal( konami has got to have 1000s of games), so if anyone has any ideas or has embarked on this task before, please help me out.

I could use tips on what is a good place to start collecting Konami games ( what are some of the rare Konami games, what are the most common, how many games are in this collection, Cool variants, etc..)  basic information stuff is much needed, as well as your experience collecting a whole game companies library.

Please pass on any websites that can help me achieve this goal, as well.

I think this will be a long standing goal, that will take me a couple of years to achieve, but I think I am ready for this huge endeavor.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

I know Kid Dracula for the Game Boy can be hard to find, damn near impossible to find CIB.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »

It will probably be much easier for you to break it down into series at first. Then you can figure out stuff like:

Which Metal Gear/Castlevania/Contra/DDR/Silent Hill/Gradius/etc. games are gonna be the hardest to find or cost the most money. Suikoden II is gonna set you back a few bucks and I'm pretty sure there is a Metal Gear on the PS2 that is a pain to track down. If you want the entire Bundles DDR will be a pain in the butt. Are you gonna grab re-releases on other systems (Silent Hill HD Remake good enough or do you want each individual release)?

As far as a publisher to collect for you could do a lot worse than Konami. At least you'll have a fair amount of enjoyable games, especially if you don't mind the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »

It will probably be much easier for you to break it down into series at first. Then you can figure out stuff like:

Which Metal Gear/Castlevania/Contra/DDR/Silent Hill/Gradius/etc. games are gonna be the hardest to find or cost the most money. Suikoden II is gonna set you back a few bucks and I'm pretty sure there is a Metal Gear on the PS2 that is a pain to track down. If you want the entire Bundles DDR will be a pain in the butt. Are you gonna grab re-releases on other systems (Silent Hill HD Remake good enough or do you want each individual release)?

As far as a publisher to collect for you could do a lot worse than Konami. At least you'll have a fair amount of enjoyable games, especially if you don't mind the Yu-Gi-Oh stuff.

if it was me i would say for the collection to be more awesome, the original releases of each game would be best. and then once you have all those start picking up re-releases and compilations as you see fit.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »

if it was me i would say for the collection to be more awesome, the original releases of each game would be best. and then once you have all those start picking up re-releases and compilations as you see fit.

That's how I'd do it too, but if its cheaper and easier to find a collection with the same games I could see the argument for it. Just grab a Konami Classics Collection and wipe out a huge chunk of your goal in one fell swoop!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:12:46 AM »

The entire Suikoden series is a pretty decent money sink, trust me. Outside of II you'll probably have to drop a bit for V, but IV and Tactics are dirt cheap (and crap).

Even going for subsets like just the Silver Box games at first will be pretty time and money consuming. I think I've gotten lucky with some of my Silver Box grabs but I still haven't run across a real meaty title like a CIB Castlevania yet.

I think the Metal Gear Crabby's talking about are the MGS 3 Limited Editions, there are two and both are pricey. For awhile Twin Snakes on GC was commanding a decent price but I haven't followed it in a year or so.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »

I will probably just do the original releases, haven't really decided if owning every version of each Konami game is important to me.  I use to have one of the Suikoden's( III or IV, not sure) back in the day but most my collection that I had gotten growing up, was taken from me in Hurricane Katrina. I had some nice gems, as wells as the first 4 or 5 years of Nintendo Power. : ( I still feel from that loss.

I appreciate all the help, and I do realize that there are a lot of games in the Konami library, that are less than good. I am not looking forward to buying Yu-Gi-Oh games, in the slightest. : ) These are the things I do for my gaming collection.

Keep the ideas coming, and I will probably do a post on the "keep a look out for me thread" soon for Konami games.  I moved away from a Goodwill, and an awesome local game store that always had good stuff coming in, now I am in an area that seems all dried up. Hopefully i can get my luck back again. : )

I am considering looking out for 8-bit and 16bit Konami game posters, as well.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 02:00:45 AM »

Konami had some awesome mail away only NES posters. it was basically he silver box titles blown up huge minus the Nintendo Seal. They are quite rare and a bit pricey, but really bad ass.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:54 AM »

Konami had some awesome mail away only NES posters. it was basically he silver box titles blown up huge minus the Nintendo Seal. They are quite rare and a bit pricey, but really bad ass.

Nice, i will have to keep a look out for those, thanks for the heads up

dustygraves.
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »

did you know that konami made 3 games for the atari 2600?
i think these were their first us releases. they are pooyan
strategy x / marine wars. not to spendy but not easy to find either:) oh and hey all this is my first post here:)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »

Welcome dustygraves!

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »

Welcome to the community, and thanks for the heads up