RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:14:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Sega Genesis games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Sega Genesis games  (Read 19221 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2020, 09:20:36 PM »

Here's my list:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Streets of Rage 2 - I remember playing this over and over again with my friend.  This game never disappoints and is the best in the series.
3. Aladdin - This is the ultimate version of Aladdin from the music to the gameplay.  This is Aladdin done right.
4. Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
5. Ecco the Dolphin - Who thought a game about a dolphin could be fun?  Sega sure knew how to make Genesis games.
6. ToeJam & Earl
7. Dynamite Headdy
8. Decap Attack
9. Golden Axe
10. Rocket Knight Adventures
11. Sonic & Knuckles
12. Light Crusader
13. Super Street Fighter II
14. Jurassic Park
15. Mortal Kombat
16. Taz-Mania
17. Road Rash
18. Sword of Vermillion
19. Kid Chameleon
20. NFL Sports Talk Football '93 Starring Joe Montana

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »

I was the one that had combined Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles. If I were going to split them Is definitely give the spot to 3 though.

This was one of my favorites to take part in so far.

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - This is not just my favorite Sonic game I think it’s also the best game on the Genesis. I never get tired of running through the confusion that is the Chemical Plant Zone, grooving my way through the Mystic Cave Zone or methodically navigating past the Metropolis Zone. Maybe my favorite bonus stages of all time with the halfpipes. And if you can get enough emeralds to unleash Super Sonic you just feel truly invincible. The tense final battle against both Metal Sonic and Robotnik is a true test of skill. That boss music is second to none.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles - (I hope it’s not cheating to have these 2 combined) Just a huge sprawling Sonic game. Knuckles is great, new shields are great, new zones are great, 3D bonus stages are a nice addition, and wowzers some of those songs are always on my playlist.

3. Earthworm Jim - What a great blend of comedy, action and style! It can be pretty hard at times, but it's fair in its design and with the jamming soundtrack and stunning look I've always found it impossible to get frustrated with this gem. It’s also got that extra funky bass sound that the SNES can’t quite pull off.

4. Maximum Carnage - Takes a very cool comic arc and pulls all the awesome action heavy encounters from it to form a truly amazing beat em up. Lots of references to the source material and cool secrets to discover.

5. Comix Zone - Still to this day has one of my favorite visual styles in any game. The presentation of the game being done in comic style panels is gorgeous. The gameplay is no slouch either with a strong beat em up mechanics and some cool opportunities for secrets hidden inside the comic book!

6. TMNT hyperstone heist - Even if you’re not into TMNT there is a really strong beat em up here with a great variety of levels, enemies and bosses. One of the best beat em ups around!

7. Streets of Rage - Most will go with 2, but when I think Streets of Rage I think of the first one. This has a really cool soundtrack, great visual style to it and lots of street thugs to beat down!!

8. Adventures of Batman & Robin - As a huge fan of the show this game is just a great piece of fan service. Decent beat em up too.

9. Crusader of Centy - A solid Zelda style game that doesn’t take itself too serious and is just as bright and colorful as you could possibly hope for.

10. Dynamite Headdy - Such a unique way to approach an action platformer. Being able to change your head out to a variety of specialized heads makes for all sorts of interesting levels and ways to play. Lots of fun and very bright and colorful.

11. Castlevania Bloodlines - Pretty solid entry into the Castlevania franchise. Great tunes, cool levels all the way through.

12. Road Rash 3 - An old guilty pleasure of mine. Just straightforward campy violence.

13. Rocketknight Adventures - Very bright and cheerful action heavy platformer. Has some really cool moments in some levels with the rocket pack abilities.

14. Earthworm Jim 2 - Its got most of the charm and action of the original, but stacked up head to head just has a few stages that aren't quite as much fun as EJ1.

15. Revenge of Shinobi - It’s not quite Ninja Gaiden levels of awesome, but it’s about as close as we got on the Genesis.

16. Vector Man - One of the best run n gun shooters of the era showing that the SNES isn’t the only one that can prerender their games

17. Simpsons Bart's Nightmare - People like to rag on the old simpsons games, but I have always loved many of them and Bart’s Nightmare is one of my favs. Lots of neat little mini-games to mess around with and tons of references to the show. Do the Bartman!

