RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:45:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | How about adding a database for strategy guides already?! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How about adding a database for strategy guides already?!  (Read 1932 times)
Xizer
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »

So... it's been two years since I originally posted a topic about this. Come on.

I've had to resort to doing this, which does not work very well:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...;folder=Strategy%20Guides

I'm sure there are tons of members here with bookshelves that look like this:
[img width=450 height=600]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8048/guidespz8.jpg[/img]

If you guys added a database for strategy guides I would gladly help to expand it and add entries.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:11:29 AM by Xizer » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »

Maybe it didn't got implemented back then because it would be too hard to do right or because there might be legal issues. I'm sure there was a valid reason why your idea didn't made it Wink

So... it's been two years since I originally posted a topic about this. Come on.
You're not being very friendly asking like this...
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »

See. There are only 2 programmers for this site. I happen to be the PHP programmer. Eddie happens to be Perl Programmer. For any new database to work, the two of us have to work in conjunction to make it work on the programming end, and that takes an awful lot of time and effort. I can't just snap my fingers and "POOF!" - there is a new strategy guide database. But time and effort could make it work on the programming end, but programming is only half the story.

Everybody requests "Database X", but very little people offer insight as to how "Database X" should be implemented. Do you have any idea how many iterations the games and hardware database have gone through? I think we're up to 5, and it's very likely there will be more iterations in the future. We launched a new database 2 years ago after people made similar requests for it, and you might know it as the hardware database. I might have learned PHP to be able to program the hardware database in addition to the submissions system that you know today. Very little thought really went into the hardware database, hence, it looks an awful lot like the games database, which while it isn't bad isn't exactly the worst thing in the world. It could have been done better. I wish it was done better, as perhaps it would have kept me from coding 4 submissions system rewrites myself.

The truth is, perhaps we would like to add "Database X"... someday. That said, we really want to be certain that we have the best damn architecture for "Database X" possible so that "Database X" is designed properly the first time. The era of "POOF! New database is over." In its wake, is the new policy of strengthening the databases that we already have. Convince me that you can make the hardware database awesome. Convince me that you know the right way to do "Database X". Convince Eddie and myself that it is a good idea for us to implement said architecture. Convince me that there is a dedicated contingent to make "Database X" succeed. So far, no one has really taken those steps, but when some group does, then perhaps we'll move forward.

Just because we're not necessarily coding "Database X" right now does not mean that we are not adding new stuff to the site. RF Generation is constantly evolving. It might seem as though at times it is evolving slowly, but there are new things always on the horizon. Just remember that the staff of RF Generation run this site in their free time, and real life overrides this site at any time. I just moved to Maryland. I'm getting settled still, but I am still finding time to work on "Project X" while at the same time getting settled, making friends, and maintaining a full time job. Eddie is in a similar boat with "Project Y". After "Project X" is finished, the not so pertinent to regular members "Project Z" will begin. Things are always cooking at RF Generation, and while it may not be exactly what you want, keep in mind that some day, it just might.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:09:07 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Tan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »

Are there any plans to implement the ability to add strategy guides and magazines to our collection? There's dozens of sites out there offering collection capabilities like IGN, GameSpot, 1UP, PlayStation.com, et cetera, but this is something that could really help set RF Generation apart.

I think it would be a great idea to have a second collection: A game collection, and a strategy guide/magazine collection. I would be willing to help contribute info on mags/strat guides as well.

If you really need something to organize your strategy guides badly, try Goodreads, or join the RFGen book club at shefari. Both sites have several RFG members who track their guides among other gaming books.

http://www.goodreads.com/.../861256?shelf=strat-guide

There is another thread about magazines as well in this same subforum. If you really want this then the work needs to begin and it needs to be taken seriously as it affects staff and members alike.

Adding the guides and magazines to the database is the easy part, anyone can do that. Are you willing to begin the discussions on the scope of the project and it's finer details? I'm a staff member here as well as a GoodReads Librarian. I know books. I also wrote many of the guidelines we use on this site for our existing databases. But if I'm to spend my RFG time working on a possible project for the distant future, it will be on a team effort. The staff aren't slaves nor the members mindless sheep. Both come together for every project to offer input, suggestions and to discuss issues diplomatically so in the end we build the best project with everyone's best interests at heart. I'm willing to jump into this as long as a half dozen or more people get onboard with this idea to bounce ideas and debate with. That doesn't mean it'll happen overnight, or even in 2008, but if the effort and time is made it will be done eventually and it will be done right.

Here's a few things from the database perspective:

- how it would show up in one's collection
- search page variables
- how each different database script would work and how everything is classified
- what info per page (isbn, upc, year, region, sub region, contents
- images for covers, inserts and discs
- guidelines so staff can approve these properly and members submit them properly as well
- variations such as alternate covers, 2nd, 3rd, etc printings, direct editions versus news stand editions
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »

As Dave and Keith have said, we'd like to be able to expand to magazines and/or strategy guides in the future, but there's a lot that needs to be done before we can just "make it happen".

First of all, you have to remember that this site is free and the members and staff are running this out of their own free time and out of our own pocketbooks.  We accept all suggestions, but adding a new database is a monumental task and all the pieces have to be in place before we can start.

The staff have discussed this idea before and there are other projects we'd like to get done before we go adding more databases.  The hardware db was an experimental project and we're still waiting for that database to fully mature itself.  With each new db we add, we also have to ensure that we will have enough community interest and staff to support it.  Adding features that 3 or 4 members will use is not what we want to do.  We want to add features that will benefit everyone.  It will probably happen at some point, but I can't put a timetable on it.  It all depends on the available time of the programmers, gaining enough interest in the community, and gaining the staff to support it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:06:25 PM by St0rmTK421 » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:06:01 AM »

If I may be so free to say what I think:

Adding Strategy Guides might be a good idea and could probably help out some people although I think it's a feature that won't see as much use as the hardware database for example. I'm pretty sure half the people here own less than 10 Strategy Guides so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

However, magazines should never be added as a database here. (in my opinion)
It'd be doable for US mags only because there's a lot of US members aswell as US Staff Members. But what if a Finish (just an example) member starts adding Finish magazines to the database...will anybody be able to review these submissions? Most likely not and RFGen would end up with a database full of errors without even knowing so.

Honestly I wouldn't bother about both and focus on the current databases.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:11:34 AM by Sirgin » Logged
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »

I agree about magazines.  Magazines in themselves aren't directly related to video games.  Sure there's magazines about gaming, but then you'll get some crossover magazines that are gaming/tech magazines and the fine line starts becoming fuzzy.  I think we should focus on getting our game and hardware databases as complete as possible.  When we're staisfied that we've done all we wanted to do with the gaming dbs, then can we start messing around with things outside of the gaming realm.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length