RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:58:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Foreign Films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Foreign Films  (Read 3474 times)
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« on: January 27, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »

Do you have any recommendations for a good foreign film(non-American made)? I'm in the mood to watch a good foreign film, but I don't what. Please list some foreign movies that you enjoyed.

Here is my list...

Oldboy
3-Iron
Kung Fu Hustle
House of Flying Daggers
Shaolin Soccer
In The Mood For Love
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Trainspotting
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
This Is England
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:08:21 AM »

I've seen these that I can think of right now...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
L'Ours
L'Auberge espagnole
Les poupées russes
My Sassy Girl (2001 film)
Zatōichi
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:23:44 AM »

Lots of the old Hong Kong John Woo movies are great. The Killer, Hard Boiled, stuff like that.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »

Brotherhood of the Wolf was pretty good.

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »

I did not get the appeal to that ^ movie at all.

When shall his new form be revealed?
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »

2LDK
Battle Royale 1 and 2
Ichi The Killer
Uzumaki
Suicide Club
Seven Samurai
Any Zatoichi movie
Sukiyaki Western Django
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:25:08 PM by hXd » Logged

UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:27 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations. I watched trailers for them on youtube and I plan on watching some of them soon.

@Sirgin
I have seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and it was good. If you liked it you may like House of Flying Daggers.
L'Ours looks like a good family movie.
L'Auberge espagnole and Les poupées russes look funny. I will watch them with my wife, as soon as I find them.
My Sassy Girl (2001 film) This movie looks hilarious. I will have to find a copy this movie. I see they remade an american version of this movie in 2008, but it dosen't look as funny.
Zatōichi looks awesome.

@Leon
The Killer, Hard Boiled, etc. look good for when I want to see good old early 90's style action movie.

@ hXd
Uzumaki, 2LDK, Battle Royale, Ichi The Killer, Suicide Club are not really my type of movies, but if I'm ever in the mood for that type of movie I will keep your recommendations in mind.
I have seen most of Seven Samurai, but i have never watched it from beginning to end yet.
Zatoichi(2003) looks awesome and Zatoichi(1962) not so much.
Sukiyaki Western Django looks amazing, I just watched the apple trailer and I must watch this movie as soon as possible. This movie is on top of my list of movies to watch. I also see you got your avatar from this movie, very nice.

@ Rajaat the Warbringer
I really enjoyed Brotherhood of the Wolf as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 09:49:25 PM by UNFORGIVINGPAIN » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »

@UNFORGIVINGPAIN:

Red Sorghum is another good movie, from the same director of House of the Flying Daggers. It's not a family film though because it would be perceived as very boring by children due to the slow pace, I think. There's also some violence at the end. Highly recommended.

And another one: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain. Another great (and strange) movie but there might be some scenes unappropriate for children. A french movie.

De Zaak Alzheimer and Loft are two Dutch thrillers made in Belgium by the same director. They've both been very succesful (in Belgium) but I'm not sure whether there are English subtitles for them.

----

Be sure to watch L'auberge Espagnole before Les Poupées Russes because they're part of the same story (and share the same main character).

Yeah, be sure to watch the 2001 (Korean) My Sassy Girl. I just watched a trailer of the American version and already it looked less fun. Asians have a bit of a weird humor (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) and you can't just have an American say the same joke and expect it to be still funny.
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »

@Sirgin

L'Ours is the only movie here I would watch with my kids. I watch most movies after the kids are in bed for the night.
Red Sorghum looks good.
Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain looks very strange and interesting, which is my kind of movie.
De Zaak Alzheimer and Loft both look good. Hopefully I can find copies with English subtitles.

----

I will be sure to watch L'auberge Espagnole before Les Poupées Russes.

I enjoy watching foreign films because they are very different from most movies made in America. I seem to enjoy more Asian movies than other foreign movies. Movies remade in America are never as good as the originals and it shows how unoriginal and non creative most Hollywood made movies are.

----

Has anyone here watched The Diving Bell and the Butterfly? It looks sad and interesting. I wanted to know if it was worth watching.

JCVD also looks entertaining.
Kimoosabi
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »

Versus and Azumi I both highly recommend. Both from Japan from director Ryuhei Kitamura. Versus is a very over the top film involving.. well.. it's hard to summarize; basically: yakuza, zombies, some pretty cool martial arts, and lots of over the top gore. I am usually not a fan of gratuitous blood and gore at all, but Versus handles it in a mostly comedic fashion, very slapsticky, so it didn't bother me.

Azumi is a much more serious film, much more toned down in turns of the violence level, and very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:31:50 AM by Kimoosabi » Logged
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations Kimoosabi. I watched the trailers. Azumi looks good I will have to find a copy. Versus would be lower on my list of movies to watch, but I will still look for it.
Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »

Some of my all-time favorite foreign films:

Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu...watch in that order) directed by Satyajit Ray (India)

Life is Beautiful directed by Roberto Benigni (Italy)

The Tin Drum directed by Volker Schlondorff (Germany)

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »

This is one of my personal favorites...
Fille sur le pont, La (Girl on the Bridge). Excellent movie! Very stylish B&W.

And I concur with Amelie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)...that's a MUST SEE!

Human Traffic and Jump Tomorrow are fun and quirky films.

Also try out Dirty Pretty Things if you'd like an intereting drama.

Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters) is an Asian thriller.

If you're into suspense/horror, definitely Ringu (the better, original version of The Ring).

And the original La Femme Nikita if you're up for an action flick.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:37:24 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »

Pan's Labyrinth- my favorite movie of all time
Lady Vengeance- 3rd part of the vengeance trilogy (oldboy being the 2nd)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance- first part of the vengeance trilogy
Run Lola Run- Movie that depicts 20 minutes that Lola takes to get money to her boyfriend three different times with different stuff happening
Infernal Affairs- The original The Departed
The Devil's Backbone- Ghost movie in the sense that Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy movie.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »

Man Bites Dog - There is a thread here on RFG about it somewhere. Amazing movie.

Found it

http://www.rfgeneration.c...um/index.php?topic=1853.0

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length