RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Unlicensed category instead/next to Homebrew 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unlicensed category instead/next to Homebrew  (Read 11007 times)
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« on: October 17, 2021, 06:22:35 AM »

In the last decade we saw a rise of indie-developers and we see more new releases on old platforms.

Personally I think with the more professional attitude a category unlicensed would be welcome, as homebrew doesn't sound fitting for some of these project.

anybody else with opinions on these new releases.

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »

I like that better, yeah. Don't think I ever used the term "Homebrew" for anything other than my Wii and that's all digital-only.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 09:08:20 PM »

Unlicensed is a game that was released when the console was at retail but wasn't licensed by the company.  Homebrew is a game that was released, mostly likely at "Home", after the console left retail.  I think it should be left as is as this is a nice way of differentiating between the two.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
the_wizard_666
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:33:33 AM »

Unlicensed is a game that was released when the console was at retail but wasn't licensed by the company.  Homebrew is a game that was released, mostly likely at "Home", after the console left retail.  I think it should be left as is as this is a nice way of differentiating between the two.
But what about games like Jay & Silent Bob's Mall Brawl on the NES?  That saw a full on professional release by an actual company.  That's far from a homebrew.  And a ton of "in the day" Atari releases would fit as homebrews by definition.  Maybe there shouldn't be a distinction at all?
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »

For the Jay & Silent Bob example, I almost wonder if we need an "aftermarket" category, for professional releases done outside the general lifespan of a particular system, so that it can be distinct from homebrew, where someone makes a game and does a short run of copies.

Bear78
DB Contributor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »

Personally I like the unlicensed category.  Stuff like the old NES Wisdom Tree, Camerica, Tengen games would all fall under that IMO.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »

Release type really needs to be a filterable search option. It’s one people would probably be interested in using but at the moment it does nothing.

Currently unlicensed is just included in original release. I think if people could filter then people would be interested in unlicensed being separated from original release (licensed).

And I think people would then be interested in unlicensed being separate from homebrew
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length