18. Sonic the Hedgehog - I’m a sucker for a good platformer. While the sequels may have outdone it (as they should) there is still a lot of charm in the original.

19. X-Men - This was one of those games as a kid I owned and was stuck with. It’s hard as hell, but eventually in my adult life I put the time and effort in to actually beat it. It’s one of the games I’m proudest I was able to complete so it has a special spot in my library.

20. Golden Axe - Writing out this list really highlighted how much I enjoy beat em ups on the Genesis. This one is pretty basic, but it’s fun in its simplicity. I love the swords and sorcery theme and Gilius is the man!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »

Okay, here's my list:

1. Lightening Force - There's no doubt this was going to be my #1 pick. The BEST shoot-em-up of the 16-bit era, bar none. This game is Technosoft's crown jewel, with amazing levels, graphics that pushed the Genesis to the limit, an astounding soundtrack that is among the most famous of its time, and legendary difficulty. This game has everything you want from a shooter, and is just so good, nothing else can even touch it.

2. Gunstar Heroes - This game sees Treasure beating Konami (who formerly employed several of these designers) at their own game. This is arguably the finest "run and gun" game of the 16-bit era, with amazing set pieces, fun weapons to use, colorful graphics, interesting locations, cool game mechanics, and a wacky sense of humor that permeates the whole thing. If Contra: Hard Corps hadn't been made more difficult in its localization, it's possible that could have been a contender, but ultimately, Gunstar Heroes just does almost everything better.

3. Streets of Rage 2 - THE quintessential console beat-em-up game, this took the original game's formula and amped it up in almost every conceivable way. The character sprites are bigger, more detailed, and better animated. There are 4 characters to choose from now, instead of just 3. The action is better, with more moves, and individual super moves, instead of just callig in reinforcements. And Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack is masterful, and one of the most iconic of the era. A must-own for action game fans.

4. Shinobi 3 - Many would point to this game's predecessor, Revenge of Shinobi, as the favorite, but I believe this is arguably the better game. While not a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack, it's still a fantastic set of chiptunes to listen to. Also, the game's levels are interesting and varied, and the addition of the jump kick move gives the game even more versatility. The new autoscrolling levels bring in more variety, as well.

5. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition - While the SNES might have got in on the Street Fighter II action earlier, the Genesis game is arguably the better, and more complete, package. Bringing in the 4 bosses as playable characters, and consisting of both the "Champ" mode, and the "Hyper" mode (with Hyper Fighting rules), this game packed a lot of content into a single, 24 megabit cartridge, which was huge for its time.

6. Jewel Master - I see this as a spiritual sequel to the early Genesis game Mystic Defender, as it takes the idea of a magic-wielding action game to the next level. More varied, and with more to do than Sega's own Alisia Dragoon, as well, this game brings solid level design, good graphics, a great soundtrack, and an interesting magic system to the table. As you play, you find and collect magic rings. Depending on which rings you wear, and in what combination, enables different types of magical attacks and effects, and finding the right combinations to use in different situations is key to the game. Highly underrated.

7. Sonic the Hedgehog - Most people would expect to see the game's sequel on the list, but I still prefer the original. Yes, the spindash was a great upgrade, but the level design in the original is tight. The graphics are colorful, without being too bright and garish, and the soundtrack is sublime. The sequel is a worthy game, but the original will always have my heart.

8. Strider - Sega takes on the task of converting Capcom's monster arcade hit action game to the Genesis, and succeeds admirably. Great graphics and sound, and all the crazy set pieces from the arcade game are here. It's a very faithful version of the arcade hit, and was an early boost to the library of the Genesis, to help set it apart from what the NES was capable of.

9. Ristar - A creation of Sonic Team, this fun platformer takes the colorful design of a series like Sonic the Hedgehog and takes it in a different direction. The grabbing/pulling mechanic is very tight, and is used in some fun and creative ways in the game. It's got great graphics and sound, and is very charming and fun to play.

10. Golden Axe 2 - Objectively a better game to the original Genesis conversion of the arcade hit, this game sees improvement in the graphics and music, as well as to the overall formula, even if those improvements are slight. Most noticeably, the magic system is upgraded, allowing you to hold down the button to decide how much magic power to use, or press once for a small magic attack.

