RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:44:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGen's Top 20 Game Boy games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: RFGen's Top 20 Game Boy games  (Read 19446 times)
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »

So far, we've looked at several of the best games for the early Nintendo systems and one of the biggest competitors in that era in the Sega Genesis. You can find those discussion threads here-

N64- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19297.0
Sega Genesis- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19279.0
Super NES- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19263.0
NES- http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=19248.0

For May, we're going 'portable' with the list, and looking at the Game Boy. While it wasn't the first system for gaming on the go, it was the most popular during it's day. And by using Tetris as its pack in title, was one of the first game systems to market itself to a wide age range.

While there is some debate as to what the Game Boy's library includes, for the purpose of this list we'll be focusing specifically on games for the original 'brick'. While Nintendo lumps Game Boy Color in with the Gameboy sales, on the whole Game Boy Color games are a step up technologically from the original gray carts. And after consulting with a few diehard Game Boy fans, this seemed like the best route to take.

How to participate:

1. Make an ordered list of whatever games are your favorites for the system being covered that month.

-Make your list about what games you think are the best that system has to offer, NOT necessarily the most important. (For example, Super Mario Bros. is one of the most influential games in VG history, but not many would call it a better game than SMB3)

-Also, your list needs to be limited to games you have personally played. Don't include a game just because you've heard it's good, include a game because you know it's good.

-For a few of the games, try to include a few thoughts on why that particular game made your list. That way, those not as familiar with the game can see why it's one they should put on their radar.

2. Personal Message EZ Racer with your ordered list.

Just put "Top 20 games for the (whatever system we're covering that month)" in the subject line. Throughout the month, I will be compiling the results, and release a full list based on votes sent in. I will be putting extra weight on games voted for the top of the lists, so please make sure that your games are listed in numeric order. The reasoning behind a private vote is so that each member's vote can be their own, not influenced by what they think others would want.

The voting cutoff each month will be the last day of the month at 11:59 EST.

Once again for this list, please stick to only NA and PAL releases, that way RFGen members from across the pond can have a voice. But later in the year we'll do something for Japan exclusive titles.

Also, one last reminder, we're looking at games specifically designed for the original Game Boy, not those exclusive to Game Boy Color, or the black GB Color carts that are backwards compatible.

Should be an interesting list to put together!

Participants-

EZ Racer*
Disposed Hero*
EngineerMike
singlebanana*
MetalFro*
bombatomba*
shaggy*
Crabmaster2000*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:50:16 PM by EZ Racer » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »

Ah, Game Boy should be interesting! I'll have to play through some games just to fill out my list, but many GB games are short, so I should be able to blow through some pretty quickly.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:03:32 PM »

I will try and join in again

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:39:57 AM »

Oh man, this is going to be a great list!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »

You know I'll be making a list!!!

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »

I'm in.  I completely missed out on GB until very late in the last millennium, and even I'd say I played less than 5% of the catalog, so I've got a lot of catching up to do!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:38:59 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »

Alright gents, I need a judgement call.  Pokemon Yellow.  This was my first GB game, and I bought it with the whole yellow GBC set to play on breaks at work.  Whether or not this is considered GB or GBC is confusing me.  I don't remember any real color to the game Further referencing the RFG database it shows it as a GB game specifically.  But if you look at the box, the front says "Game Boy" with no mention of color, but if you look at the back of the box it shows some color on Pikachu and it does say it is compatible with Game Boy Color.  Is this game legitimate for this list?

- Han Solo
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »

Alright gents, I need a judgement call.  Pokemon Yellow.  This was my first GB game, and I bought it with the whole yellow GBC set to play on breaks at work.  Whether or not this is considered GB or GBC is confusing me.  I don't remember any real color to the game Further referencing the RFG database it shows it as a GB game specifically.  But if you look at the box, the front says "Game Boy" with no mention of color, but if you look at the back of the box it shows some color on Pikachu and it does say it is compatible with Game Boy Color.  Is this game legitimate for this list?

