RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 03:46:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Sales Extravaganza | The Holy Grail of a SEGA Saturn Collection 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Holy Grail of a SEGA Saturn Collection  (Read 6716 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: June 07, 2007, 05:04:17 AM »

That's what I listed it as and it cane be found here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws...tem&item=300122127596

How well will it sell? Only time will tell.
Bidders from the US and definitely Europe and the UK have a big advantage with their currency being worth considerably more.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 05:51:08 AM by Cobra Blade » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »

I saw that yesterday. I see no reason why that would get 6k.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »

It cost me well over 8k to make the creation, plus you can't underestimate the rareness of the collection.
eg. The Video-CD Saturn alone is the only one on eBay at the moment, and a Google search doesn't help much.

Not to mention it's a PAL version, but modified to play any games.
Plus the rareness of some of the games,  Radiant Silvergun sells for over $200au on it's own.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:02:34 PM by Cobra Blade » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »

I figured it was worth a shot since over the 3 years I put it together it cost over 8000.

Don't get me wrong there is some nice stuff but in large lots people are looking for smoking deals I think. I wish you good luck. If you want to make money off it try breaking it up.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »

I'll give this a few attempts first. But if all else fails I may have to break it down.
9 watches so far, and was hoping this would make a bigger splash since it's only 50 games shy of a complete PAL collection, something I have never seen on eBay in all my years using it.

Thanks for wishing me luck.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 09:49:50 PM »

Why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:51:30 PM »

My love of Sega has finally run dry.
I would always stick up for them and I feel rightfully so. Once upon a time anything they touched turned to magic. It was a company you could be proud of. I know it was talked about a long ago in this thread started by Dramcaster
http://www.rfgeneration.c...um/index.php?topic=4176.0

But why sell it now, after all that post was from last year even?
Because every last decision Sega has made has been the wrong one. Now it's finally got the the point I have no pride in them at all. Hell, I only even brought one game for my Saturn this year, and have only played the Saturn twice this year, and one of those times was to play the game I had brought for it.

I can say I like companies like Commodore and Apple with pride because they stay true to themselves. Commodore died, but with honour. They could of hoped onto the new trend and just become a reseller of IBM's Frankenstein PC design, but they stayed true. Apple likewise, while still with us, they still make their Macs. Regardless of how much they lack in sales compared to PCs, they don't care and stay true. They don't suddenly make their oppositions product just because that's where the real money is.

Ever since Sonic and Mario teamed up that was it for me. I couldn't think of any bigger insult having been such a hardcore Sega fan for all those years.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:21:43 AM »

I understand but decision made today doesn't change the fact of how great they where in the past.

two_scoop_steve
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »

i think you should keep it all, who cares if sega sucks now. that is a pretty nice lot with alot of good games, you will miss it when it's gone.

Tan
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »

I understand but decision made today doesn't change the fact of how great they where in the past.

Exactly, you only deny yourself that chance to re-live Sega's glory. Realistically you should have sold it years ago when they went third party if you really feel that strongly. In the end it will still be a silent protest and you may never have the opprotunity to have it like this again so make sure it's a financial decision and not a personal one.

How did Commodore stay true to itself? it's name has been whored out and abused as bad as Atari's. Have you looked at the new Commodore lately? Is ipod, itunes and iphone staying true to Apple? Don't forget these are businesses, and ones that have adapted and changed with the times. The hardcore fans may not agree but Sega hasn't been a well respected leader since the Genesis. Saturn and DC's sales figures and commercial failures tell that tale well enough.

You should look at it from a half-full perspective. Nintendo is notoriously protective about it's franchises. To have Sonic side by side with Mario is the biggest sign of respect and admiration they could possibly offer Sega. Considering the terrible games Sega has released under the Sonic name over the past while Nintendo is taking a big chance. Either way it doesn't affect what Sega did in the past.

Microsoft's involvement in the Dreamcast didn't shake you why should this?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:16 AM »

Commodore did stay true though, and died in '94. They went bankrupt.
That's why we see the name getting tossed about and even separated (Amiga is no longer one with Commodore).
I believe Apple is still staying true, but simply expanding their business into other areas of success. Sega did the same thing, they started off just repairing arcade machines. Then they also started making them as well, then they went from repairing and making arcade games to making home computer and console games. Then to making their own systems, followed by handheld systems.

It's not any one thing, simply the final nail in the coffin for me.
Dragon Force being ported to PS2 actually annoyed me more than all else, since to me that was the Saturn. It was the one game that made me buy a Saturn when I was already enjoying my MegaDrive/Mega-CD/32X/MegaMaster Converter machine with no intention of ever upgrading.
I don't hate Sega, but no longer have any passion in maintaining and building this collection any more. I honestly feel there is someone out there that will be more dedicated, and get a lot more joy out of it than me now.

Tan
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:46:33 AM »

http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Splash.aspx

You could argue it's just name abuse but they had their price, all businesses do. Not that far off of Sammy buying Sega 3 years ago.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »

Commodore had no say in any of this however, as stated they went bankrupt and its assets were liquidated in '94. It had been struggling ever since '92 and had almost gone bankrupt then but was bailed out then but there was no escaping their fate in the end.
That company dose own the name and trademarks, logos, technology, etc.

Those that acquired these from the government after Commodore's death are playing on the whole nostalgia idea for sales.
Like you said, the name has been tossed around ever since and this is where it stands at the moment. Before this, it was a mobile phone game company.

Funnily enough, out of the multiple companies that now own the Amiga trademark, one seems much more dedicated to the original Commodore, with them currently still making updates to Amiga's original OS for power PCs.

Lenneth
N-Gage
Australia

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 04:28:48 AM »

If you decide to split it up please put it on here first. It's much easier for me to buy off an Australian than going on Ebay. ^_^
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:18:13 AM »

Long time no see cobra.

Good luck with it.

oh btw

SCAN & SUBMIT EVERYTHING BEFORE IT SELLS!!!!
Wink

EDIT
Oh and if you split it up keep me in mind for MK2 Wink
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:20:27 AM by Izret101 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length