RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:41:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Console additions for Uplay and Battle.net 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Console additions for Uplay and Battle.net  (Read 7547 times)
futuramafreak
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

Hello, I would like to propose that we make dedicated console sections for Uplay and Battle.net.  I realize this is an ongoing and complicated discussion about the role of digital games and the increasing number of developer-specific PC marketplaces.

Points of interest:
  • Uplay makes sense to me because we already have Origin, but at the same time, Uplay is a service integrated into Ubisoft's games even on consoles with disc releases.
  • Battle.net is a service required by Blizzard games even when purchased on disc and listed in the IBM PC section, but it is also possible to buy games like Overwatch and World of Warcraft with no disc.  In this case, the games exist only on Battle.net.  So all the games in the IBM PC section would stay, but digital-only releases would need to be added by people who care about the distinction (like me).  This is essentially the same as those of us who own games like Half-Life 2 on disc, which require Steam.
  • Uplay has over 100 games, where Battle.net only has maybe 9 games + expansions and will grow larger in the future with more Activision titles.

I think in both cases, Steam and Origin set a precedent for how we should treat these platforms.  But I also know some people think the proliferation of digital marketplace "consoles" is a detriment.  All I ask is that a decision either way is considered.  Smiley
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Agreed with everything in your post and I'm for it. Don't think it would be detrimental at all in the long run. Digital titles can always have a better degree of separation from physical on the site in future site updates. Same goes for guides/mags when we get to that point.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length