RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:29:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Desert Island Discs (RF Gen version) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Desert Island Discs (RF Gen version)  (Read 1100 times)
Tan
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »

Excerpt from the original www.1up.com article:

If you could play just one game for the rest of your life, what would it be? Would you hope to milk more hours of joy out of an all-time favorite? Or would you be more pragmatic, cunningly selecting an epic game for longevity and replay value? When the chips are down, what's the one game that would bring you the most entertainment over the longest period of time?

We turned to some of the best-known personalities in the videogame industry to answer these very questions -- and asked everyone at the 1UP Network to weigh in as well. Here's the scenario: You're about to be stranded on a deserted island. You can bring just one game with you, on any system. But here's the catch: While the island has electricity, it doesn't have Internet access -- so the easy, open-ended choices like MMORPGs are right out. And we added another wrinkle for our developer friends: They weren't allowed to pick their own games.

We asked each respondent to pick just one desert island disc, but we knew it would be a tough decision. So we allowed each person to name one more desert island discard, a game that almost made the cut...but not quite.

Think you know what games your favorite industry personalities might choose? Find out inside........READ MORE

So I thought We'd have our very own Desert Island Discs. Remember that your favorite all-time game may not necessarily fit the bill for longevity and we're talking years maybe even decades so choose wisely, same for the "runner-up"

Game:Command & Conquer: Red Alert
This game I can play for minutes, hours, or even days straight. I never get bored of it, and am still hopelessly addicted after all these years. Few games can make the time pass like this one can. I couldn't count how many times I've missed a meal or pulled an all-nighter for this game. What better to take with you than an endless source of entertainment.

Runner-up: Tetris DX
My favorite version of Tetris and probably the game that gets more play than anything else I own for any system period. It's runner-up because as good and addicting as it is it doesn't have the variety and scope of involvement that C&C has. But it's a close second because I play it almost every day, makes a nice unwind distraction before bedtime.
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »

Tetris and a brick boy for life!

Yoshi's Cookie as a close second.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:49:07 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:35:06 AM »

Final Fantasy NES

Dragon Warrior NES

I'm still trying to beat these bad boy's.  Granted I don't play as much as I used too.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:56:57 AM »

We're assuming that there's no one else on the island with you, right?

Tan
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:51 AM »

We're assuming that there's no one else on the island with you, right?

If there was they'd be mighty offended that you were spending so much time playing these games as opposed to enjoyng the pleasure of their company.  Tongue

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »

I'd take one of the Myst games because they are fairly long and I would have all the time in the world to think the puzzles over.

As a backup, I'd take Meteos since it's so addictive.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
DarthKur
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »

For a "disc" selection I'd choose either Atari Anniversary Edition Redux or Activision Classics for the PS1. If it had to be just a single cart than that makes it an extremely difficult choice indeed. Perhaps Monopoly, Beamrider, Sonic 2, SMB 3, Donkey Kong or Qix. I don't know if I could really make a choice like that without a gun pointed at my head.  Grin

The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.
Tan
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:37:35 PM »

gunsniper

How's that?  Wink
two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 05:44:03 PM »

zelda oot

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:14:37 PM »

Command & Conquer: First Decade

Street of Rage 2

DarthKur
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »

gunsniper

How's that?  Wink

laugh  It's still not an easy choice.   razz

The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.
shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 11:50:39 AM »

Well just based on longevity and replay value I would have to choose Final Fantasy Tactics.  I've only beaten it once and I barely scratched the surface as far as job classes and item collection went.  Either that or one of NIS's strategy RPG's for the PS2 (Disgaea, Phantom Brave, or LaPucelle Tactics).

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length