RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:45:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Knight Versus Samurai 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Knight Versus Samurai  (Read 1336 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: July 13, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »

Most of us have had a similar conversation over the years (I imagine): Who would win, the Knight or the Samurai?  Likely you have drawn your own conclusions as you either dredge up the past conversation or draw upon your own knowledge or prejudices.  Personally my own conversation happened many moons ago just at the end of the videogame Golden Age (the early nineties).  It was the my strong opinion of the strength of the Feudal Samurai (I was a bit of a Japanophile and had a huge crush on Kurosawa movies and Shogun Assassin) versus the comparable argument of a friend who believed in the skill and power of the Teutonic Knight (he was a renaissance nerd and loved DnD and Conan movies).  The argument from both of us was stupid and uneducated, though I do remember it still.

Fast forward to today, where through some random freak of chance I run across this essay regarding the Medieval Knight versus the Feudal Samurai.  What I found interesting (and what you may find as well, if you so inclined to read it) is that the author manages to look very closely at the subject and give a very educated (though neutral) answer to the question.  Being a big fan of martial arts (both with weapons and unarmed) I absolutely loved this essay.  Great stuff.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:39:22 PM »

It is always a silly argument, there are so many variables that it's really impossible to judge. Fun though.

When shall his new form be revealed?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »

I do think quite simply that the crushing brawny type of combat that occurred in the West (yeah yeah I know there's a majestic skill to it still) would outdo what the smaller framed Wapanese would be used to.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »

Neat.

Now that that's settled-- though not really-- it's time to focus on the most significant match-up of the modern age: Team Edward versus Team Jacob.

Place your bets, folks...
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 01:16:37 AM »

Neat.

Now that that's settled-- though not really-- it's time to focus on the most significant match-up of the modern age: Team Edward versus Team Jacob.

Place your bets, folks...

Yesyesyes, but what if Jacob is armed with a claidheamh mòr and Edward a nodachi...

- Han Solo
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 03:09:51 AM »

It's all about Team Edward

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:33:08 AM »

How about Knight vs Samurai vs Ninja vs A Broken Toaster?

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »

I know this might seem like a silly question but...

What kind of toaster.  Now I know that it's broken but does it have a a bagel button?  How far do you (or did you, since it's broken) have to turn the knob before the toast burns?  The Knight Vs. Samurai was one thing, but when you throw in a Ninja and and A Broken Toaster its on. 

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length