RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:02:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Silver Screen Classics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Silver Screen Classics  (Read 1331 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:45:26 AM »

Showcase Cinemas sucks a lot.  They show bad movies, charge $850 a ticket, and twice that for a bucket of popcorn.  I hate them nearly completely.  You'll be surprised, though, that they actually do one thing that is good: Silver Screen Classics.

In some states (apparently a total of 38 locations nationwide), Showcase Cinemas shows old movies once a month (sometimes less).  In Cincinnati, shows are on the first Thursday of each month at specific locations.  Norwood is one, which happens to be just down the street from me.  Anyway, here's the deal:  for $1, you get a ticket to see a silver screen era movie in a Showcase theater, plus you get a small soda and popcorn.  $1!!!!!

WMKV has been promoting this for ages but I never used to be able to go because the shows are at 1:00 in the afternoon, obviously geared towards seniors.  Still, since there is no age requirement on that ticket price, and since I now have that time open between classes, I will be going to these.  The next one here is on December 1st.  I can't wait.

Check this page to see if your state/city has any Silver Screen Classics showings:

http://www.national-amusements.com/silver.asp

Very, very cool if you ask me.  +1 to Showcase Cinemas.  Too bad they still have a -6,305,923,672 overall.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:33:54 AM »

I checked out the link and didn't recognize any of the movies. Are they actually good, or just the cheapest ones they could get?
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 06:42:29 AM »

the Westland MI location is one I've been to a number of times. I've heard of all the movies on the list, can't say there are any I'd want to see.

If they ever screened some John Wayne flicks, namely Rio Bravo, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Or if they moved up a couple decades and showed something like Planet of the Apes or Slap Shot. be kind of cool to see those on the big screen.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length