RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:33:51 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Board Game Night! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Board Game Night!  (Read 43178 times)
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »

Anyone ever play Laser Attack?  Came out in 1978 I think.  I just got back into it a year or two ago after digging it out of the closet and replacing the light bulb in the laser.

You can have as few as two players, but it's not really that fun (I'll get into that...).  Whether you have two to all four players, you put every single spaceship and spacepod piece on the board.  What you do is you go around collecting all pieces of your ship together.  The plastic pieces are monstrously cool!  Then you spin the enemy laser, and wherever its light lands on you move all pieces forward a notch.  The board is divided into several zones, the worst one is where you move forward but one spacepod on your ship is taken off and is moved back.  So that sucks, as you have to go back and get it, giving your opponents a chance to move quicker around the board. 

Also, there are commands at the end of each row; wherever the laser lands, you have to do what the command says, like if you move someone's ship one space.  For those that have said on here they don't like "stab your friend in the back"-type games, you might not like this one!  (Hence why you need at least three players; it's boring to move the other player's pieces every single time...) So I guess it's like Sorry! in a way.

After you get all your pieces together you go to the laser base and stick them in; whoever's pod the laser rests on if you've plugged that port up is the winner.

[img width=700 height=321]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/laserattackpieces.jpg[/img]

Pics can't really capture how cool these pieces look, really

[img width=647 height=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/laserattackboard.jpg[/img]

The board looks great too (cat not included)

[img width=551 height=470]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/laserattacklaser.jpg[/img]

The dreaded enemy laser (ok, so it's like a strobe light)

Also, it's cool to turn the lights down when you play this, due to the laser effect on the colorful pieces.

inRainbows
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »

Stopped at the Northgate mall outside of cincinnati yesterday. Interesting store in there called Sci Fi city, filled with tons of board games and geek stuff. pretty neat, because you rarely see stuff like that in a large commercial mall. At least i never have. I picked up, finally, catan. I have logged hundreds of hours on catan for xbox live, and now i finally have the real deal! although getting players will be a tough task :/ haha
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 08:06:23 AM »

Stopped at the Northgate mall outside of cincinnati yesterday. Interesting store in there called Sci Fi city, filled with tons of board games and geek stuff. pretty neat, because you rarely see stuff like that in a large commercial mall. At least i never have. I picked up, finally, catan. I have logged hundreds of hours on catan for xbox live, and now i finally have the real deal! although getting players will be a tough task :/ haha

There is a sci fi city in the Orlando area too.  I thought it was the only one.  Glad to see they are expanding.  Finding players is easy.  All of those places have open board game days/nights.  Just show up with a friend or two or by yourself and you will have a regular group in no time.

inRainbows
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »

There is a sci fi city in the Orlando area too.  I thought it was the only one.  Glad to see they are expanding.  Finding players is easy.  All of those places have open board game days/nights.  Just show up with a friend or two or by yourself and you will have a regular group in no time.

well unfortunately that sic fi city was 3 and half hours away from me. haha
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

Just donated to this KickStarter for a copy of the game once it is funded.  It's only been active 3 days and it's over a third of the way there.  Looks like it's going to be a great game.  Also picked up copies of "It From the Pit" and "Forbidden Bridge" this week to play with the kids:  http://www.kickstarter.co...egy-board-game?ref=search

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »

Hmm, you've stopped by there? Tongue

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »

Played the Resident Evil card game this weekend. Also, sounds like we're picking up 7 Wonders and Dominion some time soon.

Dominion is really good. optimum for groups of 3-4 players, but with expansions, we've played 7-8.

Actually sat down and played dominion all day yesterday, with a game of Catan to end the night

I have Dominion and all the expansions. Cool It's also a great 2-player game.

Just picked up all of the Dominion expansions except the newest one on cragislist.  Any tips or recommendations?

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »

A great party game is King of Tokyo (up to 6 can play).

Played King of Tokyo at my local shop's board game night last week and it was great!  It was very easy to learn and we had lots of fun with it.  The strategy really changes depending on how many players are left.  With lots of players, it doesn't make sense to stay in Tokyo for too long because you will just take damage but with just a few players, if you can hold out, you get the 2VP bonus for starting the turn in Tokyo.  VERY cool game!  We played a friend's copy but I would definitely pick it up if I could find it for a good price.

On a side note I finally broke down and ordered Eclipse.  It's a pretty strategy intense 4X game (imagine multiplayer Civilization in space).  I absolutely can't wait to play it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

I'm a big fan of kids board games, because well.......sometimes you just gotta drink with your friends and dumb it down completely.  I was in Toys R' Us the other day and noticed that they had a game there I have been trying to find for a long time.  Apparently, Loopin' Louie was recently rereleased.  If you don't have a copy, it's easily worth the $20.00.  Great game!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »

I'm a big fan of kids board games, because well.......sometimes you just gotta drink with your friends and dumb it down completely.  I was in Toys R' Us the other day and noticed that they had a game there I have been trying to find for a long time.  Apparently, Loopin' Louie was recently rereleased.  If you don't have a copy, it's easily worth the $20.00.  Great game!

I had that game as a kid.  So many hours of fun with that one!
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »

Just picked up Race for the Galaxy and the first expansion, The Gathering Storm.  Also backed Boss Monster on Kickstarter. 

Race for the Galaxy is  card game with mechanics similar to San Juan.  Very excited to play this one.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

Played some Survive! this weekend with friends.  I picked the game up at a thrift store a few months ago and this was my first time playing it.  Great game, I highly recommend picking one up.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »

Survive! is great!  I was honestly blown away.  Relatively simple, but LOTS of fun, also highly recommended!  What kind of deal did you get, Banana?  I think retail is around $40.

I got a few more board games for my birthday this week.  Agricola and Pandemic on the Brink.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a few play sessions in soon but this is my wife's crunch time with her shop so most of my free time is going to be helping her.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:25:57 PM by wildbil52 » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »

Survive! is great!  I was honestly blown away.  Relatively simple, but LOTS of fun, also highly recommended!  What kind of deal did you get, Banana?  I think retail is around $40.

I got a few more board games for my birthday this week.  Agricola and Pandemic on the Brink.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a few play sessions in soon but this is my wife's crunch time with her shop so most of my free time is going to be helping her.

I picked an original copy up at a thrift store for $2.26. Smiley  We've actually played it a few times, since that first night and it is a hit in this house.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »

Oooh, you lucky dog!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length