From what you said, it sounds like a GB game.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
EZ Racer
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »

Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow

When I was setting things up for the month, I had to double check this as well. Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are original Game Boy and eligible for this list. However, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are not.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »

When I was setting things up for the month, I had to double check this as well. Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow are original Game Boy and eligible for this list. However, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are not.

Since it's basically a minor GBC "glow up" of Red & Blue with a few new elements, that alone would probably cement it as a GB game first and foremost, so I think there's enough precedent to say Pokemon Yellow is probably a GB game primarily, and only a GBC game because of when it was released.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 03:45:27 PM »

List submitted.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 06:57:30 PM »

This'll be great

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 11:09:12 AM »

Alright gents, I need a judgement call.  Pokemon Yellow.  This was my first GB game, and I bought it with the whole yellow GBC set to play on breaks at work.  Whether or not this is considered GB or GBC is confusing me.  I don't remember any real color to the game Further referencing the RFG database it shows it as a GB game specifically.  But if you look at the box, the front says "Game Boy" with no mention of color, but if you look at the back of the box it shows some color on Pikachu and it does say it is compatible with Game Boy Color.  Is this game legitimate for this list?

Since it's basically a minor GBC "glow up" of Red & Blue with a few new elements, that alone would probably cement it as a GB game first and foremost, so I think there's enough precedent to say Pokemon Yellow is probably a GB game primarily, and only a GBC game because of when it was released.

That would make me very happy, as this was my first real GB game, and it turned me into a massive Pokemon fan for a couple of months.

I've been playing through a lot of the games, and am kind of surprised at the amount of attempts (some solid, some not) at NES ports.  This has got me wondering just how much nostalgia plays into this handheld.  I am genuinely having a lot of fun so far doing "research" for this list, but this question is dogging me as I play through the years of GB games (which I am choosing to play in "Pocket" black and white).

Also something I wanted to ask, to those who have a ton of nostalgia for the original GB, are your memories of playing them much brighter and uh, less blurry than they are in real life?  I had of a shock a number of years ago when showing off to my son the awesomeness that is Legend of Goku 2, I was stunned at how dark it was.  I remember the colors being bright and vivid, in stark contrast to the washed out look of my wife's GBA SP.

- Han Solo
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »

With the original GB, you had the contrast dial, so you could adjust the brightness, to a point. With the GBC, I always played with a snake light, so I didn't have a problem. And playing via GBA SP, even the earlier 001 model, with the front light, yeah, it looks a bit washed out. The later 101 units, with the backlit screen, probably fare better, and at some point, I hope to mod a 101 (or aftermarket) screen into a standard GBA form factor, so I can have the more comfortable to hold unit, but still have a better screen. What shocked me was the motion blur on the original GB models. I don't remember it being that bad, but playing on the old brick now is painful w/o mods. It's better on the GB Pocket, but the original model is hard to go back to when it's completely stock, because the motion blur is just so heavy.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »

Ah, I think I understand, FRO.  I feel the same way about the original GB.  Mine is pretty terrible, and while I didn't play much when I was a youngster, I don't remember the Tetris demo being that blurry.  I suspect my GB screen is getting a little long in the tooth though, so who knows.  I'm toying with getting one of the latest GBA IPS mods for my OG GBA (the SP just hurts my hands), but there are just too many things I want to get before that, like the Turbo16 Mini (maybe for Father's Day).

On another note, I jacked up my right hand playing GB games!  Okay, so technically I think I softened it up a bit playing through MM1 on Legacy Collection on the PC, and I cheesed a lot of the bosses with the Thunder Beam, but the last boss of the game I was playing (for GB) made things worse.  I know I am making it sound bad, but it's actually kind of funny, and I spent an hour in the Switch eShop looking at games I could play one handed (I picked up Yodanji and The Count Lucanor) all the while with a heating pad on my right hand, instead of you know, NOT PLAYING GAMES!

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length