RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:48:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | hidden gems for ps2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: hidden gems for ps2  (Read 6699 times)
Confiusion
N-Gage

Stats
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

What games are your personal favorites that didn't have as much success as they might had deserved?

My personal favorites are XIII and Mashed.

XIII is a comic style first person shooter which featured a nice story and had beautiful visuals by that time

Mashed is a racer alike micro machines and is a huge party game. Theres a sequel available on the current generation consoles called Wrecked: Revenge Revisited
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

The two Obscure games can be a lot of fun if you can get a buddy to play through them with you.  I wouldn't recommend them in single-player.

The .hack series is pretty fun.  Sure they're collector pieces now, but I feel like many people never actually play these games.  Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is another RPG that I thought was pretty good but nobody ever talks about.

And while I haven't played them myself, I hear Disaster Report and Raw Danger are hidden gems.

Confiusion
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »

The two Obscure games can be a lot of fun if you can get a buddy to play through them with you.  I wouldn't recommend them in single-player.

The .hack series is pretty fun.  Sure they're collector pieces now, but I feel like many people never actually play these games.  Arc The Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is another RPG that I thought was pretty good but nobody ever talks about.

And while I haven't played them myself, I hear Disaster Report and Raw Danger are hidden gems.

I agree with you on obscure, me and a friend of mine were really stuck in this game for 2-3 hours till we didn't know where to go and were lost for half an hour so we sadly quit it.

Never heard of Raw Danger though.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »

Came to post these. Two of my favorite games of all time.

Playstation 2 is by far my favorite console, and hidden gems are my bread and butter. I'll post a good list when I'm home and have some time.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »

I just got XIII at the last trade event at the store. I haven't gotten to play it yet though.

I love the Maximo series as well

Now your playing with power!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »

I had a ton of fun with Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. Its a pretty common and cheap RPG as well, but you don't see it talked about as often as other PS2 RPGs and its up there among the best.

Haunting Ground is an awesome survival horror game, but it went through a price skyrocket lately and is in the upper echelon of price for the entire system's library now. It plays like Clock Tower, but is more in line with the older Clock Towers than the bland Clock Tower 3 on PS2.

GrimGrimoire is a fun strategy game from Vanillaware, so it has stylish art and is a uniquely fun game to boot!

The Shin Megami Tensei library on PS2 isn't so much of a hidden gem anymore, but back in the system's heyday I rarely saw the series get mentioned.

The heavily photoshopped guy in my avatar comes from Suikoden V, so check that out.

Finally, Tony Hawk's Underground is the best Tony Hawk game ever made. Not a hidden gem at all, but everybody should play this!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »

Got all excited to try and find a copy of this Mashed game you were talking up only to find out it wasn't released over here Sad

And Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 is the best Tony Hawk game ever made Wink

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

Crabby - Drive to Survive was released in the US, which is the US version of Mashed:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-13220-A

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »

Good catch Shadow.

Pretty cool looking game. Never even heard of it until today, now it's definitely on my radar. Thanks OP!

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

mashed looks like a lot of fun, the gameplay and car physics remind me of the super sprint arcade games:

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »

Sweet! Thanks Ray!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:01 PM »

And Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 is the best Tony Hawk game ever made Wink

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »

No problem. It helps that I did the Variation Tie-In in the first place when I did the Region updates for Euro PS2. Wink
I jokingly told my wife that I might as well live in Europe, since the only thing I edit these days is European releases. She's been thinking of moving somewhere in Europe since I mentioned it.  Shocked

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »

No problem. It helps that I did the Variation Tie-In in the first place when I did the Region updates for Euro PS2. Wink
I jokingly told my wife that I might as well live in Europe, since the only thing I edit these days is European releases. She's been thinking of moving somewhere in Europe since I mentioned it.  Shocked
Be careful what you casually mention around people who's decisions effect your life Wink
My beloved told me when we were dating, "I just ask two things.  One, I don't like cold, so please help me avoid that.  Two, I don't like being late."  Yeah.  We moved from Mississippi to Pennsylvania, and had three kids...  strike those requests.

Crabby - Drive to Survive was released in the US, which is the US version of Mashed:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-072-S-13220-A

THIS is why I love picking up games I know little about when they're cheap.  I think I picked this up for a buck or two, well worth it.

What games are your personal favorites that didn't have as much success as they might had deserved?

As for the actual topic, I second GrimGrimoire and raise you an Odin Sphere.  Fantastic game, save for the frame rate.  It doesn't have as much, er, objectionable bounce as Dragon's Crown, and has a fantastic multi-angled story.

Just a casual glance at the collection also offers;

Adventures of Cookie and Cream - a fun co-op offering, always welcome in our home.

Bombastic is a peculiarly named sequel to Devil Dice, one of my favorite puzzlers, and has everything in that game and more.

City Crisis is a nifty pilot-the-helicopter-in-city-emergencies sim.

Culdcept is a fantastic Magic the Gathering meets Monopoly multiplayer game that takes about as much time to complete as an actual Monopoly game

Both Dark Cloud games are good fun

Drakan: The Ancient Gates are what I wanted the Drakenguard games to be

I really liked Dropship: United Peace Force, as you play the titular craft in a sort of support role

PS2 has a decent port of Escape from Monkey Island, and if I need to tell you what that is, you should have a hilarious date with Youtube

Flipnic is a neat game for fellow pinball fans

The Ghost in the Shell game was surprisingly decent IMHO

The Growlanser games on PS2 are tough to find but worth it for SRPG fans; same with Front Mission 4 and Stella Deus.

Both Gungrave games are arcade-y fun

I liked Herdy Gerdy, but that's probably because it's more oddball than fun to play.

I personally liked Jade Cocoon 2 more than the Pokémon games.

Klonoa 2 seems much lesser known than the PSX game

If you liked Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics is the precursor and pretty decent.  Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and Soul Nomad are also in the same vein.

Many lesser-known RPGs, like Metal Saga, the first Magna Carta, MS Saga, Okagi, Ys: Ark of Napishtim, the Shadow Hearts series, Rogue Galaxy, and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land have been looked over.

I think I like NeoGeo Battle Coliseum more than most, but I never hear folks talk about it

I thought the port of No One Lives Forever was decent, as was Tribes: Aerial Assault and Half Life (with the Blue Shift add-on!)

There's always Stretch Panic, if you never want your girlfriend to talk to you again...

Everyone seems to forget that PaRappa the Rapper had a fun PS2 sequel.

I still say that the PS2 original Transformers (by Atari, before the movie games,) is the best Transformers game.

Tokobot Plus is an interesting platformer/puzzle game.

And there are many more I'm looking at, but I'm just going to stop for now...

Oh!

The Red Star is a fantastic action game that fits the very definition of a hidden gem.

Keelah se'lai
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:43:18 PM »

Actually, my wife and I have discussed moving out of the country for a while. I've brought up Canada, Japan, Taiwan and Thailand in the past - Europe was just the most recent, and their education and health systems would greatly benefit our situation. After the family (between my wife and her mother) has spent > $80k on health care in the past few years in the US, and seeing that it would've only cost ~$2k overseas, we're pretty fed up.

No Gitaroo Man mentions?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:48:39 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length