|RFG ID #:
||Cartridge 4 KB
- 253 of 4639 collectors (5.4%) have this game in their collection
- 3 of 4639 collectors (0%) have this game in their wishlist.
- 3 of 4639 collectors (0%) have this game for sale or trade.
What's not to love here? You've got great graphics for an Atari 2600 game. Sound effects identical to the classic arcade cabinet, and fast-paced gameplay. This game made kids and parents alike go nuts during Christmas 1980 when it was released and rose Atari's popularity to enormous levels like no other game before it had.
One of the things I love most about this game is how the audio speeds up and adds a sense of urgency and oncoming doom. That urgency can make your heart pound in your chest if your totally focused and make lesser players panic. You have to give major credit to Rick Maurer who programmed this version for making Space Invaders look as good as it does for the hardware it's on. Shield damage, on-screen enemies, UFO's, background colours etc. make this a very visually busy game. The control is spot on and lighning responsive for a game of this type and has a nice pick up and playability that anyone can enjoy
This game is a perfect companion to movies such as War of the Worlds and Independance Day. A struggle to save Earth from hordes of alien invaders all alone in the night. This is one of the VCS 2600's best games and should grace every collectors library. It's also one of the best iconic representations of video games as a form of entertainment.
Manual Revision 3 - Front
Manual Revision 3 - Back
Manual Revision 4 - Front
Manual Revision 4 - Back
- Space Invaders was the first game to be licensed from one company to another, in this case from Taito to Atari.
- In an interview with Edge magazine in 2005 Toshihiro Nishikado who designed the game said he took inspiration for the invaders from the H.G. Wells novel "War of the Worlds"
- If you power on the VCS while holding down the reset switch, player 1 gets double bullets when you choose a single player game
- Programmed by Rick Maurer
||Corrected misc info
||Page design, HTML code.
||Misc, Part Number
|Keith B. (Tan):
||Review, Related games, Credits, Easter egg, Trivia, Screenshots
||Variation title, developer, cart size, variation tie-in
|Mike Fox (NES_Rules):
||Type of Release
Last Updated: 2014-08-12 20:22:05