RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 01:43:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | RFGeneration Archives | Weekly Poll 2/18/07 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Have you ever played a text game?
Yes, I love them!  Zork rules!   -5 (21.7%)
Yes, but I want some graphics.   -6 (26.1%)
Yes, and I hate them.   -2 (8.7%)
No, but I know what they are.   -9 (39.1%)
No, what are they?   -1 (4.3%)
Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Weekly Poll 2/18/07  (Read 4143 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 04:58:31 AM »

Yeah, I would describe them as text, as the main focus of the game is still left up to the players imagination, it's simply assisted slightly by graphics.

So we would also consider Snatcher and The Space Adventure on the Mega-CD also as text? (They are more graphic heavy than most so figured I should ask). If they are, I'm changing my vote up to I love them because these two games are THE games if you ask me.

TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:31:28 AM »

Hugo's House of Horrors is a game I played but that had graphics, but the input was text based.

i loved that game. i think i still have a floppy of it somewhere around. wouldnt these text games be just precursors to the rpgs that we have today? or just an adventure game?

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »

They are definitely the precursers to RPGs!

You always had to either get a certain item, or communicate in a certain way, etc. in order to advance in the game. RPGs today still require elements of these concepts.

Good call. 

Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »

I tried playing The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy text game but couldn't work out how to get out of the first room. It went something like

"You are in a room. There is a door to the north"

:Open door to North

"The door is locked"

:Look West

"A bulldozer has flattened your house with you in it. Start again?"
Took me AGES to figure it out. You have to snag your robe and assorted items first, use the hangover-depletion tablet in the robe, THEN try leaving. I got out of the house and the earth exploded. Sad

So... do Thy Dungeonman I, II and III count?
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »

I tried playing The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy text game but couldn't work out how to get out of the first room. It went something like

"You are in a room. There is a door to the north"

:Open door to North

"The door is locked"

:Look West

"A bulldozer has flattened your house with you in it. Start again?"
Took me AGES to figure it out. You have to snag your robe and assorted items first, use the hangover-depletion tablet in the robe, THEN try leaving. I got out of the house and the earth exploded. Sad

So... do Thy Dungeonman I, II and III count?

I couldn't tell ya.  I never heard of them games.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length