RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 01:27:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015  (Read 31698 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2015, 10:33:02 AM »

Also, just wanted to mention that there are special weapons you will find in this game. If you have these equipped on a melee guy, be sure to try and "use" them as some have magical powers. When you attack with the magic on these weapons you have to "use" the weapon against an an enemy there will be nothing under the "magic" option.

Good advice, I forgot about this until very recently.  You can also 'use' the rings to grant temporary stat bonuses to your characters.

As a warning, if you 'use' a piece of equipment and it says that the equipment has started smoking, then don't use it again or it will permanently consume that piece of equipment.  I learned this the hard way with my Heat Axe.  Sad

Could you not have it repaired?  I know there is an option for this in the shops.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »

Also, just wanted to mention that there are special weapons you will find in this game. If you have these equipped on a melee guy, be sure to try and "use" them as some have magical powers. When you attack with the magic on these weapons you have to "use" the weapon against an an enemy there will be nothing under the "magic" option.

Good advice, I forgot about this until very recently.  You can also 'use' the rings to grant temporary stat bonuses to your characters.

As a warning, if you 'use' a piece of equipment and it says that the equipment has started smoking, then don't use it again or it will permanently consume that piece of equipment.  I learned this the hard way with my Heat Axe.  Sad

Could you not have it repaired?  I know there is an option for this in the shops.

I don't think so.  It's completely gone from my inventory.

On the bright side, I lost it during the last battle in Chapter 6, and the weapon shop in the town you start at in Chapter 7 has a good alternative to the Heat Axe, so no big deal.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 11:33:59 AM »

Good advice, I forgot about this until very recently.  You can also 'use' the rings to grant temporary stat bonuses to your characters.

As a warning, if you 'use' a piece of equipment and it says that the equipment has started smoking, then don't use it again or it will permanently consume that piece of equipment.  I learned this the hard way with my Heat Axe.  Sad

Could you not have it repaired?  I know there is an option for this in the shops.

I don't think so.  It's completely gone from my inventory.

On the bright side, I lost it during the last battle in Chapter 6, and the weapon shop in the town you start at in Chapter 7 has a good alternative to the Heat Axe, so no big deal.

Hmmm. I know there is a repair option. Maybe the equipment has to be smoking before you repair it. Go to the weapon's shop and give it a try.

Along this line I should also say that when you finish one battle and have the opportunity to return to town and "heal up," be sure to go back to the weapon's shop and check for deals. I found that where there once was a deal or just a single deal, this changes as you progress through battles. Here is an especially good HINT if anyone is interested:

Spoiler (hover to show)

BTW, my next battle is with Darksol. My guess is that I'm almost done. Cheesy

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »

Well, I finished the game last night and I have to say that this has been one of my favorite playthroughs since I have been doing them. Hoping that everyone is progressing well and able to carve out some time for all 30 battles. Checkpoint #3 is going up. Good luck!

Here are some pics of my endgame. Warning, be advised that one of the pics is a spoiler.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »

Hey guys, I had some computer technical difficulties so I haven't been able to get started until now. Just wanted to let you all know I'm still doing the playthrough. Just getting a late start. I'm starting the game today. Can't wait to see what this game is all about.

There is no Spoon - Neo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »

Hey guys, I had some computer technical difficulties so I haven't been able to get started until now. Just wanted to let you all know I'm still doing the playthrough. Just getting a late start. I'm starting the game today. Can't wait to see what this game is all about.

Very cool. Please chime in with your thoughts from time to time as you play, and please let us know if you have any questions or get stuck. Smiley

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2015, 03:00:04 PM »

I'm pretty close to the end of the game, only 2 or 3 battles left to go.  At one point I was tearing through the enemy forces, working like a well-oiled machine, then around Chapter 7 or so, it seemed like the evasion rate of the enemies skyrocketed.  Very frustrating.

I've had to tinker with my party a bit.  I tried working with a few characters that I read were really good, but I just wasn't seeing it.  I think I'm settled on my endgame party now.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »

Ugh..... Yeah evasion in this game really sucks at times and can cause you to loose toons. Pretty sure I whiffed on a blue dragon 8 times on a row.... Good thing magic can't be dodged.

Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:25 PM »

OMG!!! You guys are gonna laugh at me....lol....Get this...I am playing the game with absolutely no walkthrough and I haven't even read an instruction manual or equivalent...lol....So I'm pretty much just figuring out how the game works as I go. Well....I do have to say I am really enjoying what I've played so far...but get this...lol...Ok...I made it to the first MAJOR fight...not the very first fight in the game but the one after...I would give more detail but I don't want to spoil anything...but the first major fight ok...lol....Well...the first go round I ALMOST got through it but my main character was slain so I had to start the battle over....well.....I go at it again head strong determined this time...well...about three quarters through the fight this time Tao was out of MP so in an attempt to see if any of the items at the store recovered MP I tried out the ol' trusty dusty angel feather not knowing what that items purpose was....lol....needless to say I was warped back to the chapel lol...losing allll my hard earned progress through the fight the second go round....And I was doing pretty good on the second go round...I'm pretty sure I could have beaten it that time....But...Hey, I learned what the angel feathers do...so...no big deal....

