RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:27:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Finally scored a TI-99/4A 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finally scored a TI-99/4A  (Read 7241 times)
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« on: June 27, 2004, 06:06:40 AM »

the search for a TI-99/4A is over! yeah I know big deal right? I've been looking for one of these for a long time. Over the last few years I've aquired 18 games for it and have had a few near misses on the computer.

The first one I found was missing about half the keys so I passed on it, the second one I found had no power supply and the case was in very poor condition.

well yesterday I found one boxed and in immaculate condition. for $15 bucks I walked out of that thrift store a happy man. I tried out about half the games I have for it last night. woo hoo!

btw way, anyone know what joysticks are compatable with it?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 06:23:18 PM »

well shucks, nobody cares about my cool TI-99.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 06:27:17 PM »

Naw that's a cool find.  Mine mostly just sits in its box inside of another box buried in a pile of boxes, but it's good to hear that your quest for a TI-99 is over!  It's a good system to have around, but it doesn't really get me excited about gaming or even collecting.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 06:31:15 AM »

thank you I feel better now.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 07:15:19 AM »

Oh I am always on the look out for one, just never got one yet.

Don't you have to type "OLD" as a command when loading in from tape?

My friend had a game called "Painter" for it I think, that's the only game I ever played on it. Did briefly have a couple myself actually, but always totally broken and beyond repair. Sad

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 04:54:01 AM »

old? heh heh, I'll have to look into that. pretty funny. I've had games for it for awhile, 18 actually, so it was pretty cool to finally be able to play them. I don't have sticks yet so using the keyboard is all I've got. I have manuals for some of the games but not all. PArsec and TI Invaders are pretty good. Burgertime is pretty good too. Dig DUg looks good but I can't figure out what keys to use.

A couple games I have are those Scott Adams text adventures which don't really interest me. I also have a couple more educational type games and puzle types like HAngman and Connect Four.

I just picked up a Commodore monitor for $4 bucks that works with the TI-99 too. Now if I can just find some joysticks...

shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 06:05:00 AM »

congrats on the TI-99 den!  those things are pretty cool and it must be great that the search is now over.  

i know its not your style, but here are some joy sticks:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...;item=8114731824&rd=1

i have a question for you now, what is the TI-994a?  is that about the same thing?

congrats again!  drunk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 06:05:22 AM by shadytool » Logged
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 06:55:38 AM »

the TI-99/4a was Texas Instruments 2nd version of the TI-99. the only real difference was the keyboard. the TI-99/4 had calculater style keys, the 4a had the typewriter style keys. TI also had a version of the 4a that was in the biege plastic. the one I have is the black with metal trim version.

jonlester
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »

Also the TI-99/4 had RF shielding issues that hampered its entry to the market. It's one of the first 16-bit home computers.

Try www.vintagefunworld.com for joysticks - he has one pair for $8. I know I risk getting you to buy them before I can but I think he's able to restock.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »

$8 bucks? not bad I'll have to check that out. that auction Shady posted ended up going for more than I paid for the computer. I'm pretty patient about finding stuff though. I always figure I'll EVENTUALLY stumble upon it at a thrift store or garage sale. I sat on a pile of games for that TI-99 for a long time before I finally found one. thanks for the tip.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length