RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:09:57 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Does Your Ideal Game Market/Auction Site Exist? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does Your Ideal Game Market/Auction Site Exist?  (Read 1226 times)
aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm trying to get a feeling for how satisfied people are with buying and selling games online. I haven't found an ideal site myself. I have lots of duplicates, and I would love to have somewhere to post them, but I don't feel any one site is worth supporting. Helpful features are scattered across many sites, but none of them has adopted all the best features. I made a site of my own around four years ago, but never really pushed to market it as I felt it was still missing the mark. I'm considering making a new one, but I wanted to see how many people feel the same way first.

So, does your ideal site exist? If so, what is it? What features are the most important to you and are there any features that you wish they would adopt but haven't?

Personally, I can't stand fee systems like what eBay and Amazon use. I love how Amazon can potentially have a product page for each game. I don't care for credit systems, where you earn points or credits by selling games and buy games with credits and where games have fixed prices. I would rather buy and sell in bitcoin or cash instead.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »

Personally, I liked the look of your site aeroc, and the information contained exactly what I wanted to know. Wink

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:49 PM »

I'd say no, because I don't regularly use any of them. I would find Game Gavel more useful if there was a mobile app with alerts. I hate the fees on eBay and Amazon, so I just don't sell there. Heck, I even have a free GameGavel selling account for being around so long, but I don't use it. Game Gavel needs more traffic, and an app with alerts would help. Something like that would work for me.

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »

The closest thing I've found was estarland.com

They seem to have the best trade in credits around, online at least. Free shipping on used orders over $20. Prices are competitive if nothing else.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »

The only things that are important to me when selling is being able to hit a large audience and have relatively low fees.

When buying it's good selection and reasonable shipping to Canada.

EDIT: After reading Shadow's post it reminded me that I need pictures as well. I've taken chances on items without pics and it turned out ok, but I'll typically only do that if the thing is very cheap.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:15:32 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:55:40 PM »

I'm very detail oriented when it comes to my purchases. I'd like to enforce pictures of the actual product - front, back, contents, open box, front/back of media (top/bottom if optical). I use auction sites for reference for the site more than I use for my own, but I stopped using auction sites because of how much I've been burned by the small amount of things I've purchased. 6 of my last 10 purchases I had to send back for refunds because they either sent the wrong item, or it wasn't in the condition I expected/wanted. I'll spend an extra 20% if I know exactly what I'm getting.

aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »

I'm very detail oriented when it comes to my purchases. I'd like to enforce pictures of the actual product - front, back, contents, open box, front/back of media (top/bottom if optical). I use auction sites for reference for the site more than I use for my own, but I stopped using auction sites because of how much I've been burned by the small amount of things I've purchased. 6 of my last 10 purchases I had to send back for refunds because they either sent the wrong item, or it wasn't in the condition I expected/wanted. I'll spend an extra 20% if I know exactly what I'm getting.

I wonder how hard it would be to have a mechanism that promotes picture taking as you described, or incentives to describe items more diligently. In the past I thought about having a series of simple Yes/No questions related to each system category that would determine a numeric grade. For example, if you wanted to list a NES game, there might be questions related directly to the condition of the cartridge's label. The challenge would be to come up with questions that aren't ambiguous and that are still useful, that could be answered quickly, and then weighing their importance in the product's grade.

I would prefer to avoid shipping all together and buy locally, I'd just like to have a site where I could see exactly what my local community had to offer rather than having to browse through an endless stream of disorganized or non-standardized classified ads. Thanks for the feedback. =)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length