RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:43:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 105094 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »

Just to step in... when we made the Release Types, we had strongly considered making Homebrew a Release Type. However, at the time, we didn't want to jump into the pool with it, since it can become a slippery slope with other Release Types like License, Unlicensed, Pirate... Keep that in mind, folks. Wink

Not that I entirely mind adding new Release Types, but keep in mind how controversial some of these monikers can be. As Nupoile mentioned, Homebrew is not entirely Homebrew, but it should indicate that the game was released AFTER the lifespan of the console.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

I agree that this is a slippery slope. There are commercially produced games outside of a consoles lifespan that wouldn't be considered homebrews (for example, Huge Insect from Sachen).

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 10:53:31 PM »

Don't get me started on Sachen, considering that they had a combination of pirate and legitimate games for Game Boy...

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:07 AM »

Uh, I'm just now contemplating the usefulness of a Breakout/Pong Genre. Why do we need this if Breakout and Pong games are all just Action games? Deletion worthy? I'm starting to think so.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:53 AM »

It was initially there because there were so many of them. (If everything from the 70s ever gets added i wouldn't be surprised if it was over 1k entries from then alone)
But if you are going to have a BreakOut/Pong genre you might as well have a Maze genre.

Just stick it as a sub genre Wink

If subgenres are standardized and searchable (at one point in time every single field on a game page was going to be searchable) then it doesn't hurt anything and helps maintain a more streamlined DB.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »

Ok making this another task.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »

Just went through part of the list, and realized that quite a few are not quite fleshed out yet...

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »

Need opinions- should World Class Track Meet be in Fitness or Sports? The Japanese variants are Fitness because it's obvious that was the main selling point. Were the others marketed solely for use with the Power Pad?
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 10:27:25 PM »

i would take fitness to mean the player gets real exercise out of playing the game, and sports are simulators where you play something without the physical exercise part. if it was meant to be played with the power pad and marketed as a way to get in shape or something along those lines then i would go with Fitness. anything else and i would say Sports.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »

I think that makes perfect sense, fitness to me means it was marketed directly as a means to stay in shape. While DDR and pretty much any Kinect title can wear me out, that wasn't there intention. ha ha

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »

Breakout/Pong has been sorted and is now empty. Fire when ready.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »

Removed. Let me know if it causes any issues on game submissions or anything else after it's been removed.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2014, 01:08:41 AM »

Made some important edits and corrections to the guide. Also very close to having Unique sorted completely.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »

Unique has been completely sorted. Removal is ready to go.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »

Removed as requested. Also, added Homebrew as a Release Type.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:17:25 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length