11. Flashback - One of the earlier examples of the "cinematic platformer" sub-genre, Flashback took a very different approach than most platform games. Rather than make you a big-gun-toting hero character, who can blow away all the baddies, you are instead just a regular guy, suffering amnesia, and being assaulted by aliens. The game play is much more methodical, like Prince of Persia, and each area has various dangers to avoid, and puzzles to solve. The game's atmosphere really helps sell the experience.

12. Starflight - A game I spent countless hours on as a kid (the PC version, anyway), this space exploration sim gives you a large galaxy to explore, lots of things to do, fun ways to upgrade your ship, a variety of different alien species to recruit as crew members for your star ship, and enough story and RPG elements to help it cross over. The procedurally generated universe also meant that each time you started a new campaign was a unique experience.

13. Earthworm Jim - Most of the highlights of the Genesis library would be Japanese games, but this is a Western developed title that deserves recognition. Earthworm Jim is an unlikely, yet affable hero that has loads of personality. The game won audiences over with smooth animation, fun music, and a lot of good sight gags. Underneath all that, there's a pretty good action platformer here, as well!

14. Outrun - I'm no fan of racing games, but Outrun was always more of a driving game, seeing you cruising the countryside in your Ferrari, while cranking up great tunes on the car radio. The Genesis port isn't 1:1 with the arcade game, but it does a pretty good job of capturing that experience as much as it can, on the hardware. The Genesis renditions of the different music in the game do an admirable job of sounding like their arcade counterparts.

15. Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck - This is an early example of a "Metroidvania" lite kind of experience on the Genesis. It's also one of the best non-Capcom Disney licensed games out there. Rather than killing most enemies, you stun them with your plunger gun, to safely walk on by. You also use plungers to help you climb walls, and solve puzzles. You find new things to aid you in your journey to find lost treasure as you go, and some backtracking will be required to complete a couple levels. It's a very charming game, with great graphics, a great soundtrack, and a lot of personality.

16. Bio Hazard Battle - Originally known as Crying in Japan, this is the only shoot-em-up Sega ever developed themselves. The game has a unique approach, with 4 different flying insect creatures to control, and a bevy of weapons to choose from. The art style is true to the name as well, with various other insects & creatures as foes, and some body horror elements. The odd soundtrack helps set the mood, as well.

17. Columns - Sega's answer for the popularity that was Tetris. The primary game mode can be quite punishing, but the endless mode is a ton of fun, with the game slowly ramping up speed and difficulty, giving the player an opportunity to score massive amounts of points. The 3 songs complement the game's minimalist, zen presentation, and are memorable companions while you play.

18. Decap Attack - A game that is somewhat unfairly criticized for being "slippery" due to the physics, this game took the original Japanese release, Magical Hat no Buttobi Tābo! Daibōken, and improved upon it in a number of ways, and gave players a wacky protagonist to control. The game's bright, colorful graphics, excellent soundtrack and overall sense of whimsy help elevate it above many of the other character-based platform games of the time.

19. Vectorman - Sega's answer to Donkey Kong Country on the SNES, Vectorman was visually impressive, as well as being fun to play. Vectorman as a character lacked something, but it did allow you to kind of put yourself in his place, since he's just a blank avatar.

20. Bill Walsh College Football - This game doesn't get the love that Madden gets, but it's essentially the same engine. I have fond memories of playing this game during a sleepover, and despite being terrible at sports games, it was still a blast.

I realize after doing the list, there are a couple changes I would make now, having had even more time to consider it, but it's okay. It was still fun to come up with the games on the list.

EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »

Okay, here's my list:

1. Lightening Force - There's no doubt this was going to be my #1 pick...

The most predictable pick off of any list. Grin
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »

I would imagine so!  laugh

Seno
Sega CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »

Here's my list:

1. Rocket Knight Adventures
2. Sonic
3. Streets of Rage 2
4. Thunder Force 4
5. Micro Machines: Turbo Tournament 96
6. Gunstar Hero's
7. Jungle Strike – Improved on Desert Strike in every-way.
8. Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
9. Flashback
10. Shadow Dancer
11. Sonic 2
12. Ranger X
14.Road Rash 2
15. Dynamite Headdy
16. Ecco
17. Street Fighter 2: Special Championship Edition
18. Mega-lo-Maina
19. RoboCop Versus The Terminator
20. Fifa 95