Well, I go out for the third go round this time NOTHING ON GODS GREEN EARTH is going to stop me this time...And Im knocking em' dead left and right...make it to the last 2 rune knights....cocky....victory is finally going to be mine after at least 2 good hours of fighting I can see the light at the end of the tunnel....when I remember....hey...the main character had some type of magic spell....egress or something like that...the icon seems like some kind of jump attack..Might take them out in one hit you never no.....why not try to end this battle with a little style....a little flair....show these rune knights THE SHINING FORCE has some cojones...So I select the spell and with a evil grin I almost say take THAT YOU RUNE SUCKING DARK WORLD PUNKS!!!!!!........but.......wait a minute.....no......noooo....I hold my head in a sigh almost laughing at my own failure.....NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I had warped myself BACK TO THE CHAPEL AGIAN!!!!! I couldn't believe it.....irritating to say the least...but even I have to admit that its kind of funny....So now I have to go back and do the same battle again....for the fourth time....lol....hey...you live you learn....lmao

I do want to say....despite my failure to complete this battle lol....The game is really cool so far...I'm really digging the music....awesome soundtrack so far....Good graphics for the time period...REALLY pretty game for the time period...And I can kind of see what direction the story is going up to this point and I'm really diggin' the game so far...I can see me liking this game a good deal if I can ever make it past THIS 1 BATTLE!!!!! lol.....good game choice though...Having never played it before I'm glad I didn't go my whole life without checking this game out....I can tell it's going to be a good game....seems challenging and I like that in a game....can't wait to feed in some more....butttt......hopefully theres no other way to magically warp back to the chapel I don't know about...cuz if there is....believe me .....I'll find it lmao....later guys....always a blast....Just had to share my monstrous failures with you guys....its funny to me....thought you guys would get a kick out of it....cya

I'm pretty close to the end of the game, only 2 or 3 battles left to go.  At one point I was tearing through the enemy forces, working like a well-oiled machine, then around Chapter 7 or so, it seemed like the evasion rate of the enemies skyrocketed.  Very frustrating.

I've had to tinker with my party a bit.  I tried working with a few characters that I read were really good, but I just wasn't seeing it.  I think I'm settled on my endgame party now.

Good luck Steven...I know you got this man...

Very cool. Please chime in with your thoughts from time to time as you play, and please let us know if you have any questions or get stuck. Smiley

Thanks Banana. appreciate the hospitality.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:55:29 PM by Neo » Logged

There is no Spoon - Neo
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »

rofl  Haha, I almost did the same thing with the Angel Wing.  I thought maybe it would resurrect one of my units sort of like a Phoenix Down in Final Fantasy, but at the last second I decided I should just look online to see what it does.

On the bright side, at least you're gaining lots of experience and levels.  Escaping from the battles and replaying them is pretty much the only way to level grind in this game.  I'm pretty sure Egress and Angel Wings are the only ways to escape from battles, but if there is another, I'm sure you'll find it....

Just imagine guys, I have to play co-op games with this guy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:42:47 AM by Disposed Hero » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 12:11:06 AM »

Oh, and I know you said you aren't using a walkthrough, but be careful not to miss out on recruiting any of the good optional characters.

Spoiler (hover to show)

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2015, 06:03:12 AM »

Neo -  rofl

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2015, 06:51:13 AM »

Great story Neo, as I can easily see any of those things happening. Ha!

There is a 3rd way to escape battles, and that is by walking out of the screen where you entered the battle with your Hero.

Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 03:53:01 PM »

On the bright side, at least you're gaining lots of experience and levels.  Escaping from the battles and replaying them is pretty much the only way to level grind in this game.  I'm pretty sure Egress and Angel Wings are the only ways to escape from battles, but if there is another, I'm sure you'll find it....

Yeah. I was kind of looking at it like that too. AT LEAST I'm keeping the experience. THANK GOD! lol...I'd really probably be upset if I wasn't lol....

Just imagine guys, I have to play co-op games with this guy.

Just what is that suppose to mean!? lol...

Oh, and I know you said you aren't using a walkthrough, but be careful not to miss out on recruiting any of the good optional characters.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Yeah. I'm trying not to miss out on stuff. I just hate using walkthroughs. I like to try and figure stuff out myself. Walkthroughs spoil too much for me. I hate knowing whats going to happen before it does. Don't get me wrong though. If I get stuck bad enough I'm not too proud to check the cheat sheets...but I tend to try to save that for an absolute last resort.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:55:41 PM by Neo » Logged

There is no Spoon - Neo
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »

There is a 3rd way to escape battles, and that is by walking out of the screen where you entered the battle with your Hero.

Well, I just found a 4th way to escape battles, by using the Speed Ring.  Apparently using it casts Egress instead of granting a bonus to your Speed like I thought it would.

Unfortunately I was at the end of the final battle when I discovered this....

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length