RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:29:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | eBay Tip 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: eBay Tip  (Read 1610 times)
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »

So, I search eBay a lot for various things and I got tired of typing in searches for each and every thing.  And then you have to weed through the crap that has nothing to do with what you want to find.  So, I did a little research and testing and came up with a good way to refine my searches.  This may not be new info to most of you but I  thought I'd share it anyway.

This example is just for NES games cause that's what Is earch the most.  When searching use this format right in the search field:

NES +(1942,1943,Abadox,"Action 52","Addams Family") -(vidpro,famicom)

This searches for NES and then narrows it down to the items in the first set of ( ) and then eliminates the items in the second set of ( ).  The quotes are only necessary if you're searching a game with more than 1 word.  You should be able to add as many items as you want to the ( ).

anybody else have any good searching techniques?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

eBay has an API...you could always find an existing program or write up your own little application to notify you once something meets your search parameters on a timed interval, in case you care about BIN auctions.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

Heh, I thought that was common knowledge. I always search for things on eBay like that. Especially for computer related things. If you just search for "keyboard" for example, you'll get a million results for junk like keyboard protectors, replacement laptop keyboards, cellphone keyboards, etc...

I ocassionally do the same thing on Google.
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

eBay has an API...you could always find an existing program or write up your own little application to notify you once something meets your search parameters on a timed interval, in case you care about BIN auctions.
That would be cool but since I know balls about programming I'm outta luck. lol

@Sirgin I'm frequently the last to know things.

RobotCowhand
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »

I didn't know about the multiple terms within the brackets. Very useful.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »

That would be cool but since I know balls about programming I'm outta luck. lol

@Sirgin I'm frequently the last to know things.

You are second last to know this time. I was completely unaware and super psyched to give it a go next time. Thanks moose!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

I used to have several searches like this saved, but they mysteriously disappeared one day. I never bothered to remake them.

Super slick, though. REALLY helps weed through a good chunk of the junk that people post.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »

i just normally use the filters on the left, that usually gets rid of most of the junk
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »

i just normally use the filters on the left, that usually gets rid of most of the junk
The thing with that is that you have to click on each filter.  That gets annoying after a while. Cheesy

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »

good point XD
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length