RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:47:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 70891 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »

I was being serious, what does it for me in terms of voice acting is Alucard's voice. The way it almost echos as he speaks has always been cool to me, since they are in an "empty" castle, after all. I think if I was picky, I could point out the delays between conversations, almost as if they sometimes cut off the start/end of a recording too soon. I am not picky though. All that matters to me is gameplay. Graphics and voice-acting are pretty low on my list of needs for a good game.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »

finished! great game, i really enjoyed it. good tip for everything near the end:

Spoiler (hover to show)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »

The first thing you should do when you hit the inverted castle is go directly to that shield. I couldn't get it done so quickly without that, although I do run out of Mana rather quickly earlier on. You really do have to balance killing enough enemies to level up with bypassing as many as you can afford to. Otherwise, I am either under-leveled and getting eaten alive by some of the more powerful bosses, or overpowered and taking forever to get the job done.

What would you guys think if you had a time limit to beat the game? A couple endings are based on completion, but I think it would have been really cool if there was a fifth ending for beating it quickly along with the regular stipulations.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »

To everyone enjoying this game for the first time, I highly recommend the GBA and DS Castlevania's.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2014, 05:45:41 AM »

What would you guys think if you had a time limit to beat the game? A couple endings are based on completion, but I think it would have been really cool if there was a fifth ending for beating it quickly along with the regular stipulations.

No.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2014, 06:56:17 AM »

the voice acting is terrible, and i can't tell if those who say they like it are being sarcastic or not...
I don't think anyone is being sarcastic. I think some is okay and some is bad. You also have to consider the lines that were written for the actors and the editing. Some of the lines are awkward and I think the editing is of the voices is very poor, but I don't know if this was a PlayStation issue or not. By this I mean, there are too many pauses between sentences and exchanges.

Richter is beyond atrocious. That actor is clearly inexperienced and just reading words off of a piece of paper.
I think the Librarian is the best actor. A little hokey, but I imagine that's how a creepy old librarian in Dracula's castle would talk.

It doesn't need it, but it would be ANOTHER cherry on top.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:02:11 AM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »

Week #3 checkpoint is up on initial post.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »

All right! How is everyone doing? Did you guys go in the direction of the outer tower to start the inverted castle? or back towards the entrance? I forgot just how much freedom you are given in your exploration of the inverted castle to get to Dracula. How do you guys like the relatively drastic change in difficulty?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »

I like the idea of the inverted castle, but
Spoiler (hover to show)
Sure, the difficulty amps up a little bit, but after getting a certain OP relic, difficulty isn't much of an issue anymore.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »

There are a few ways you can make it a lot easier on yourself. A couple OP weapon combos, the really good relics, and always good, old-fashioned grinding for levels with a couple of my favorite enemies to farm.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »

Today I got to the Colluseum and started fighting Belmont's monsters.  Should I not be fighting him yet?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:56 PM »

Today I got to the Colluseum and started fighting Belmont's monsters.  Should I not be fighting him yet?

Not really sure what "Belmont's monsters" is. Can you give a better description and tell me which castle they are in? Thanks

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »

I think he means when you fight the Werewolf and Mino
Today I got to the Colluseum and started fighting Belmont's monsters.  Should I not be fighting him yet?

If you are at the point I think, you don't even fight Richter. Belmont's monsters = Werewolf and Minotaur?

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:15 AM »

Yeah, must be the Werewolf/Minotaur combo. 

Also, I completed the game through Dracula but I skipped a few "non-essential" squares in search of a faster time and it cost me the finish percentage I was hoping for.  I'm going to livestream this complete game on Oct. 25th as part of a marathon but I'm going to run through it yet again before that hoping for sub-4hr and 196%+

[img width=700 height=393]http://oi60.tinypic.com/16jpiqd.jpg[/img]

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2014, 06:27:19 AM »

I like the idea of the inverted castle, but
Spoiler (hover to show)
Continually changing forms? I think you have to do more of that in the normal castle.
Spoiler (hover to show)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length