RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:56:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Day After Tomorrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Day After Tomorrow  (Read 8544 times)
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« on: October 17, 2004, 08:38:12 PM »

I just saw The Day After Tomorrow yesterday. I thought it was great, although it could have focused more on other countries a little more instead of just the US.
What do you think about the movie? (if you saw it)
I seem to like movies that deal with apocalypse situtations or anything that cant be normally experienced.
Jurassic Park, The Core, Independence Day, Timeline, Mission to Mars, etc, etc. Please comment on any movies like this.

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 08:42:31 PM »

The Core kicked ass, I suggest  it to everyone.
I never saw Time Line but that looked wicked good.
Mission to Mars kicked some ass too.
Independance Day had Will Smith need i say more?
Most movies that could be put under the world destruction genre that i have heard of kick ass i think.

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 08:56:41 PM »

I never saw Timeline either but i read the book so thats even better.

add to the list Event Horizon, Sphere, Reign of Fire, The Time Machine, and Planet of The Apes (the new one)

(pretty much any movie that you would see something related to it on the discovery science channel, i would like it)

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 09:10:15 PM »

The only thing worse than The Day After Tomorrow was The Core.  Both of these movies had more plot holes than Swiss cheese, both were more predictable than a Julia Roberts movie, and both made me a lot stupider after having seen them.

The Core:  The Earth's inner core has stopped rotating for no reason and we have take a manned drilling pod to the center of the Earth to detonate nukes to make it start moving again?  WHAT?!!!??!!!?  The science in this movie is absolutely preposterous.  I'd be more likely to believe the story of Aliens vs. Predator.  Do you have ANY idea what kind of temperatures the Earth's core is estimated to be?  Any idea how much pressure is down there?  Any idea how much mass you would have to move (pretending the already stupid idea of the Earth's core stopping rotating at a random time for no reason made any sense in the first place)?  After seeing AvP, my head hurt from the horrible science and history they made up to justify the plot.  After seeing The Core, my head exploded.

The Day After Tomorrow wasn't as bad, but there were still a million plot holes.  LCD screens are the most obvious.  Sure, the temperatures are cold enough to instantly kill somebody who steps into them, but LIQUID crystal displays work just fine.  When they were in the library burning books.....  Why should I believe that if the temperatures are even half as low as what they described that three-inch wooden doors are going to stop it from getting in the room?  Why wouldn't the moving cold (I only say this ridiculous phrase because it was portrayed in the movie as such) move down the chimney and put out the fire if it was really so cold?  And how in the hell did they WALK from Philadelphia to New York in less than a day in such a nasty storm that supposedly kills everything so quickly?  There are a thousand more but my brain hurts from thinking about how stupid both of these movies are.

Independence Day sucked.  Will Smith.  Need I say more?

Jurassic Park was pretty good, but I don't know if it should really be in this genre.  The Lost World and Jurassic Park III were trash.

Sphere was good, but I also wouldn't put that in the same category as the others above.

Reign of Fire wasn't horrible, but it was below average.  The Time Machine was also below average and boring, but not horrible.  

The Planet of the Apes (new one) was pretty decent, but I can't say how it compares to the old one since I have not seen it.  It also doesn't fall in the same genre as Independence Day, Day After Tomorrow, The Core, etc.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 09:23:23 PM by admin » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 09:22:11 PM »

I felt sorry for myself after I saw The Day After Tomorrow.  

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 01:48:58 AM »

I felt sorry for myself after I saw the trailer for The Day After Tomorrow.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 07:33:16 AM »

So glad I didn't see this movie.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 05:41:09 PM »

90% of all the world blowing up/getting hit with large object/apocalyptic future/Aliens attacking Earth/Michael Moore movies suck. Why would I want to see what would happen to me if one of these horrific events occured? I think they should leave this kind of stuff to other planets where I don't live.

When shall his new form be revealed?
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 06:20:33 PM »

its Michael Crichton btw and his books are much better

i know the plot holes were bad, but i seems to have an immunity to them, after all, if they cant somehow use crackpot theories to save the world it wouldnt be much of a movie would it? thats what makes it entertaining.  if movies like this were completely accurate no one would watch them. whould you pay to see a movie thats 45 minutes long and has this really heroic guy get killed by a chunk of ice to the brain. then the credits play. sounds like crap to me. i understand where you are coming from, especially with the chimney thing, but its like an action movie where the two good guys get shot in the head by the 15 grunts, thats not entertaining, so it wont make money

about the movies not fitting in the genre, i tried to expand this topic to most of the sci-fi genre, not just the "nature goes haywire" genre

direct quotes from the next crackpot science movie:

In a hospital, Nep is on a bed
Doctor: "I'm afraid this man is suffering head pressure due to severe intake of crackpot physics and plot holes"
Scientist: "By god, what will we do?"
Accredited Scientist: "The only way we can save him is to shrink down small enough to fit into his blood vessels and trval to the brain. then we will have to use lasers to suffer his optic nerve, rendering him incapable of watching anymore bad movies"
Other Scientist: "But we dont have the technology! THeres no way we can do that!"
Accredited Scientist: I beleive I have a way. (explains, it *seems* to make sense)
Random Politician: "It will be too expensive, i don't approve"
Accredited scientist says something convincing and the US government(not the rest of the world, where in a movie where the whole world is at risk they SHOULD be counted too) sponsors the project
*Random peril takes place*
*Nep is now blind but his head is saved from complete destruction*
Everyone feels patriotic and celebrates.
The End, accompanied by nice orchesrtated music.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 07:12:21 PM by danvx6 » Logged

danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 06:22:03 PM »

should i bother addin "Lost In Space" to the list? it will just get loads of crap hurled at it.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 07:05:39 PM »

Sorry i just brought in a sack of crap to dump in the thread what other movies got added?
I might  need alot more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 07:05:54 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 08:11:33 AM »

I have a few questions about Armageddon.  there is an asteroid (commit, or what ever the fuck you want to call it its a big rock heading for earth).  
First off, why was it only the United States job to destroy it?
Secondly, why did they send Oil drillers to go to it instead of astronauts?
Thirdly, how did they manage to land on it while in space? I'm not an expert on this subject but I'm pretty sure that they don't have gravity on asteroids.
fourthly, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY HAVE A MACHIEN GUN ON THE FUCKING DRILL?!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 08:12:10 AM by freak_boy » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 11:45:02 AM »

1) because it is an American film.
2) because it is an American film.
3) it is an American film.
4) because it is an American film.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 12:11:29 PM »

Yeah, that pretty much covers it.  As for gravity on asteroids - yes, there is.  There's technically a force of gravity between you and your computer monitor.  It's just thankfully so small that you don't rocket towards it at 9.8 m/s^2.  The same would be the case on an asteroid.  It would have gravity, but not enough for you to waltz around on it.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 01:43:58 PM »

The Planet of the Apes (new one) was pretty decent, but I can't say how it compares to the old one since I have not seen it.

well what are you waiting for? and you call yourself a movie buff.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length