RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:25:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | New [Gaming] Laptop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New [Gaming] Laptop  (Read 1923 times)
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« on: March 04, 2009, 09:10:50 AM »

Hazah! I finally got my laptop. I kind-of needed one for school, but mainly I wanted one that could handle some games (as my desktop is getting old).
Got it from Staples for 999.99CAD plus 13% sales tax

Acer Aspire 8930-6058
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800
18.4" Widescreen
NVIDIA Geforce 9600M
4 Gig DDR3
320 Gig HDD
BluRay Drive
5 Speakers + Subwoofer

Only complaints so far, Vista (first time using it, my god, it really is bad), and the "CineDash" touchpad screws up sometimes.

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »

That seems like a nice configuration but an 18.4" laptop weighs a lot, are you going to take it to school every day?
Tan
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »

That seems like a nice configuration but an 18.4" laptop weighs a lot, are you going to take it to school every day?

If I'm not mistaken, it only weighs 9 pounds (4kg) or so. Sweet deal on it, that's nearly 50% off it's original MSRP!
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, it only weighs 9 pounds (4kg) or so.
That's still quite heavy if you have to carry it to school along with your schoolbooks and stuff. You also need a large bag, for a laptop of that size.

But for a laptop that has to sub as a (gaming) desktop, you've really got the best of both worlds. Smiley
Tan
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:00:23 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, it only weighs 9 pounds (4kg) or so.
That's still quite heavy if you have to carry it to school along with your schoolbooks and stuff. You also need a large bag, for a laptop of that size.

But for a laptop that has to sub as a (gaming) desktop, you've really got the best of both worlds. Smiley

Seriously, 9 pounds? 20 pounds of books and it's still only 30 pounds of stuff. Hell I bet frat boys walk a helluva lot further with a flat of beer than that. 30-40 pounds is nothing.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Seriously, 9 pounds? 20 pounds of books and it's still only 30 pounds of stuff. Hell I bet frat boys walk a helluva lot further with a flat of beer than that. 30-40 pounds is nothing.
Okay, you're the boss.
Tan
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:31:41 PM »

Okay, you're the boss.

You don't agree? I'd pity anyone who can't walk 5 miles comfortably with 30 pounds on their back. At that point, what does it matter if a laptop weighs 9 pounds or 5? It's not like your going to notice the difference between 26 pounds and 30 because you'd be a sad specimen of a human being if you struggle with a paltry load like that.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:56 PM »

Gratz on the new 'top. I need to get me one...just need to get me some money while I'm at it...

As far as the weight thing, 9 pounds isn't that much. Especially in a backpack or a shoulder satchel. Even carrying it, my arms are certainly not in any sort of shape; but I manage to regularly walk about three miles carrying a 30 count case of beer in each arm and don't suffer too badly.

When shall his new form be revealed?
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:50:37 PM »

Okay, you're the boss.

You don't agree? I'd pity anyone who can't walk 5 miles comfortably with 30 pounds on their back. At that point, what does it matter if a laptop weighs 9 pounds or 5? It's not like your going to notice the difference between 26 pounds and 30 because you'd be a sad specimen of a human being if you struggle with a paltry load like that.

Heh. I'd meet the normal definition of a wimp, but I can manage my staggering 30 - 60 lbs backpack every day. I carry all (usually) my books everywhere. Cuts going to my locker out. Tongue

PS: Just weighed my backpack: 30.2lbs, and I left a LOT of things at school. I think my record is 78 pounds. For comparison, I can't even bench 70, yet I manage.

ANNNNDDDD
Tongue

Nice lappy! It sounds AWESOME!! Cheesy

Tell me about your variants...
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:47:16 AM »

I have almost the exact same model, 8920G.  That doesn't look like too bad of a price for it.  Mine has a slightly better processor, but the next step down in video card (9500M).  It's a pretty solid laptop with a huge screen.  Blu-rays look awesome on it.  The thing is a monster though, I had trouble finding a laptop bag that would fit.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »

Heh. I'd meet the normal definition of a wimp, but I can manage my staggering 30 - 60 lbs backpack every day. I carry all (usually) my books everywhere. Cuts going to my locker out. Tongue

PS: Just weighed my backpack: 30.2lbs, and I left a LOT of things at school. I think my record is 78 pounds. For comparison, I can't even bench 70, yet I manage.

ANNNNDDDD
Tongue

Just so you know, that will cause a lot of back problems when you're older. I used to carry all my books to and around school, even for lessons I didn't have that day. My back is now curved and often hurts at the small when I bend over or even stand up from sitting down for a while. I had heard it causes problems when I was younger but I didn't care and now I feel that I should have.

On the weight argument, my current backpack was a comfortable weight until I put the 15.4" laptop and power supply in. It might not sound like much but it does make a big difference.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »

The thing is a monster though, I had trouble finding a laptop bag that would fit.
On the weight argument, my current backpack was a comfortable weight until I put the 15.4" laptop and power supply in. It might not sound like much but it does make a big difference.
Guess I'm not alone.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

ANNNNDDDD
Tongue

Just so you know, that will cause a lot of back problems when you're older. I used to carry all my books to and around school, even for lessons I didn't have that day. My back is now curved and often hurts at the small when I bend over or even stand up from sitting down for a while. I had heard it causes problems when I was younger but I didn't care and now I feel that I should have.

Pain isn't a problem, it build character. Tongue

Tell me about your variants...
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:29:05 PM »

I used to carry a ton of books around, so the laptop isn't all that bad. I think I'll rent a locker at school to save my back Tongue

I am having a hard time finding a bag/case. Every other day I have a friend/family member offer me an old bag/breif case, only for me to show them my laptop is a little to wide. The sales associate at Staples said they can order one in though. Guess I'm going to have to part with another 100-120 dollars Sad

For now I carry it around in my book bag with the corner sticking out, kind of odd looking, but you work with what you have.

I have almost the exact same model, 8920G.  That doesn't look like too bad of a price for it.  Mine has a slightly better processor, but the next step down in video card (9500M).  It's a pretty solid laptop with a huge screen.  Blu-rays look awesome on it.  The thing is a monster though, I had trouble finding a laptop bag that would fit.
Yeah, it was easy for me to find ones with decent processor power, but surprisingly difficult to find one with a decent gpu.

[img width=572 height=151]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/dotdarkcloud/dontforget.jpg[/img]

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length