RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:31:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Favorite Horror Films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Horror Films  (Read 59654 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

Since it's October and there seems to be several horror film fans on our site (see HoD discussion in the replies from the last podcast), I thought it might be appropriate to list some of our favorites.  Top 5 -10 lists encouraged.  Always happy to see references to ones I have never seen.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:34:59 PM »

the only horror flick that truly freaked me out and downright disturbed me was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. And a very straightforward, no-frills, no-nonsense, unapologetic portrait at that. Probably due to it being grounded in the real world, very loosely based on the exploits of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole. The fact that the events in the movie could actually happen, and likely have, is what makes it a chiller of epic proportions.

Oh, and Monster was pretty disturbing and downright saddening, too. Like Henry, it was based on real-life serial killer Aileen Wuornos. The movie's use of the Journey song Don't Stop Believin' was used in such a powerfully and intentionally ironic fashion, I can't help but think of the movie whenever I hear it on the radio. In fact, if I do hear it coming up, I'll switch stations so I don't get all bummed out.

As for Freddy and Jason: as the sequels moved along, they became such over-the-top self-parodies, I treat them more as high camp than proper horror flicks.
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

the only horror flick that truly freaked me out and downright disturbed me was Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. And a very straightforward, no-frills, no-nonsense, unapologetic portrait at that. Probably due to it being grounded in the real world, very loosely based on the exploits of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole. The fact that the events in the movie could actually happen, and likely have, is what makes it a chiller of epic proportions.

...have you seen Maniac (1980)?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »

I agree, the Freddy/Jason series started getting a little cheesy, but the original nightmare and the Friday the 13th series up through 5 are still classics.  I've got a copy of "Twitch of the Death Nerve" (Bay of Blood - U.S. title) on my Amazon wishlist, which of course get's ignored almost every year at Christmas time.  It is supposedly the father of the "slasher" genre.  I love opening gifts Christmas morning and getting a stack of horror DVDs my mom or mother-in-law ordered with no idea about the content.  It's always great when they ask.  This years list consists of: Twitch of the Death Nerve, Torso, Cat People, and The Bird With the Crystal Plumage.  Some of my favorites are as follows, no specific order:

any of the Universal monster films
Tenebre
Deep Red
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Alien/Aliens
Zombie (Fulci)
Evil Dead II
The Blob (McQueen)
King Kong (1933)
The Brood
Halloween
The Exorcist
Dead Alive
The Frighteners
The Omen
Ravenous
Sisters
Shadow of a Doubt
American Psycho
The Tingler
Targets

Looking over this list, it's odd that some of these don't specifically fall into the "horror" category.  It's odd how movies further fragment into sub-categories.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »

Twitch of the Deathnerve is a bit of a letdown honestly. It's more like "oh.. yeah.. I can see why it was an inspiration on US slashers." But it's not exactly a great film on its own.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

Twitch of the Deathnerve is a bit of a letdown honestly. It's more like "oh.. yeah.. I can see why it was an inspiration on US slashers." But it's not exactly a great film on its own.

Yeah, so I've been told.  Bava can be hit or miss, but I've still always wanted to check it out.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »

Oh yeah you SHOULD see it.

ixtaileddemonfox
Weapon X
TurboGrafx-16

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »

Nightmare on elm street series
Wishmaster series
Leprechaun Series
Hell Raiser Series
House Series
Cube Series
Puppet Master Series
Evil Dead Series
The Fly
The Thing (old One)

Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the SAW movies, but the first one is hands down the best in my opinion.  A lot of people didn't see the ending coming.  Every SAW movie after that you kind of were looking for the twist, but that first one caught me off guard.

Looking for CIB NES games..........even Silent Service.
I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »

FYI, horror films are my favorite genre. Slasher is my favorite sub-genre. I've seen in the neighborhood of between 100 and 200 slasher films. That said, I've never been good at Top 10 lists or anything. So I'll mostly just be commenting on other posts here haha.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »

Audition
Martyrs
Inside
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The House of the Devil
Creepshow
Psycho
The Stuff
The Descent
Hatchet
Dead Snow
The Fly (either one)

Just to name a few of the top of my head and browsing netflix.

Also, I very highly recommend Trick 'R Treat for the Halloween season. The one with Anna Paquin. I watch it every year on Halloween night with the wife. It is more of a "fun" horror anthology, like creepshow but the stories are more intermingled with each other.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »

Well my taste in the horror movie genera is pretty shitty. But I'll at least give my two cents if I may.

If the movie Rocky Horror Picture Show counts than that is my favorite. It's a fusion of so many genera's all rolled into one. It's a mental mind f**k. But it does have horror in the name sooo, I guess it counts.

Moving on with my bad taste in horror

Tremors 1&2
The Butterfly Effect (May not be a horror movie but sure is scary to me)
Silent hill
Resident Evil series
Saw series
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Dawn of the Dead (2004 version, cause its the only one I've watched)

Well thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Just be glad this isn't a favorite comedy thread or else I'd be blowing it up with favorites.

Guess I'll have to wait till April until I can post that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:33:09 PM by Razor Knuckles » Logged
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 09:09:47 PM »

...have you seen Maniac (1980)?

Um... should I?

BTW thanks to Nanners for reminding me of American Psycho, which is one I've been meaning to get to.
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:04 PM »

Oldboy.

Keelah se'lai
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:18 PM »

Good call on The Thing.  Forgot about that one.  The original with Mr. Russell of course.

I've heard good things about Audition, but have been reluctant to watch it.  Not a big fan of the newer genre of torture films, but I may have to check it out.  I've seen Trick or Treat a few times and it's are really good one to watch around Halloween, good twists and intermingled stories work well together.  I actually have a copy of the graphic novel.

Love Tremors as well.  Very campy, but so great.  Anything with odd monsters in it Critters, Ghoulies, etc.  I'm sold.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Silent Deadly Night series. It's so bad it's good.  Mickey Rooney is in part five as an evil toy maker.....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length