RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:34:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | NEW GAME ROOM PICS AFTER OUR BASEMENT HAS BEEN WATERPROOFED!!! YAY!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: NEW GAME ROOM PICS AFTER OUR BASEMENT HAS BEEN WATERPROOFED!!! YAY!!!  (Read 4504 times)
Raence
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

The CRT tubes are considered by many people as having the best picture overall. The does exclude flat televisions because of the way they abuse them.

CRTs generally have a better black level and a much greater viewing angle than a LCD. Sunlight can play a factor which I've seen plasma's work really well in rooms like that. Both CRT and LCD can burn in but it is rather rare this day.  Although, I would like to point out a DLP television as another choice., no change of burn in and you get a bigger television for a much lower price. Although its viewing angle is restrictive just like a lcd. They can also have rainbow problems but to each their own.

In the end, I'd suggest just going and looking at televisions. Everyone has their own preference. Although remember to take into account the lighting and to play with the picture settings.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

The CRT tubes are considered by many people as having the best picture overall. The does exclude flat televisions because of the way they abuse them.

CRTs generally have a better black level and a much greater viewing angle than a LCD. Sunlight can play a factor which I've seen plasma's work really well in rooms like that. Both CRT and LCD can burn in but it is rather rare this day.  Although, I would like to point out a DLP television as another choice., no change of burn in and you get a bigger television for a much lower price. Although its viewing angle is restrictive just like a lcd. They can also have rainbow problems but to each their own.

In the end, I'd suggest just going and looking at televisions. Everyone has their own preference. Although remember to take into account the lighting and to play with the picture settings.

Agreed. I may actually ask for only[/i] a new tv, and nothing else for x-mas & birthday. My parents usually spend about $300 or so on stuff including books for b-day and x-mas, so a $250-400 tv is very possible. Smiley

Tell me about your variants...
Tan
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »

Projection, LCD and Plasma also aren't compatible with older lightguns. CRTs also have a superior response time (video lag).

It really is worthwhile to have an older TV or two sitting around for the older systems. Even better to have a couple Commodore monitors instead. You'll never see Sega Master and NES games look so good as they do on a 1702.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:35 AM »

Agreed. I may actually ask for only a new tv, and nothing else for x-mas & birthday. My parents usually spend about $300 or so on stuff including books for b-day and x-mas, so a $250-400 tv is very possible. Smiley
I'd give it a shot Smiley

In my opinion, I'd still go for an LCD TV though. It doesn't weigh as much, it looks better, it takes up less room, consumes less power and cannot explode like CRT TV's can. (Seen it happen at my dad's in real life, wasn't an explosion, but his TV started smoking while we were watching!)

And about the viewing angle, I never noticed that before. Current day LCD TV's have a viewing angle of like 175°, that should be more than sufficient.
UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:00 AM »

Nice collection!
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »

Nice Playstations you've got there!!!!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »

Nice Playstations you've got there!!!!!

XD Wink

Tell me about your variants...
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:44 PM »

I also recommend a CRT HD TV if you can find them.  My 36" is not something you want to move more than once, but wow, it has a gorgeous picture!  The black levels on the Condemned series and Bioshock are a sight to behold- much richer than the LCD I have in the same room.  If you have someone to help you move it, grab one!

Keelah se'lai
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »

The black levels on the Condemned series and Bioshock are a sight to behold- much richer than the LCD I have in the same room. 
Is the picture quality so much better that it's worth all the disadvantages it has over LCD?
Sega2099
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »

Nice collection my friend.

Sega2099
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »

P.S. We have a 46in. LCD in our living room!

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »

nice collection...as far a tvs yea get a bigger one for the newer systems but on the older ones stick with smaller no frills stuff. Ive got my 360 hooked up to a hitatchi 56" rear projection HDTV (no burn in after a ton of hours) the ps2/dreamcast/n64 plugged into a vizio 48" LCD and the older systems I run on my little 25" sanyo from who knows when, and it works perfect, tried the genesis on the vizio and while the big screen was cool it didnt look great..just my two cents though

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

P.S. We have a 46in. LCD in our living room!
That must be cool to play on. Smiley
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »

Coming along nicely Smiley
Your collection reminds me of mine a couple years ago.
Except for the fact that you have nicer stuff and a larger selection lol

Nonner242
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »

Nice collection! I love CRT for any system PS2 and down. Older non Video modded game system look horrible on most if not all HD widescreens IMHO, but LCD HD 1080p for my 360 up looks sweet as hell!

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length