RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:41:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Collecting History 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Collecting History  (Read 2310 times)
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »

All or most of us here are video game collectors. I'd say that it's a safe bet that all or most of us collect or have collected other things too. I myself have been a voracious collector as far back as I can remember. Right now video games are my main focus but I do have several other collections going.

So let's here some collecting history.

First collection?

Past collections?

Something you've collected off and on over the years?

Current collections?

For me the first thing I remember collecting was bottle caps. This was in the mid to late 70's.I had tons of beer and soda caps. Most had a dent from the bottle opener as twist tops were still a new thing back then. I also had some of the pull top caps from the Mickey's Malt Liguor wide mouth bottles and the ceramic corks from the Groelsch bottles.

Then it was keychains and bumper stickers. Especially the radio station WRIF (Sauza oughta know these). I collected hub caps for awhile till I filled my dads garage and we took them all to the scrap yard.

I've done trading cards, action figures and comic books.

A few that I've collected off and on over the years would include toy cars, Yo-Yo's, Viewmaster and stamps.

Legos is another off and on collection that I've been adding to again lately. The Bionicle series is the one I've added the most off . The old sets seem to be in the clearance bin everywhere to make room for the new sets.

I've also been collecting anime, but just what I find in the thrift stores. This means it's mostly VHS and Dragon Ball Z but I have found a few others like Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, Kimera, and Mobile Suit Gundam.

And video games of course.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 11:26:54 AM by den68 » Logged

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 11:56:05 AM »

WRIF rocks!  Wink

My first collection was comic books.  I mainly bought Marvel, but I did like a few DC titles.

I've collected various action figures throughout my life, most notably GI Joe, X-man, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

For a while I was buying anything Metallica I could find.  I think right now I am standing at about 50 Metallica CD's, a coulpe of records, and a ton of video's, posters and stickers.

Video games is really the only thing that I have come back to time and time again.  I can think of at least 5 different times in my life that I have come back to video game collecting after a brief lapse.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 12:01:05 PM »

Same as Den i have been collecting various things for as long as i can remember.
First was probably just toy cars when i was to young to car what they where.
Collected Pokemon cards too i still have all of my old cards (roughly 1,000) i have had the first 3 sets nearly complete for the past 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately their value plummeted. The complete Basic set had a highest value of around 700 dollars to under 100 now if i remember correctly these numbers correctly.
Then coins and videogames and magic cards. When i realized that I videogames and Magic cards could be both played and increase in value I stopped collecting pretty much. Still have all of the coins though. Oldest is a nickle from 1905 and i have a few complete books of coins from specific dates(dimes, pennies, nickles)
Magic Cards are starting to wane too. I am actually coming close to selling them. But they are tons of fun to play and whenever i play cards i pick up stuff to add to my collection. Most valuable card i have is worth 30-50 bucks and i have around 3,000 cards.
Collecting Videogames is obviously the one i spend the most time and money on for the last few years. Strangely i figured it out based on my reciepts and recent purchases that since i have started collecting i have only spend approx. $1,500. And 1/4 of that was in the last year. That leaves alot of free junk and cheap stuff i have gotten over the last 6 years.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 07:11:34 PM »

I've collected almost EVERYTHING (that I could afford) at some point or another.  My first collection was coins, which started because my dad and his dad were both coin collectors.  Most of my stuff is U.S., but my uncle travelled a LOT around the globe, so I have coins and paper money from probably sixty or seventy countries - maybe more.

I've also collected bottle caps, any kind of sports card you can imagine (baseball, football, hockey, basketball, olympic [wtf?!], and many more), movies, music, sports programs, magazines, National Geographics, computer equipment, posters, postcards, those pressed pennies with images on them, decks of cards, suits, POGs, Magic cards, other CCG cards, video games (obviously), Hot Wheels, Ninja Turtles, Ohio State memorbilia, ticket stubs, etc., etc., etc.  I'm forgetting lots of stuff.  I think you get the idea though.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 10:37:56 AM »

those pressed pennies with images on them

yeah, got quite a few of those myself.

also forgot to mention HO scale slot car race tracks. the old AFX or TYCO jobs. I've got about 25 of them and most recently scored one at a church rummage sale for $2 bucks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 10:46:55 AM by den68 » Logged

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:18:52 AM »

I first started collecting Magic The Gathering cards (and still do just not nearly as much), now I collect games, and as soon as I turn 18 I'm collecting weapons (swords and knives mostly).

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 11:19:01 AM »

You guys dont mean the ones that people put 51 cents in the machine and get one pushed out do you?

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 01:14:18 PM »

That's what I mean.  I have waaaaay too many of them.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 02:59:43 PM »

I first started collecting Magic The Gathering cards (and still do just not nearly as much), now I collect games, and as soon as I turn 18 I'm collecting weapons (swords and knives mostly).

I have a few daggers and this other wierd knife thing. It looks cool though so that all that counts.

This is what it looks like... i should really clean my dresser.

* DSC00403.JPG (379.83 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 205 times.)

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 08:13:25 AM »

Must.....resize.....pic... |D

I bought a couple of swords and what not after I turned 18, and I still carry around a bo that I bought, but I realized that I would never do anything with them so I stopped buying them.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length