RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:59:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Game Rating Discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game Rating Discussion  (Read 1258 times)
Tan
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

It's been fixed.  Game variants should now display the same rating as other variants of the same game.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea if I'm interpreting this right. So a Collector's edition that has say an extra disc worth of content plus bonuses etc etc, or a revised edition of a game with added content, levels, characters, gameplay etc etc automatically gets the same rating as a regular version or vice versa?

Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition for example gets an extra 5% on my vote because it:

* Comes in a tin case with exterior artwork.
    * Includes an artbook of concept art as well as a fictional handbook called "Galactic Codex: Essentials" which functions as a reference for the various alien species.
    * Has a second DVD with gamerpics, dashboard themes, 10 songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack as well as documentaries.
    * Also includes a leaflet advertising Battlestar Galactica the TV series season 4.

So the regular version which I don't own and didn't rate gets bumped up in score even though it has none of those extras and would've gotten a lower score had I owned it? Doesn't seem right to me at all. Or am I interpreting this wrong?

If I am right in my assumption that this is how it works now, I can name you over a dozen variations just in my own collection that scored higher because of their differences that would make for misleading ratings on others. I could name you others in Greatest hits/Platinum hits form that would score higher because they are updated/patched versions which run better and play better than their original releases, those would also make for misleading ratings.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I treat every game as individual as far as ratings. If there are major differences I recognize and take them into account where applicable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:57:41 PM by TraderJake » Logged
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »

Well you have never been able to rate more than one version of a game, that's the way it has always been set up.  Since we will most likely be reworking the rating system in the near future, we can talk about wether or not to allow separate ratings on a per-variation basis.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »

Just to point out, there are many variants that are just different nationalities, ex. Canadian v. North American, so they wouldn't need different ratings. Although I agree with Tan on this as well, some Collector's editions are a little different, and do deserve different ratings. Hard call.

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »

It's been fixed.  Game variants should now display the same rating as other variants of the same game.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea if I'm interpreting this right. So a Collector's edition that has say an extra disc worth of content plus bonuses etc etc, or a revised edition of a game with added content, levels, characters, gameplay etc etc automatically gets the same rating as a regular version or vice versa?

Mass Effect Limited Collector's Edition for example gets an extra 5% on my vote because it:

* Comes in a tin case with exterior artwork.
    * Includes an artbook of concept art as well as a fictional handbook called "Galactic Codex: Essentials" which functions as a reference for the various alien species.
    * Has a second DVD with gamerpics, dashboard themes, 10 songs from the Mass Effect soundtrack as well as documentaries.
    * Also includes a leaflet advertising Battlestar Galactica the TV series season 4.

So the regular version which I don't own and didn't rate gets bumped up in score even though it has none of those extras and would've gotten a lower score had I owned it? Doesn't seem right to me at all. Or am I interpreting this wrong?

If I am right in my assumption that this is how it works now, I can name you over a dozen variations just in my own collection that scored higher because of their differences that would make for misleading ratings on others. I could name you others in Greatest hits/Platinum hits form that would score higher because they are updated/patched versions which run better and play better than their original releases, those would also make for misleading ratings.

Maybe I'm alone in this but I treat every game as individual as far as ratings. If there are major differences I recognize and take them into account where applicable.

A bit late for a response but I must say.  While I can see your point, perhaps you could see the alternative.  Should a game recieve a higher ranking based off the extra content it recieves over the regular edition?  Isnt the rating system to apply to the actual game content itself?  So, lets say you have to games.  Mark Ekko's Getting Up.  Horrible game I think we can all agree on.  Now, the special edition came with a bunch of interesting looking stuff but because it came in a metal tin it should somehow get a better score then the super low one any rational person would give it?  I'm of the mindset a good game will be rated good on it's merrits, not the extra content it may or may not come with.  Atleast, that's my personal take on it.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length