RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:13:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | DVD vs. Blu-ray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Poll
Question: Are you still watching DVDs or have you made the switch to Blu-ray? Or something in between?
I still watch DVDs and am going to do so as long as I can   -31 (67.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I'm thinking about switching to Blu-ray   -4 (8.7%)
I watch both DVDs and Blu-rays   -8 (17.4%)
I still watch DVDs but I only buy Blu-rays   -2 (4.3%)
I have already switched to Blu-ray completely   -1 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: DVD vs. Blu-ray  (Read 14320 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »

there's so much great stuff to be had real cheap. Especially anime and other cartoons.
Same here, dvd's are cheaper and fall in price faster than they used to. Anime's are still pretty expensive here though. Sad
totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »

DVD prices here are pretty strange at the moment. Two years back a brand new release would cost about £10, yet recently the prices have jumped to £15+ which is what they used to cost when DVD was a new format!

Personally I think the price hike is probably to get more people to buy BR. If there isn't much difference between the cost of a new chart DVD and the same film on BR, everyone will buy the BR... I know I would!

Thankfully older DVDs (as in more than a few months old) are cheaper than they have ever been and usually easy to find second-hand for next-to-nothing. Which is why I'm sticking with DVD for the time being.  I also watch a lot of lesser-known European and Asian films which are unlikely to see a BR release any time soon Sad
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:45:25 AM by totalgridlock » Logged

Looking for a good condition Commodore Plus/4.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »

Thankfully older DVDs (as in more than a few months old) are cheaper than they have ever been
I never buy new releases. Ever. Don't see the point of giving €19.99 for a dvd when I'm 100% certain I can get it for €6.99 a year later Wink
totalgridlock
Memorex VIS
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:08:42 AM »

Thankfully older DVDs (as in more than a few months old) are cheaper than they have ever been
I never buy new releases. Ever. Don't see the point of giving €19.99 for a dvd when I'm 100% certain I can get it for €6.99 a year later Wink

I very rarely buy brand new releases either. But sometimes there's a film that I just *have* to have. Same with games. I can be quite impatient sometimes Tongue

Looking for a good condition Commodore Plus/4.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

Until I get a 1080p TV (which probably won't be for a lonnnnnnng time since mine is 720p/1080i), I have no use for Blu-Ray. And by the time I'm ready for a 1080p TV, there will likely be something else that's taken over or competing with Blu-Ray...something that would provide a "download & keep" service.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »

Until I get a 1080p TV.
I'm going to try to get a 32" 1080p TV by this time next year. (Should be doable) I can't wait!
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 12:36:41 AM »

Until I get a 1080p TV.
I'm going to try to get a 32" 1080p TV by this time next year. (Should be doable) I can't wait!
Awesome! Hope you save up for a PS3 or a 360 in the meantime.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »

Until I get a 1080p TV.
Awesome! Hope you save up for a PS3 or a 360 in the meantime.
The PS3 or 360 are supposed to follow after I get the TV. I'll get them both eventually but hopefully (by this time next year) they'll have had another price drop nod

I'm also going to buy a new dvd player with HDMI output for 1080p upscaling. Shouldn't cost more than €100.

I'm eyeing a Sony TV (this one) right now.
I like the fact it has a lot of connection possibilities (important for hooking up as many consoles as possible Wink)

It has:

• 3x HDMI
  • 2x SCART (RGB)
  • 1x component
  • 1x composite
  • USB 2.0
  • VGA
  • Digital Out
  • RF (obviously)

That's already alot of connectors. Only thing it doesn't have is S-video. Doesn't matter that much because the S-video and composite usually are the same connector so you can only use one or the other.

Anyway, who knows what new TV's might be out a year from now Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

^Did you ever get the TV? Planning on getting one soon?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »

^Did you ever get the TV? Planning on getting one soon?
As I said in the post above I will be getting one "this time next year" so in other words around july-august '09. Wink

But yes, I'm still very much planning on getting such a TV. In fact, I was at the mall today and saw some Full-HD 32" TV's priced around €750-850.

I think that's a great price, and by august '09 they'll probably be dropped another €100-150 so I'll "only" have to spend like €600-700 which is awesome for such a TV. Cheesy
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »

Debating the switch to bluray. It is still to expensive though and then i have to figure out if i want to repurchase movies or just hold onto all the DVDs and only buy new bluray movies i don't already own on DVD.

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »

Debating the switch to bluray. It is still to expensive though and then i have to figure out if i want to repurchase movies or just hold onto all the DVDs and only buy new bluray movies i don't already own on DVD.
What I would do is just keep your current DVDs and buy mostly Blu-ray movies from here on out. That's what I've been doing. Just be sure to get a Blu-ray player that does a great job at upscaling. I'm not saying this because I'm a "fanboy", but the PS3 is still the best Blu-ray player out there because it supports all the features and has an ethernet port for easy firmware updating and BD Live connectivity. Not to mention the awesome game lineup. Cheesy

If you want to know how a certain title is on Blu-ray, check out High-Def Digest's Blu-ray reviews: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:26:45 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

I was wondering: is it worth spending €100-150 on a DVD player with a HDMI output (besides the usual composite/S-video/component) or is the difference between a regular DVD and an "upscaled one" minimal? It would be used on a 1080p TV.

I'm considering to buy one after I get the TV, since I don't have a standalone DVD player myself.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »

^PS3

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 12:46:46 PM »

I was wondering: is it worth spending €100-150 on a DVD player with a HDMI output (besides the usual composite/S-video/component) or is the difference between a regular DVD and an "upscaled one" minimal? It would be used on a 1080p TV.

I'm considering to buy one after I get the TV, since I don't have a standalone DVD player myself.
It's a HUUUUUUUUGE difference. If you can't afford or don't feel the need for Blu-ray, that's your next best option.

Follow me on Twitter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length