RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 06:48:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 70962 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »

I know I'm terribly late with first impressions, but right away I must say the voice acting in this game is second to none.  Sooooo good.

I love this game already.  I played for 2 hours straight the other night, which is saying a lot because it's hard for me to find the time to play a game for that long uninterrupted.  It's definitely "metroid-vania", and It's fanfriggintastic.  I love the gothic scenery, the controls are great, the music is fantastic, the monsters are cool, and the menu screen aint half bad either. 

Where have you been all my life?

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »

Good to have another Castlevirgin in the group.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2014, 11:30:04 AM »

I've played the first 3 NES Castlevanias to death, but for some reason I was never interested in Symphony of the Night.  But now I'm probably gonna go out and buy every 'Vania with this format

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

Yeah I guess I should clarify that this is my first "Metroidvania" as well. Super Castlevania IV has been a long time favorite of mine.

I'm also going to seek out the rest of these games. I recently got my copy of Circle of the Moon, which was the next one to come out.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »

The way the monsters are dispatched is amazing and so highly detailed. Bloody Zomie cut in half blood spurt ranks as one of the best!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »

I've played the first 3 NES Castlevanias to death, but for some reason I was never interested in Symphony of the Night.  But now I'm probably gonna go out and buy every 'Vania with this format

Aria of Sorrow on GBA is great! Instead of random dropped items, it has Soul Stealing, where you can take abilities from creatures.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #186 on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:50 AM »

My favorite Metroidvania style game is Order of Ecclesia, you finally get out of the damn castle and have an overworld map where you can choose all kinds of Metroid map styled environments.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2014, 12:19:34 PM »

As a quick "FYI", if you guys enjoy this game try "Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night". It's Puzzle Fighter meets SotN's storyline, including bosses, items, and map locations. Essentially, SotN with the combat replaced by Puzzle Fighter!

For Boshamp: It's on Windows Phone and has achievements!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:21:07 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »

I know I'm terribly late with first impressions, but right away I must say the voice acting in this game is second to none.  Sooooo good.
Lol. I personally don't think the voice acting is bad, but this game is notorious for having some of the worst voice acting in video game history. I don't see it, but I guess others do. To each his own.

The most important thing is that you're enjoying this masterpiece for the first time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:49:04 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2014, 01:09:19 PM »

Has anyone played Castlevania: Harmony of Despair on Xbox Live or PSN?

It's basically multi-player Symphony of the Night formatted into levels instead of a wide open area. You can play as almost any protagonist from Castlevania; Alucard, Richter, Simon, Maria, Shanoa, Soma etc. Each character has their own unique abilities and gear that you'll find and keep throughout the game. You can play solo, but it's much better with others.

If you enjoy Symphony of the Night, this is a MUST get.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »

For Boshamp: It's on Windows Phone and has achievements!

Heck yes! As much as I hate buying WP games over playing just the free ones, this one, I might have to go ahead and pick up.

I love this game already.  I played for 2 hours straight the other night, which is saying a lot because it's hard for me to find the time to play a game for that long uninterrupted.  It's definitely "metroid-vania", and It's fanfriggintastic.  I love the gothic scenery, the controls are great, the music is fantastic, the monsters are cool, and the menu screen aint half bad either. 

Where have you been all my life?

I agree, this game is phenomenal, the voice acting was ahead of its time, and I have been known to complete the game in one sitting. The first time you play through, you have to search and search for the relics, missed rooms, backtrack, etc. leaving you wandering around the castle a dozen or so times; but after playing it so many times, you know where everything is and while it becomes a more linear experience, nothing is taken away from the game itself. Replay value is huge in this game, and for me, it feels short now, but the quality gets even better when you are only about 10-15 minutes between each cut-scene.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »

I've got a copy, but haven't played through it at all.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

the voice acting is terrible, and i can't tell if those who say they like it are being sarcastic or not...

fyi i love this game so far, it's really great. i feel bad that most of the posts i'm making seem to be negative commentary, but it's always easier to point out the bad than the good in something.
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

fyi i love this game so far, it's really great. i feel bad that most of the posts i'm making seem to be negative commentary, but it's always easier to point out the bad than the good in something.

Ah! See? This was me with Ico.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »

Ah! See? This was me with Ico.

i know right? the tables have turned
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length