RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | April 2021 Shmup Club - Vritra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: April 2021 Shmup Club - Vritra  (Read 5279 times)
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« on: March 23, 2021, 05:05:44 PM »

The seal that was placed by the gods has finally been broken.Out of the broken seal emerged the Evil Dragon Vritra, feared as the manifestation of the great evil that engulfs heaven and earth.

Vritra's return spawned evil creatures and cast a cloud of despair over the world, bringing it to the brink of total decay.
Sensing the aura of his arch-enemy Vritra, the Hero God Indra clutched the treasure Vajra and headed to Earth.

The countless wars of the gods that have been fought since ancient times is about the begin again.

Join the RF Generation Shmup Club in April 2021, as we take on Vritra Complete Edition for PC! Check out a trailer for the game here:

Participants:
MetalFRO
Addicted
BdotReality
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 05:36:38 PM by MetalFRO » Logged

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:00:30 PM »

Stage 4 on a single credit, with the B Type weapon set, mostly using the purple homing lasers. The multiplier maxes at 15x, so while the scoring in this game isn't latter day Cave or Takumi levels of insane, there's probably a fair bit of movement. I'm at 105 on the Steam leaderboard at stage 4, and the top score is nearly twice what I put up, so I think it will be interesting to see how we can work the score during the month.

Multiplier increases with very fast successive enemy destruction, but not by a lot. You have to use the special weapon to really ramp up the multiplier, which means you need to time your usage on big groups of enemies, or large enemies to really drive up the multiplier quickly. It goes down slowly over time, so it's a balancing act to keep it pretty high.

* Vritra B Type 01_small.png (336.79 KB, 765x432 - viewed 411 times.)

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »

I nearly got a 1CC on this last run! I lost too many lives leading up the final confrontation with Vritra, and couldn't quite clinch the victory. But I'm very close! I managed to get a multiplier rate of over 30, so my earlier assessment that it maxed out at x15 was incorrect. I wonder what the actual max multiplier is?

* Vritra B Type 02_small.png (274.94 KB, 770x455 - viewed 424 times.)

BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »

If it's not too late, I'll jump in on this play through as well!

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:36:03 PM »

If it's not too late, I'll jump in on this play through as well!

Welcome to the club! It's never too late, even if you just drop a score and some thoughts on the game at the end of the month. All participation is welcome, and appreciated.

BlurSTG
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:40:54 PM »

Since I got in on the Shmup Club so late into the month of April, I only had about 4 hours to spend with VRITRA. So I'll share some of my thoughts about the game.

First off, I greatly enjoyed the look and music of this game. It was not only very visually appealing to me and my chat who watched me stream the game, but we were all diggin the tunes as well. Especially stage 3's music, so funky! A lot of us felt a lot of Dragon Spirit vibes from the look, and it turns out that it had the same artist, so that was pretty cool to find out. Also I guess this game was based on a lot of Hindu folklore, as far as Indra and Vritra go, which I found to be pretty interesting to read about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vritra

Most of my time was spent with the Normal mode, which I was able to get a 1CC of and set a high score of 9,680,330.
I thought the enemy design and bosses were really cool, and the bosses were a fun challenge to fight against. And while a lot of the game wasn't too challenging on Normal mode, there were definitely some frustratingly difficult sections (lookin at you stage 4). Also stage 4 had my favorite boss, the Hornet/Killer Bee looking boss. Really enjoyed this fight and found it to be challenging yet fair and fun.
I definitely got a little bit of a Euroshmup vibe from this game, although I don't say that in a bad way. Being able to take 3 hits per life was especially useful considering how big Indra's hitbox is. I originally thought the boss of stage 5 had an unavoidable attack, where he rushes you and basically sits on top of you, but I found that a well placed Boost shot will get him off of you. I will post my 1CC link below where you can see this.
The weapon choices in the game were very hit or miss for me. From the Type A selections, I really only liked the blue "Gradius-like" weapon that gave you the 2 options. The others felt very lack-luster and only situationally useful. From Type B I preferred the Emerald weapon that shot the rings out, it worked fantastically for clearing the screen in front of you. I found towards the end of my play through that the purple Type B weapon also was very strong, wish I would have had more time to play with that one.

I did briefly try out the hardest difficulty, which is QUITE HARD lol. The amount of revenge bullets on screen along with normal bullets and the size of Indra's hitbox made it feel nigh impossible for me, I managed to make if through stage 1, but that was about it. I also briefly played around with both the Mugen and Setsuna modes, which also both had their own quirks and were fun in their own rights.

Overall I enjoyed the game, I don't know that I enjoyed it enough to come back to it though, at least not anytime soon. I have to say though, I was not a fan of the fact that you could only fight the true final boss by playing the hardest difficulties. It would have been great to allow you to fight it on lower difficulties if you made it there on 1 credit like other games have done. It did very much feel like a breath of fresh air though, and a nice break from the other shmups I've been playing. I wish I had more time to put into this one this month, but coming in halfway through the month and my busy schedule don't really allow for it. I only really started to grasp the scoring mechanics after MetalFRO came into my stream and taught me how it works. But I'm happy ending this on a 1CC and half decent score.

You can check out the VOD of my playthrough, as well as see me play other shmups live at https://www.twitch.tv/bdot_reality

And here is the highlight of my 1CC of VRITRA - https://youtu.be/iL9j3fHJuQQ

Looking forward to joining in on future Shmup Club Play Throughs!

I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ideal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I never die with regrets.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 09:01:33 AM »

Thanks for the detailed thoughts, this will be great for the podcast! Glad you enjoyed the game, and congrats on such a quick clear. I'm still working on mine, but I think I'm close.

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »

I finally managed to get my clear! I pulled it off while streaming last night, and captured the highlight from Twitch, so I could link it here:

Anyone have final thoughts on Vritra to close out the month?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length